1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

take care,

Jay

HP TouchPad: The calm before… a really long calm
    By James Kendrick | September 5, 2011, 10:13am PDT

HP TouchPad: The calm before… a really long calm | ZDNet

Summary: We are fond of referring to the calm before the storm, but as activity winds down in the webOS world given the final run of TouchPads currently being created, we may only see a lot more calm.

There are few (if any) tales in the tech world as convoluted and bizarre as the HP TouchPad story. Not that long ago HP purchased webOS and creator Palm for $1.2 billion, leading to the launch of the conpany’s first (and now only) webOS tablet, the TouchPad.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing. I think it really is more about a 'consumer mob madness" thing than an actual desire for webos itself. If say the Tab 10.1 went on sale for $99, and there weren't any other Android tablets, we'd probably see the same kind of insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

take care,

Jay

HP TouchPad: The calm before… a really long calm
    By James Kendrick | September 5, 2011, 10:13am PDT

HP TouchPad: The calm before… a really long calm | ZDNet

Summary: We are fond of referring to the calm before the storm, but as activity winds down in the webOS world given the final run of TouchPads currently being created, we may only see a lot more calm.

There are few (if any) tales in the tech world as convoluted and bizarre as the HP TouchPad story. Not that long ago HP purchased webOS and creator Palm for $1.2 billion, leading to the launch of the conpany’s first (and now only) webOS tablet, the TouchPad.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I think it really is more about a 'consumer mob madness" thing than an actual desire for webos itself. If say the Tab 10.1 went on sale for $99, and there weren't any other Android tablets, we'd probably see the same kind of insanity.
    No doubt, but I bet if Samsung stumbled into this type of situation, they would capitalize on it. (Are you listening HP?) No matter what people claim, for MOST users, a tablet is a non-essential purchase. Great for portable entertainment, with lesser effectiveness for other functions.

Perhaps, Apple lovers are more inclined to buy the iPad because it's a better value than the typical Mac laptop. But the iPad is about the price of a more functional Wintel based laptop.

Drop a tablet to a price point where it is cheaper than a typical Windows laptop and suddenly everyone wants one and will suffer through a tablet's shortcomings. For all of the chatter about the Galaxy Tab, they haven't sold many units when compared to Apple either.

See what happens when HP, or Amazon or some Android maker hits the magic price point. Consumer electronics consumers aren't as concerned about a particular OS as they are about 'what can I do for the money I spent on this device'.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    No matter what people claim, for MOST users, a tablet is a non-essential purchase
    so is an ipod, so is a 360, so is a air conditioner, so is brand name clothing etc..
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    so is an ipod, so is a 360, so is a air conditioner, so is brand name clothing etc..
    And that is neither here nor there.