Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    hello,

im new to precentral and was lucky enough to get hold of a touchpad in the sale.

over the last week i have been keeping an eye on touchpad / HP related news and have become bothered by some articles written by Bill Palmer at beatweek magazine. it just seems wrong that people searching for information on touchpads are lickly to read his biased dribble.

Worthless HP TouchPad tablet assumes role as 21st century Dutch tulip

Whatever value the HP TouchPad did or didnít have prior to its discontinuation, it has essentially none now. Running an operating system which is officially out of development, with no feature, future compatibility, or security updates forthcoming, the TouchPad faces a future in which zero third party apps are released, accessories canít be found, and technical support will be difficult to find. Yet the surreal retail run on the dead tablet after its $499 price was slashed to $99 has positioned the TouchPad, for a few minutes at least, as the Dutch tulip of the twenty-first century.

Centuries ago, tulip bulbs were being purchased and then flipped at progressively higher values which had no correlation to their value as a craze sent buyers and sellers into hysteria. Eventually it was realized that the tulips had little real value in comparison to the prices, and the bottom fell out of the market. The HP TouchPad isnít quite in the same boat, as it was only a severe price discount which set off the buying craze, and even with that itís been a comparatively small one. Still, some folks are buying up TouchPads at $99 so they can sell them to auction buyers who will pay three times that. The buyers, of course, donít really want the TouchPad for their own use. Rather theyíve convinced themselves that theyíll somehow manage to flip it for even more than what they paidÖ

The bottom will fall out of the TouchPad reselling craze very, very quickly (give it another two weeks at most). The advent of internet commerce, combined with the fact that the TouchPad is part of a market in which things play out quickly one way or the other, means that the dead tabletís surreal afterlife wonít last long one way or the other. But in the mean time itís created an interesting craze, a foible of human nature worth studying, and which may still be studied in the next century: just how did the worldís least popular tablet computer manage to become the center of a flip craze after it had been discontinued? Itís sheer lunacy to try to rely on a computing device which whose hardware, operating system, and entire corporate division have been put out to pasture. But that doesnít mean some crazed geeks canít have some fun making hedge-fund style bets on just how high the value of the worthless TouchPad wil go before it crashes back down to earth.

Comments? he has locked the comments section on his website whenever he mentions touchpads, so we cant even put him right!.

ideas for how we can .....do something about this rubbish.

by the way i own an iphone 4 and am enjoying my touchpad webos browser with FLASH

thinking of selling my iphone
    True so true and the TouchPad is cranking in and out of stores so quickly that Beatweek can say whatever they like and it won't stop the influx of new webOS users. To be honest, I would waste my time with the Mag and yes their dribble. Groups like CNet used to get under my nerves and now I hardly ever look at them and read their crap commentary. There are other outlets for information and content that is a little less shadowed by people who drink the Apple and Google Kool-aid.

Yes and speaking about the iPHone 4...wife and I were hoping for a long time to have a new Sprint webOS device after June - 2nd anniversary, but Sprint was a no go and we're now hoping and praying the iPhone 5 finally arrives and is a worthy replacement for our Pre-. Actually, it wouldn't take much to be better then our 2-year old Pre-, but webOS has become so common for us that anything that doesn't do Multitasking and yes even flash will be a huge let down. At least we have our TouchPads!!!

Hopefully with Steve Jobs stepping down...maybe Apple will get IOS 5 and the iPhone 5 right this time (at least with useful multitasking...PLEASE). Sorli...
    don't need to do anything as touchpad still! Selling like hotcakes on amazon so all his ink is for nothing, he is probably gnashing his teeth.
    enjoy your touchpad like the other thousands of new owners!
    sorli likes this.
    I run into misinformed people all the time and all you can do is just try to educate them. Try to mention webOS as much as possible and add in a feature that it has that is different like synergy or the touchstone! The touchpad may be dying but webOS will live on!
    sorli likes this.
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the replies,

I know his pathetic magazine won’t put many people off, to be honest I just wanted to share my annoyance

By the way Loving the preware store and homebrew packages which are making my touchpad even better!
    He just left out a bit about the intrinsic usefulness of the TouchPad regardless of the status of continued development.

