Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    UPDATE: n/m I figured out what you meant. basically, press and hold on an email in the left-column and move your finger to the top or to the bottom. when your finger touches the top or bottom of the screen (the blue horizontal bars), hold your finger there and it will start scrolling.
    congrats un_designer, once I twigged what you were saying about the blue bar at the top and bottom was the key, you have to remember that your finger must go into the blue bar area, scrolling works brilliantly and beautifully!
    well done. Scrolling is awkward at first but I am starting to warm to it I like that you can do variable speed scrolling.
    Some more GMail viewing options that you might like

Mobile view
    https://mail.google.com/mail/mu

Tabbed view (this actually does look nice on TP but functionality is a bit muted)
    https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/?mui=ca
    Last edited by amit_on_tp; 09/10/2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is based on the work of two posters Azitek and Cube1701

1) First go to:

https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/131/?mui=ca

2) To scroll - simply hold down somewhere in the email and drag up or down to the blue bar. if you don't take your finger off, you can continue to scroll up and down.

3) To resize the view between you email list and the panel view, hold on the dividing line and drag to the left (this is a bit fiddly but works although I'm still trying to work out where is the best 'grip' - as far as I can tell - if you push down on the boundary parallel to the reply to tab at the bottom it work.).

Currently, there is no way to send from multiple accounts.
    I am using the following URL from ipad2 for gmail view.

https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/836/#tl/Inbox

It gives me a single pane/window view. But i have no issues with scrolling and even the message of an email is fully displayed without any scrolling issues.

Try it folks.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    decalex and cgk like this.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    I am using the following URL from ipad2 for gmail view.

https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/836/#tl/Inbox

It gives me a single pane/window view. But i have no issues with scrolling and even the message of an email is fully displayed without any scrolling issues.

Try it folks.
    You are hero of the day. This works and looks great.
    its the standard iPhone view, but works great! thanks!
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Hm, can someone try pasting some text into the To, subject or message areas? (In that gmail link posted 2 up.

. . NS4G . . CM7 . .
    Anyone else notice that all the methods described in this thread no longer work with the newest 3.0.4 webOS update?
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Anyone else notice that all the methods described in this thread no longer work with the newest 3.0.4 webOS update?
    I noticed. Appears to be Google blocking the browser based on the user-agent string. Really lame and instead of giving a notice like, "browser not supported," one just gets a 404 error.

Testing with wget on my regular system confirms it is a user-agent string thing. Is there a plugin/patch/app that allows one to modify the user agent string, something available via preware?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I can confirm the 404, for both the iphone and the tablet interface.

I can't think why google would be doing this - what do they stand to gain? Are they trying to turn webOS users in to cyanogen mod users?
    I too fail to understand Google's reasoning. It's not like they really provide much direct support for their services, so being concerned about users complaining about something not working in an obscure browser should not be a factor.

I posted a message to the gmail help forum requesting that they modify their agent filtering to allow access by webOS 3.0.4 (or later) browsers, but I have little hope anything will be done about it:

https://www.google.com/support/forum...ea59f4c5&hl=en
    Huh, aside from a browser, the touchpad has a mail app that works quite well with gmail. You need to enter your gmail credentials in the accounts app, then open mail. Hope this helps :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Huh, aside from a browser, the touchpad has a mail app that works quite well with gmail. You need to enter your gmail credentials in the accounts app, then open mail. Hope this helps :-)
    It's an IMAP implementation so fairly primitive compared to what can be done with a proper gmail client - for example, I have multiple email addresses within my gmail account and can either let it answer for me with the account that the email was received to or switch to a different email address. Plus there are no labels (yes there are folders but that's clunky) and you can't set up filters.
    Quote Originally Posted by earlhood View Post
    I noticed. Appears to be Google blocking the browser based on the user-agent string. Really lame and instead of giving a notice like, "browser not supported," one just gets a 404 error.

Testing with wget on my regular system confirms it is a user-agent string thing. Is there a plugin/patch/app that allows one to modify the user agent string, something available via preware?
    it must be a bug because I use these alternate views in OSX on my macbook.
    The only thing is that at the top there is a bar one can click on saying I'm using an unsupported view and would I prefer to use standard gmail view. maybe the bar isn't displaying on the TP so it defaults to not allowing it. I haven't tried on my TP but I will later.
    Interestingly, it's giving the Google 404 not the GMail 404. weird. Perhaps with the dumping of labs, they've dumped these?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I'm not sure what the format is that you each have been using (because I get the 404 message, too) but you have a couple of options if you are using gmail with just the browser.

You can just go to mail.gmail.com as you normally would and login. As the window loads, look in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and tap on the HTML option. You will have gmail without some of the bells and whistles but you will be able to scroll and all that other good stuff.

Another option is to go to m.gmail.com and login. That takes you to the mobile website for gmail. If you don't like that view, you can go to the bottom of the page and select basic HTML view.

Both of those options work with the TouchPad.
    Last edited by elsie2; 10/20/2011 at 05:31 AM.
    I did notice today that the 3.0.4 browser can now scroll mostly properly in google reader . . Haven't checked any of the other google sites to seeif that's fixed.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's an IMAP implementation so fairly primitive compared to what can be done with a proper gmail client - for example, I have multiple email addresses within my gmail account and can either let it answer for me with the account that the email was received to or switch to a different email address. Plus there are no labels (yes there are folders but that's clunky) and you can't set up filters.
    I switch to different addresses on the TouchPad all the time. Some of my accounts are IMAP and some POP.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    It is buggy and it does not handle threading. For example, the native client messes up gmail labels. When a message is deleted, the Inbox label is still on the message when it is in the trash. I've noticed that some of my messages I move to another folder (label from gmail perspective) ended up in the trash. Basically, label handling is a problem, while clients like Thunderbird do not have these problems.

Other limitations with the native client have been noted by others. All these limitations and bugs makes the native client unuasble for my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by elsie2 View Post
    Another option is to go to m.gmail.com and login. That takes you to the mobile website for gmail. If you don't like that view, you can go to the bottom of the page and select basic HTML view.
    The mobile interface is too basic and less useful than the basic html interface.

i found the tablet interface nicer to use than the basic html interface. Due to the 404 now, that is what I use, and I've bookmarked it so I can go to it directly.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast