Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    ^^
    You are absolutely right.
    Also, maintaining OS is a hard and expensive business, and that is prime reason why no one is interested in webOS anymore. Those who had interest year and half ago, managed by themselves to improve their OS's. Now is far better investment to recruit webOS programmers than to waste money on platform. After recent decisions made by HP I can bet all of original webOS team got calls from other companies.
    Last edited by chalx; 09/07/2011 at 02:21 AM.
    Like Microsoft said, "It's a marathon not a sprint".... Wait..?
    chalx likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    HTC is voluntarily paying Microsoft, they don't have too.
    Funny. So do you think it's pure charity on the part of HTC that lets them pay Microsoft a whole lot of money "they don't have to" pay? Maybe they're just paying into the Bill Gates Healthcare Fund or something?

HTC is led by businesspeople. Here's how businesspeople think:
    Is there a legal obligation for me to pay this starving man one cent? Is there a contractual obligation for me to pay this very starving man one cent? Do I stand to profit in the short or middle term if I pay this acutely starving man one cent?
    No?
    Then this cent is mine and he can't have it. He's pretty much dead anyway.

Businessmen will not pay ANYTHING if they don't have to and/or if they don't think the payment (investment) is going to yield a profit. They may pay something without first being forced to pay by a court of law if they know full well that they will end up having to pay no matter what, so they may just go ahead and pay quietly without causing a big fuss.
    But they will NOT pay for anything "voluntarily" if they could also have it for free.
    HTC is a business, not a charity. HTC execs know this, even if you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

Businessmen will not pay ANYTHING if they don't have to and/or if they don't think the payment (investment) is going to yield a profit. They may pay something without first being forced to pay by a court of law if they know full well that they will end up having to pay no matter what, so they may just go ahead and pay quietly without causing a big fuss.
    But they will NOT pay for anything "voluntarily" if they could also have it for free.
    HTC is a business, not a charity. HTC execs know this, even if you don't.
    I don't think that HTC thinks that paying Microsoft off will yield a profit. By avoiding a legal entanglement, despite HTC likely being non-infringing, HTC is hedging against risk. The cost of a trial, and the subsequent appeals, and, possibly, the final judgment are worrisome. But just as worrisome is the cloud of uncertainty that HTC wishes to avoid, the increased cost of raising capital and the possible information leaks during discovery, as well as possible bad blood with Microsoft also weigh heavily. These things are hard to include in a cost/benefit analysis but factor heavily into this decision.

On the topic at hand, a sale is unlikely with so much bad blood between the two parties. Stranger things have happened, but few know the worth(lessness) of webOS better than Mark Hurd and the valuation by an informed party, in my opinion, will be much less than HP desires.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12