Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    A USA Today article by Jon Swartz entitled "Moves by HP, Google further marginalize the PC" has an interesting line about Oracle "sniffing at HP's PC division". I don't really think this would be a good thing for WebOS and don't put much credibility in anything I read in USA Today. But, oh, the pure irony if Mark Hurd were to actually get control of PSG after all he went through with HP and after his replacement's screw-ups. What would the TouchPad have been if Hurd had been left at HP's helm? I know he's the one who said they didn't buy WebOS for phones, but he is the one who lead them to buy WebOS.....
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Only company worse than HP at handling webOS would be Oracle....just look at how they have screwed up most of the projects acquired when they bought Sun.
    corporate culture of growth through acquisitions... that's the age we're in. it's stupid. it's short-sighted. it's what clue-less corporations and the "brilliant" executives do. they are usually the most out-of-touch-with-reality-people out there. i always feel sorry for the people underneath who have to carry out these ridiculous ideas and plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmlongo View Post
    Only company worse than HP at handling webOS would be Oracle....just look at how they have screwed up most of the projects acquired when they bought Sun.
    Given webOS's luck, Oracle is a shoe-in.
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    webOS is no longer part of the PC business...
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    webOS is no longer part of the PC business...
    This is what I was thinking. Oracle is after HP's PC division which just happened to be announced as being spun off the same time they "killed" webOS.
    HP Touchpad 16GB - webOS 3.0.4 - UberKernel
    Palm Pre (Sprint) - webOS 1.4.5 - UberKernel retired
  7. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detection View Post
    Oracle is after HP's PC division .
    I just can't figure out why Oracle would want the PC division unless Hurd is pushing it. I doubt seriously that Oracle would push into hardware, but I would have doubted HP getting out of hardware.....

Mark Hurd appeared to be doing good things for HP overall. The company was heading in an upward trend until the scandle pushed him out (a scandle that WSJ indicated last week had no substance to it). I have to wonder what things would look like today for the TouchPad and WebOS had he remained in control. I don't believe he was a great friend of WebOS, but could he have possibly done the damage that currently has been done?
    I think the stock market at large would just stand motionlessly and marvel if HP, one of the world's most renowned computer hardware manufacturers, ended up becoming a pure software company by selling their computer hardware division to Oracle, one of the world's most renowned software companies.

What I want to know more than what will become of the PSG is what "option" HP will decide on for webOS... although the two issues could well turn out to be related.

At this point, with no OEM announcements about webOS licensing and in light of statements that would seem to indicate disinterest from some of the previously rumored potential licensees (although HTC has only responded with a standard company boilerplate and Samsung has only said they wouldn't purchase webOS) it seems to me like open-sourcing webOS after the image of Android would be the top option if HP actually does intend on growing the platform - although an eventual press release concerning the total cessation of webOS operations also seems possible.
    cobrakon likes this.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I think the stock market at large would just stand motionlessly and marvel if HP, one of the world's most renowned computer hardware manufacturers, ended up becoming a pure software company by selling their computer hardware division to Oracle, one of the world's most renowned software companies.

What I want to know more than what will become of the PSG is what "option" HP will decide on for webOS... although the two issues could well turn out to be related.

At this point, with no OEM announcements about webOS licensing and in light of statements that would seem to indicate disinterest from some of the previously rumored potential licensees (although HTC has only responded with a standard company boilerplate and Samsung has only said they wouldn't purchase webOS) it seems to me like open-sourcing webOS after the image of Android would be the top option if HP actually does intend on growing the platform - although an eventual press release concerning the total cessation of webOS operations also seems possible.
    It really seems most likely. webOS as a VBox guest is pointless. And software without hardware to run it is pretty useless. HP already has a touchscreen interface to their printers, and they have apps.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    With all the bad blood between HP and Oracle, I would be shocked if they actually dealt with each other, unless absolutely necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
    With all the bad blood between HP and Oracle, I would be shocked if they actually dealt with each other, unless absolutely necessary.
    Money is money when all is said and done. Tbh, I can see HP PCs being floated on their own in an assisted management takeover type deal.

webOS will continue to survive as HP has (possibly) unwittingly created quite a large market for it, so with the usual deals like Microsoft did with the naff windows mobile back in the day (it was bad a few years ago) it's probable there will be more devices at some point
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
    Money is money when all is said and done. Tbh, I can see HP PCs being floated on their own in an assisted management takeover type deal.

webOS will continue to survive as HP has (possibly) unwittingly created quite a large market for it, so with the usual deals like Microsoft did with the naff windows mobile back in the day (it was bad a few years ago) it's probable there will be more devices at some point
    I think you are being too optimistic. Why would anyone build webOS hardware when they can use Android with tons of new users being added every day?
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    I think you are being too optimistic. Why would anyone build webOS hardware when they can use Android with tons of new users being added every day?
    And Android is Free, and webOS is not.
    Android is supported by none other than Google. webOS is supported by HP.
    Android already got the whole ecosystem. webOS got none.
    Android got tons of apps and developers, webOS got very little.

Im sure there's tons of more reason why other company won't license webOS from HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post

Im sure there's tons of more reason why other company won't license webOS from HP.
    So, as a question, how come there are new Windows Mobile phones coming out? The comparison to webOS is valid, and I know people who are going from Android to WM as they don't like it (yes these are tech people). HP can do the same as Microsoft and do deals with the likes of HTC etc
  15. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

If the business world followed this logic, Apple would have closed by mid-1990, we would all drive Fords and maybe a Chevy, and phones would all belong to the original AT&T. The fact is that markets are NEVER completely locked up, no matter how dominant one player looks at a given moment. Things change--and the companies that don't believe that are the ones who fall by the wayside.

Mark Hurd saw something in WebOS and Palm that intrigued him enough to pursue merging Palm into HP. We will never know exactly what his vision was or how it would have played out with him. However, IF Oracle is actually looking at PSG, you have to think Hurd has an unfinished vision that he is still wondering about.
    Because Google bought Motorola, and other hardware makers might be leery of getting Android leftovers despite whatever promises Google might make.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Don't think they'll get it, if they do might be bad for webOS
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    So, as a question, how come there are new Windows Mobile phones coming out? The comparison to webOS is valid, and I know people who are going from Android to WM as they don't like it (yes these are tech people).
    WP7 is manufactured by serious company, and serious people love to do business with other serious people. That is why phone manufacturers do business with MS. They believe MS is serious about WP7. HP denied possibility of licensing till they made webOS complete failure.

HP can do the same as Microsoft and do deals with the likes of HTC etc
    No, they can't, not only because recent events, but because whole year they spent not improving webOS. And this is why manufacturers love Android. Android was almost unusable pile of mess, when webOS was released, and look state of Android now and compare it with webOS.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

I just want to address a constant theme.
    "Android is free" but the services that make Android worth using NOT FREE. I know it's a small distinction with everything else you've provided, but the fact is that people keep touting Android as free as if these companies aren't paying anything for it, which is far from the truth. In fact HTC is paying Microsoft in order to use Android on top of paying Google to use services via Android. Therefore NOT FREE.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    HTC is voluntarily paying Microsoft, they don't have too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast