Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By R_E
  1. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    This involves several steps so hopefully i will remember them correctly. You will need to download a jvm applet environment adapted for webos by a coder on a chinese webos forum and then download the file in opera mini. here are the steps:

1) Go to this site prejvm 0.6 scroll down and download the file named "chomper.app.prejvm_0.5.0_pre_armv7.ipk" (there is a .6 version, but don't download that as it is only an update for chinese support and requires installion of another ipk.)

2) Install chomper.app.prejvm_0.5.0_pre_armv7.ipk via whatever means you want (preware, WOSQI, etc)

3) Go to Opera Mini & Opera Mobile and download "Opera Mini 4.3" jar file.

4) Open jvm app and double click on install application. (you can also single click and click on launch at the bottom.)

5) this part is a little tricky. you must know the exact location of the file on your touchpad. I recommend finding the file in Internalz and writing the path down on a piece of paper .

Click memu on the bottom right and select "3 Storage".
    As the virtual keyboard will not pop up this application, we will use the program's built in virtual keyboard.

Click menu again and click on "1 qwerty" and select "6 virtual"

type
    Code:
    file:////
    (thats 4 slashes) followed by the path. mine looked like:

Code:
    file:////media/internal/downloads/opera-mini-4.3.25172-advanced-en-us.jar
    double check the path

then click on menu->install.

Select phone memory

If there are any errors you didn't type the path right. make sure to put 4 slashes after file:

6) Second tricky part

Launch Opera Mini
    allow data usage
    because of a glitch, the text will not render. to fix this we must set the size to small.

Click menu -> tools -> settings

click the second drop down box and select small and then save.

Next, to prevent crashes, go back into the settings menu and deselect visual effects, landscape mode and show overview. save

7) just about done. browse to the site you want to go to, log in and select you download. it is pretty self explanatory from here.

If you select "Storage" when you download, files will be located in

Code:
    media/internal/jvm/appdb/storage

I can seem to get opera 6.1 to work but you are welcome to try. I believe this application should run most phone java applets so if there are other browsers out there you could try those too. The app is pretty buggy though. Just because a site crashes a site once doesn;t mean it will always happen. you should try the site just in case .

Hope this helps.
    artemonster likes this.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    What.
    Well done figuring that out! Looks like it has potential.
    Seems to crash most of the time for me.

Tried uc web browser won't install, looking for a jar for bolt now, let me know if you have any progress with other browsers.
    Last edited by paddyponchero; 09/06/2011 at 08:21 AM.
  4. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    sorry if my instructions are confusing, I made them in the middle of the night. I tried bolt and UC browser. Bolt installs but Jvm says its a background application. Bolt lite seems to work but its a little glitchy. I'm also not sure it can download, didn't get a chance to tr. UC browser looks cool, but it won't render text which makes it kinda useless.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Wow...so a crippled, partially-installed Opera Mini can DL but not the built-in. Ugh.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Managed to get through the entire process without a hitch and immediately went to try this out on Blackboard. Unfortunately, after I enter the URL for the website where I need to login, the webpage is unresponsive (that's on top of being blurry and impossible to read). Clicking links on the pages does nothing, and Opera Mini seems to freeze up as well (Menu, Zoom, Back, etc.) don't work.

Any help on this, R_E? This entire rigmarole would be worth it if I could actually get on to the Blackboard site and download some PDF's and Powerpoint files.
    this seems a bit tougher than just installing ubuntu IMG
  8. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboyo View Post
    this seems a bit tougher than just installing ubuntu IMG
    correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ubuntu require you to doctor your touchpad and make a metadoctor doctor file?
    thanks for the solution man. definitely try that out
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ubuntu require you to doctor your touchpad and make a metadoctor doctor file?

Not if you use an .img file for the ubuntu and boot it from there. Not reccomended for "heavy linux users" if you want it for things like this it should work fine tho...
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

opera keeps crashing. damn.
    we really all should petition Opera to make a browser.