Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm curious: If you're a firesale TouchPad buyer, did you buy one only because of the firesale and being able to get a tablet cheap, or did you already know about the TouchPad and planned to get one someday already? It has seemed to me that the mad dash to buy one may have been partly or even mostly due to pent-up demand by those who wanted one before the firesale but who were waiting for these reasons: 1. To see if the price would drop due to competition among retailers, 2. to see if enough good reviews by both tech people and users would reassure them enough to jump in, or 3. to save up the money for it. I planned to get one for my birthday (Oct.) or for Christmas but went ahead when I heard about the QVC deal with no-interest installments, so I was thrilled to be able to get it sooner than planned (even though I'm not thrilled that QVC hasn't yet firmed up the 2nd price matching and my next installment is next week).

It seems to me that HP jumped to the conclusion that they wouldn't sell only based on how many people were willing to jump in during the first month to six weeks. Their advertising was so limited with only the Glee girl and the boxer ads being shown a lot but not enough clear explanation of the beauty of webOS - especially the full web which makes having a lot of apps that iPhone needs unnecessary. Bottom line, they just didn't work hard or smart or patiently to get a decent toe-hold in the tablet market that could build steadily. They (meaning the CEO and his cronies on the BoD) didn't believe it could happen and therefore shot HP in the foot in this whole venture. I'm so sad that this great OS will likely fizzle due to the ineptitude and wasted opportunities of so many involved in the webOS creation/development/marketing processes.
    I was definitely going to buy a touchpad, but not this one. As soon as they announced the 7" I decided that was the tablet I was going to buy. That + the Veer and they're tethering would be heaven for how I use my mobile devices. I've always found the 7" form factor much more appealing for a tablet.

I heard rumors that the 7" version was done and ready, but it had better hardware and a sleeker look than the 9.7" version. So HP decided to wait to release it because they didn't want to take sales away from the fullsize tab. It's a shame.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I thought it would be interesting to see how the touchpad did considering that aside from Apple, they're the only company making both the hardware and the OS. However, I probably would never have bought one without the firesale.
    I wanted one the day they came out...but was in the process of getting a Pre2 to replace my pre-....worked out good in the end...now I have my TP at a smoking price

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I always wished to get a TouchPad but as a student, couldn't afford it (would have been more than a months income from both of my jobs so...), but with the firesale price, a real webOS fan was able to get one =D

I was a webOS user from the beginning, with a Pre, Pixi Plus, Pre 2, now a Pre 3 and a TouchPad =D I'm happy now
    I had never heard of the TouchPad's prior to the fire sale. Now I have a 32GB version Had to get mine for approximately $370 USD off an auction site.
    Last edited by Time; 09/06/2011 at 02:31 AM.
    huevohead likes this.
    I had absolutely zero intention of buying a touchpad. I wanted a tablet, but was going to get either an iPad or a transformer. It was the price that got me, and I'd say that there is pent up demand for tablets at a low price, not specifically for the touchpad.
    I'd always kinda wanted a tablet, but could never justify spending $400-500 on one when I already have a desktop, ultraportable, and a smartphone.
    I really wanted a TouchPad. I thought the device looked amazing at the Think Beyond event but was incredibly disheartened when I heard the original pricing. One fire sale later, I got one!
    Never consider the touchpad. I bought it due to the firesale, and talk of able to port it to Android in the future.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I always wanted a tablet, but the price point was and still is too high. For $300 - $400 you can get a decent laptop with more functionality. So when I heard about the firesale I jumped on it. I was unable to get one from the store, but I found one on Craigslist. I paid $150 plus 4 PS3 games for a 16GB touchpad. Good deal for me since those games were just collecting dust.
    Yes, when the price dropped to $250 or less. TouchPad has always been my tablet of choice (although I was tempted briefly by the Lenovo tablet). When HP announced they were getting out of the hardware game I started watching for deals, as I could sense that they were coming -- little did I know I would get so lucky.
    At the ridiculously high price they came out at, no. I actually had no interest in the touchpad due to the complete lack of USB. However, when the price came down to ridiculously low price, I thought it would be a great gift for my mother.

If they can get Netflix on it then I'll probably give it to her. That's something she wants a laptop for though the touchpad would probably have better battery life.
    I was planning to get one, the main excuse being to watch films on during a 9 hour flight to Canada (and the return) as it's been reported they've lasted in testing just over 7 hours playing video. I'm a WebOS fan and was happy with my Pre Plus so it was always going to be a Touchpad, I was only holding off to see what the best sort of discount I could find was as I didn't really want to pay 300 sterlings. I was almost resigned to having to go with 10% staff discount through a friend when the big news broke and I spent several days F5ing.
    I had absolutely no intention of buying a TouchPad, or any other tablet for that matter, until the news of the firesale came out. I was a little late to the party and wasn't able to snag one until last week using the Staples Kiosk trick. It'll be arriving on Thursday and I already have 2 cases, a full body skin and picked up a Touchstone at Staples today. I don't really have a need for a tablet anymore since I just graduated from college but at the price I was able to get one, I figured why not? I went to Best Buy a month or so ago and played around with the tablets they had on display, the TouchPad being one of them, and wasn't really impressed since I could pretty much already do most of the stuff that they do on my phone. I'd say the thrill of the chase was probably the main reason why I was so intent on trying to purchase one.
    Last edited by CaCHooKa Man; 09/06/2011 at 04:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I had no intention of buying any tablet for more than $300. At that price point I'd rather have a netbook because those can do so much more for the same money. At $99/$149 for a good tablet? Yeah, then I'll take a tablet.
    No intention of buying a TouchPad. The only tablet I was interested in paying full price for was the Asus Transformer. Fortunately, the $99 TouchPad is enough to tide me over gadgetwise until the next iteration of Asus Transformer.
    I had no intention of buying one until I used a week before the fire sale. We have iPods at home and I normally used an Android phone. I used it and was hooked. When the firewall came out it made it just sweeter. I now have a Touchpad and dumped my huge Android phone for a Pre 2. The only thing I miss is navigation on the phone. Android is the best at that hands down.

But the Touchpad. Mine is OC'd and patched. Love the speed of it now. I would have to say just as quick, if not quicker, than the iPad 2 sitting on nitestand that I haven't used in a couple weeks now lol.
    I had no intention of buying one until I used a week before the fire sale. We have iPads at home and I normally used an Android phone. I used it and was hooked. When the firewall came out it made it just sweeter. I now have a Touchpad and dumped my huge Android phone for a Pre 2. The only thing I miss is navigation on the phone. Android is the best at that hands down.

But the Touchpad. Mine is OC'd and patched. Love the speed of it now. I would have to say just as quick, if not quicker, than the iPad 2 sitting on nitestand that I haven't used in a couple weeks now lol.
    yes, i am a long-time palm user/dev, btw i love it, the best tablet out there for me. period.
    sorli likes this.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast