Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I didn't see this posted before not sure if it's in the "getting started Guide" but I thought it was worth it's own thread.

    I found this on Youtube and I thought it would be worth it for people to look at it before they overclock to see if they think it is worth it considering the 4% battery loss.



    It has side by side comparisons.

    I still think it is just because of the stutter in the browser.
  2. #2  
    I noticed the Facebook App at the bottom, instead of the "messaging" app. Can you select any app(s) to go on the bottom by the broweser, e-mail, music, etc.? If so, how does one do this?
  3. #3  
    jdmfish

    You can put different icons at the bottom, but you are limited to 6.

    To remove an icon, click and hold until the icon starts floating, then swipe it away.

    To add an icon, from a launcher tab, click and hold an icon until they get the boxes around them and drag it to the launch bar.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
    Can you select any app(s) to go on the bottom by the broweser, e-mail, music, etc.? If so, how does one do this?
    Hmm looks like you can, tap and hold one of the icons on the fastlaunch bar at the bottom, then drag the icon up off the bar and it will disappear - you can then drag another icon from Apps/Downloads etc into the space you've just made on the fastlaunch.
  5. tdoom15's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #5  
    Yea you can, just press and hold down on an icon to move it off the launcher, and press and hold down on an app and drag it on the launcher.
    Treo 680, Treo 750, Pre-, Touchpad
  6. #6  
    You can, you open up the launcher page then drag it right down the bottom iirc.

    As for the video, not quite convinced it's worth OCing yet, from my perspective anyway, but I guess it depends on usage
  7. #7  
    Thanks for all the quick responses. I can only get 5, not 6, but that's ok. Had no idea the apps in the fast-launch bar could be changed..
  8. hanly2's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #8  
    ok so that video makes me want to go back to 1.2 1.5 looks like a waste, not worth the risk
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post
    ok so that video makes me want to go back to 1.2 1.5 looks like a waste, not worth the risk
    I also did not see that much of a difference between the stock 1.2 and 1.5. I installed the Warthog kernel and am running my TP at 1.7 (I think it's 1.718 or something like that, I don't have it with me at work to check the actual #) and that made a world of difference. Apps load much faster and even the HP Catalog loads relatively fast.

    Next comes the inevitable question, what about battery life? Since I'm still in the "playing" phase with my TouchPad I'm using the heck out of it for anywhere from 6 to 10 hours a day. I can get about 7-8 hours of continuous use where the majority of the use is browsing with a little gaming (Angry Birds Rio HD) thrown in and the requisite e-mail, PreWare, and Software Update checks. By this time the battery is showing around 15% so back on the charger it goes.
    Terry Rodecker

    Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
  10. resteasy's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post
    ok so that video makes me want to go back to 1.2 1.5 looks like a waste, not worth the risk
    you mean not worth the battery life? There is no 'risk' of damaging the touchpad @1.5ghz since that is what the manufactured chip is meant to run at.

    So really it's a question of battery life. I have it running at 1.8 and the battery isn't bad at all. I need to test it more but its acceptable as it is.

    Also, remember that overclocking it doesn't always mean it's running at a continuous 1.5 or 1.7 or 1.8 ghz. It will go up as high as 1.x and only stay there if it's needed nuder the load.
    I think that's a misconception a lot of people haven't looked at. (though I think maybe the F4 kernal does? not sure)
    I have the f15c kernal and it only runs at 1.8 when it needs to. For video I don't know its usage and will probably check that out. It'll be different I'd bet between using mkv, xvid and mp4 and kalemsoft or native player
  11. #11  
    I also "overclocked" to 1.5GHz like most people here. IMHO, an increase of 0.3GHz
    isn't really overclocking. However, I did it anyway, just to see what all the fuss
    was about. I honest don't see that much of a difference. I have three Touchpads
    and the stock two run just as fast as the overclocked one.

    Now, if someone comes up with a safe way to go to 2.5GHz, sign me up, Scotty!

    On the other hand, I think the biggest performance gain come from all the patches
    that I got from preware.
    popologuy likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by resteasy View Post
    There is no 'risk' of damaging the touchpad @1.5ghz since that is what the manufactured chip is meant to run at.
    Just because the chip was designed to run that fast doesn't mean that the TouchPad's case and cooling system is designed for it to run that fast/hot. There is a reason it is underclocked.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    So basically overclocking is worthless? The guy in the video is saying the overclocked one "wins" when it accomplishes whatever task less than 100ms faster than the stock clocked one. LOL. I don't think a 25% overclock making an app load 50ms faster is "winning".
    Not sure what you're expecting it to do. Loading isn't the only time it will help -- it will help whenever there's demand on the processor. Depends on what apps you're using on when that will be.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Just because the chip was designed to run that fast doesn't mean that the TouchPad's case and cooling system is designed for it to run that fast/hot. There is a reason it is underclocked.
    It could simply be a binning issue. Lower clocks could have higher chip yields. All chips may not run 1.5 or 1.8 stable.

    But yeah, that's entirely possible too.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    So basically overclocking is worthless? The guy in the video is saying the overclocked one "wins" when it accomplishes whatever task less than 100ms faster than the stock clocked one. LOL. I don't think a 25% overclock making an app load 50ms faster is "winning".
    You're not into horse racing, are you?

    100ms is an eternity!!! (especially when the horse I'm betting is
    the one that's 100ms slower )
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Just because the chip was designed to run that fast doesn't mean that the TouchPad's case and cooling system is designed for it to run that fast/hot. There is a reason it is underclocked.
    You really shouldn't have to worry about the heat generated unless you keep this thing running inside a pillow. .3 is a pretty negligible amount.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Just because the chip was designed to run that fast doesn't mean that the TouchPad's case and cooling system is designed for it to run that fast/hot. There is a reason it is underclocked.
    Considering the 64GB TouchPad is clocked at 1.5GHz your point is moot.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpadder View Post
    Considering the 64GB TouchPad is clocked at 1.5GHz your point is moot.
    I can't wait to see a YouTube video of someone
    comparing a 16/32GB Touchpad overclocked to
    1.5GHz and a 64GB Touchpad that's 1.5GHz
    out of the factory!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpadder View Post
    Considering the 64GB TouchPad is clocked at 1.5GHz your point is moot.
    So you have seen a teardown of the 64gb TouchPad that there are no other differences? Please share...

    I'm OC mine as I do feel the risk is minimum. But again there is a reason it is clocked at 1.2 and to say there is "no risk" of over-clocking is being naive.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    So you have seen a teardown of the 64gb TouchPad that there are no other differences? Please share...

    I'm OC mine as I do feel the risk is minimum. But again there is a reason it is clocked at 1.2 and to say there is "no risk" of over-clocking is being naive.
    There is relatively no risk running at 1.5, maybe even 1.7. I don't know the exact details of the cpu so take that into consideration also...
    In general, the clock rate that the manufacturer says the cpu runs at is usually at or below the clock rate that the cpu passes in functionality tests in the worst conditions.
    It's very unlikely that a company will ship out a cpu that is already pushing it's limits of being stable, unless you get the ones that are already overclocked... and even then you still have some room.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions