1.    #1  
    I have managed to get our vpn working on my TP and it seems to be working as it should. We have a Cisco VPN concentrator with multiple working clients and changes I make get pushed down pretty quick.

However, the only problem that I seem to be having is setting the WINS server ip address on the TP. All of my other clients devices seem to support this configuration but the TP only allows me to edit the DNS details on the wireless setup. Whatever additional IP information I am receiving when the VPN is connected seems to be hidden. All I can see is the actual device IP address.

Is there anyway for me to tell if the TP is getting the correct DNS/WINS information? I thought maybe though the xecutah/xserver/xterm combination I might be able to see something but I am not a linux expert. I have used this combination sucessfully to map network drives but thats about all I know.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    ifconfig on an xterm will display your settings. WINS is antiquated and only supported through Samba on linux. Your DNS servers will show up with ifconfig.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  3.    #3  
    Unfortunately for me a WINS server is required. DNS cannot handle internal VPN resolutions.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Are you serious? WINS is deprecated and should basically be phased out everywhere.
    Read this thread: WINS vs. DNS - AnandTech Forums
    Even Microsoft has abandoned WINS.

Also Cisco VPN concentrators all support DNS.
    If you really want to go down the path, there is a way to support samba on Uberkernel.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  5.    #5  
    Our VPN does support DNS but its only used for split tunneling. The only way to force your VPN clients to resolve internal hostnames is using netbios resolution. Trust me, its not something I want to do.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Well there's a thread on mounting samba shares using uberkernel. Since samba supports wins-based netbios name resolution I'm guessing that's the best thing to chase after.

Hey, at least your win95 clients are still working
  7.    #7  
    Do you have a link to this thread?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
  9.    #9  
    Ive gone this route already. I dont have any problems mounting a share but it only works via IP. I think I will be left dissapointed on this.