It's hard to argue against the idea that some of those sales were made with the hopes of being able to upsell it later on. The bottom will fall out, guaranteed.
    I have yet to read an article by Timmy Falcon (Beatweek) that was worth the time it took to read.
    Beatsweek is full of Apple *******... Why else would they put out an iPhone 5 rumors article every 12 hours?
    Aside from the webOS development bit, and who knows how long HP will feel obligated to continue pouring money into an investment with no returns, what did he say that was inaccurate?

People are still going to buy it at $99, HP is still discontinuing the product line, and you are still enjoying yours. All is good.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Beatweek has been mentioned on this forum many times. On each occasion they have posted an unnecessarily critical and factually incorrect view of the Touchpad.

They are nothing more than link baiting. Don't fall for it.
    Last edited by RedMist; 09/06/2011 at 10:34 AM.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Their about page says:
    Beatweek is the publication for music, podcasting, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and social media lovers.
    I don't know why anyone would expect anything other than Apple devotee articles; it's one half of their supposed focus (iPhone, iPad, iPod). Is this joker really going to write "Wow, this is (better than/equal to/nearly as good as/a contender to) my iPad"? Of course not.

Now that Touchpad mania had left the news, he's taken to saying how the Amazon tablet will be junk and never worthy to stand in the iPad's shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksyphon View Post
    I know his pathetic magazine won’t put many people off
    I doubt most people are aware it exists. I certainly didn't until seeing linked Touchpad articles from here.
    As one of the new Touchpad owners, I can only say that he Touchpad itself does an excellent job at turning people away.

Sure, I'm sure some of the new owners will put up with the infrequent slowdowns, and keep it as a device for browsing only. But I think that most of them will move on fairly quickly, put their Touchpad on ebay (again) and either get another tablet, or go back tot their laptops.

Is a touchpad worth 100$? Sure...

Is it worth 200? For most people no. Just like I'm sure that most people would have more benefit of one iPad, rather than 5 TouchPad for the same amount of money spent...
    I've read some stuff there about the TP, you can be critical but this guy goes overboard. I'd ignore it and enjoy your TP.
    A ridiculous article, by a ridiculous writer, in a ridiculous e-magazine. I didn't know about the site prior to seeing that article, and after reading it, I still don't know anything about it, as the chances of me ever going back there are slim to none.
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one bothered by this site. I hate myself every time I inadvertently click on their page
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    As one of the new Touchpad owners, I can only say that he Touchpad itself does an excellent job at turning people away.

Sure, I'm sure some of the new owners will put up with the infrequent slowdowns, and keep it as a device for browsing only. But I think that most of them will move on fairly quickly, put their Touchpad on ebay (again) and either get another tablet, or go back tot their laptops.

Is it worth 200? For most people no. Just like I'm sure that most people would have more benefit of one iPad, rather than 5 TouchPad for the same amount of money spent...
    You just joined precentral and started by doing exactly what BeatWeek does? With the help of the homebrew community, my TouchPad flies. On the SMB list to buy a couple more for my wife and daughter. My son has an iPad so he's already set for a personal device. I would have done the same if they were $200 instead of $100 each.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one bothered by this site. I hate myself every time I inadvertently click on their page
    They once had comments opened on an Android article. Within an hour there were 100 pages of comments without a single one that agreed with the article. Several iFans decided to end their subscriptions in the comments and the author responded by calling them names.

I wish I had captured it to show how bad the idiots are that run and write for Beatweek.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post

I'm just curious, but when you purchased your Touchpad, what did you envision yourself doing with it, aside from browsing?
    Unless WebOS starts giving out money and BJs, not a lot of people will admit how good it is or how much potential it has simply because it doesn't have a 'i' infront of it's name. Here is a fine example of it.

I love my TouchPad. There are improvements that can be made, but it does not deserve the large a mount of ignorant ranting and misinformation being spewed out by salesstaff and biased media.

At this point, as much as I hate saying it, WebOS is now, more or less, a hobbyist OS.
    This guy is onto the ones that are trying to turn a profit off of the demand. It's too bad ppl do that. I bought mine at full price and then got a rebate of $450. I don't plan on letting go of it any time soon and I really do hope that some form of development continues.

I just hope I'm not holding false hope.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast