1.    #1  
    I believe I have issues with Location Services. I have found that none of the mapping apps find my exact location, even though I have "Use Google Services" on and all the other options set so they can get the information. Bing maps points to my location as being about 7 miles from my actual location when I am at home.

I ran the diagnostics, and everything but Location came out just fine. Location could not find a signal. I am using my broadband wifi at home and connecting to the wifi just fine with full internet access.

NDrive is the only program that does find me exactly at my location when I am home, but only when I am at home using my broadband wifi. If I am out on the road and use my Novatel Wireless MiFi 2372 w/3G and integrated wifi antennae and GPS antennae, NDrive does not locate me.

The fact that none of the programs can find me when I am using my mobile wifi, along with the failed Location diagnostic test surely means my Location Services don't function as they should.
    I don't have an issue with Location Services. LS finds my IP to be reasonably close to its actual location where ever I am.
    You probably know that the TP don't has a GPS? It's using google service to locate. How Google Collects WiFi Data
    Unless I am tethering, my Touchpad usually finds me (almost exactly where i am) with the wifi signal.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    You probably know that the TP don't has a GPS? It's using google service to locate. How Google Collects WiFi Data
    Yes, I know the TouchPad does not have a GPS, but if Google Services uses the MAC address of my access point, why doesn't it show where I am? My wifi router has a MAC address and my TP has an IP address. Since we have no 3G connection within the TP, we have no MAC address for the TP, just the IP address on the network we are accessing.

My problem is that NDrive for webOS can find me using my home network access point MAC address, but Google Services apparently does not because my Location Services on my TP do not work.

I guess I need to call the help line to see if they can help me.
    Last edited by TheDewWorm; 09/06/2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: additional info
  6.    #6  
    Because I have continuing problems with Location Services locating me, I chatted with HP webOS help for two hours, troubleshooting everything we could possibly think of. My issue has been escalated to level3 personnel who are researching the issue and will get back to me.

I ran the diagnostics on my own prior to my original chat, and found that the test for Location was a hit or miss thing. Sometimes it would report my location at home perfectly, but sometimes not, and became more often not than yes.

The Location Services never located me out on the road, so if some of you can be located at home, please try out on the road to see if it works there.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Unless I am tethering, my Touchpad usually finds me (almost exactly where i am) with the wifi signal.
    What do you use for wifi access when out on the road, in a car or other transportation, not accessing a "commercial" wifi hotspot (like Starbucks, etc.) where your TP Location Services can track you?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Have you tried using a mobile wifi hotspot with the TP Location Services?

If so, does it track your location outside your home (on the road someplace), not using a fixed location wifi hotspot?

I am simply trying to find out why Location Services don't track where my TP is while using a mobile wifi hotspot, traveling anywhere away from home. I can connect to the internet just fine under those conditions, but Location Services doesn't provide my location. I have "Find me using Google Services" on, so they should be able to locate me.
    Most three-year-old companies wouldn’t be considered grisly, experienced veterans, but when you’re talking about the mobile space, innovation ages faster than exponential dog years. At PointAbout, we’ve been racing just in front of the bleeding edge since our inception. Our first efforts in mobile development were based on location-aware applications and mobile device plug-ins back when FourSquare was still just a game kids played at recess. Simply put, global brands trust us with their most daunting development projects because they understand
    the potential cost of things going awry if they’re not working with the best. Why would your organization think any differently? With our unique capabilities in project management, needs assessments and integrated strategies for the enterprise, you can rest assured you’re working with the preeminent team of mobile-oriented minds in the marketplace.
    PointAbout | iPhone App Developer | iPhone Developer DC
    Bing Maps is terrible. I asked it for a location on the east side of Detroit, and when I zoomed out because I couldn't figure out where the hell it left me, it was showing the western side of Mexico.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  11.    #11  
    I had a call from HP Level 3 Help today; they told me they have launched an investigation into Location Services problems because I am not the only one who has issues with not being "found" in my correct location, especially while using a mobile wifi hotspot.

Personally, I am very pleased that HP is so responsive to this problem.

They said they will call me back when they have a resolution, and since they have called me to let me know the status of my issue, I have no reason to doubt that they will again call me to provide an update.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Bing Maps is terrible. I asked it for a location on the east side of Detroit, and when I zoomed out because I couldn't figure out where the hell it left me, it was showing the western side of Mexico.
    It sounds to me as if you are one of the others that HP Level 3 Help meant when they said I am not the only one having issues with Location Services. I live in Florida, but while using a mobile wifi hotspot on the road, Bing would "find" me in North Chicago, Illinois! I was there once or twice, but not since I have had my TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    When I use Facebook, it doesn't find me at all. At least Google Maps locates me off of the WiFi. Anyone else able to get the Facebook checkin working?

EDIT: Nevermind - found where to turn on Google Services under the menu to fix it.
    My location services stopped working the other day. I just had a chat with HP Chat support and they said it was an issue on their end and they are working on it. Anyone know what is going on?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDewWorm View Post
    Have you tried using a mobile wifi hotspot with the TP Location Services?

If so, does it track your location outside your home (on the road someplace), not using a fixed location wifi hotspot?

I am simply trying to find out why Location Services don't track where my TP is while using a mobile wifi hotspot, traveling anywhere away from home. I can connect to the internet just fine under those conditions, but Location Services doesn't provide my location. I have "Find me using Google Services" on, so they should be able to locate me.
    I tried it with the MIFI I have from AT&T that has GPS and it didn't work. As soon as I connected to my home wifi location services would work.

Does anyone know how to get the location services to read the gps from the mifi device?
    Simple Tip Calc http://bit.ly/cdcJIu Review http://bit.ly/a9edpu & World Cup Flags http://bit.ly/daOoeJ
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I too am finding that my apps and also Bing maps is having more and more trouble finding my location. This is becoming troubling since things like WeatherBug will not update while I am traveling, nor can I use all the other apps that help find things while I am on the road. Any update on this? I have been wondering if my Pre2 GPS is not working.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)