Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I am actually putting the TP on eBay. I find it to be useless and much prefer using my netbook.
  2.    #122  
    I thought about doing a poll but didn't want to limit response possibilities - I didn't know what options to put and mostly was curious about what the different motivations were. It's been fascinating to read through the comments! Anyone out there, feel free to start a poll. I do think there's lots of feedback for HP to consider in this thread...hope they follow the forums!
  3. chi
    For the pre-firesale prices no way, prices were just too high. Never even considered it tablets. Too rich for my blood. Even posted on Facebook something like HaHa the latest iPad killer bites the dust. But when I heard about the Firesale on Aug 19, I immediately headed to best buy to buy at full price and price adjust later. Chickened out buying but got later from HP SMB.

Still lovin' it. Would not buy again at current ebay prices if I lost this one tho.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm a lurker here mostly. I have used a Palm Pre since I could first get my hands on one here in Europe. Took me a month to find out how to get it working in Belgium, but I still love it (and webOS). Hence, when the Touchpad was announced I immediately decided to get one. I was waiting for the 64GB version (for maximum storage) when HP dropped the bomb. First tried to get a TP in Germany, but couldn't get a German address soon enough (required by the German HP web store). Then I stumbled on the sale at Fnac.fr, albeit a bit late, i.e. just minutes after the last TPs in stock sold. Fortunately Fnac managed to secure an extra delivery of 32GB TPs and I was one of the lucky ones to see my backorder honoured.

In the mean time I'm an extremely happy TP 32GB owner, but I must be honest and add that I've come to realise that the current pricing of decent tablets at >500 EUR (the price I *would* have paid) is more than such devices are really worth to me. Good thing mine ended up only costing me 129 EUR plus shipping (and accessories).

Wim
    Touchpad 32GB and German O2 unlocked Palm Pre sharing the same profile
    Around April, I bought an iPad 1 32GB for $300 for my wife (yeah right). Well between my 7 year old daughter and I, my wife never got any time with it. Out of guilt, I bought her one from Verizon, 32GB WiFi for $399. They both were fine just never used heavily except for gaming.

I always planned on buying a 32GB Touchpad, just wasn't willing to pay $599. I waited and when Costco sold it for $479, I bought one knowing I had 90 days to return it. Then came the fire sale.

I ordered one 32 and two 16's but by the time I placed the order, they ran out of the the 16GB model. I ordered one 32Gb model. I then realized I put my nickname in for the credit card info. HP said I would have to wait for the confirmation email to do anything so I ended up placing another 32GB order just in case.

on Saturday, I thought what a good present the 16Gb model would make so I ordered two (one for my brother and one for my daughter) through the SMB site. This made a total of 5 TouchPads that I would eventually own.

I received both 32GB models from HP and set up my replacement and doctored the Costco one to return. My new one had a cooler temperature screen so I wanted to keep that one. Costco then offered to refund $350 plus tax on TP orders. I sold my Costco one to my employee for $129 (what it ended up costing me). My first order that I put my nickname in the billing info went through, so I sold that order to a relative at cost.

I'm still waiting for my two 16Gb TP's to arrive in 6 to 8 weeks. I could have played it greedy and sold the extras on ebay for a profit, but I'm not that kind of person. I use my TP so much that my skin on my fingertips is stripping away. I'm constantly on email and reading various forums every night. Its so cool how exhibition mode works with the Touchstone chargers. I would never go back to the iPad.
    I was looking at kindle 3g before the TP price correction. The reason why I wanted the 3g was because I don't have a smartphone because I don't want to pay another 30 a month, especially now that verizon has reduced the amount of data you get for that money. anyway, so I don't have internet in most places (which is probably a good thing cause I'm kinda addicted to it...but that's another thread haha). also the kindle has a waterproof case that I could go sit in my jacuzzi and surf the web over 3g.

but I was also looking at other cheap tablet options without 3g, like the nook color that can run android or whatever. I was kind of hesitent to jump on the kindle because people kep saying "if you want a tablet, buy a tablet"....but I really wanted a tablet with free 3g, so I didn't exactly know what to buy.

Then I hear $400 off. So I picked up the 32gb TP for 150 instead of 550 they were scalping for it the week before. It's nice and all, I've got all the patches and tweaks and 1.8ghz dual core, but it still has glitches, that annoy me and I hate that I still have to be around wifi to get internet - doesn't feel like much of an upgrade from my laptop. I do like the games on it though....but I still think I should have gotten the 3g kindle and i could be surfin the internet from my jacuzzi!

tl;dr: no, i wasn't gonna get a TP b/c it doesn't get internet everywhere and it doesn't have a waterproof case
    Nope, wasn't planning on getting one. The only reason I got a TouchPad was because it was $99/149. I figured even if I hated webOS, with the firesale, Android will be ported to it soon enough and the hardware on the TouchPad beats any Android tablet for under $200.

Now that I've had more time with it, I'm really liking webOS but the lack of apps and buggy web browser is frustrating me. Gingerbread is definitely a downgrade from webOS but if I can't get the apps I need (e.g. Netflix) I'd probably dual-boot.
    Global Posts
    433 Global Posts
    Nope had no intentions on ever owning one till the firesale, I'm pretty satisfied with my Playbook. However, when the sale went off, I thought that it would make a great couch surfing tablet and my wife's been hounding me about getting a tablet, so I bought 2. And if I can throw Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich on this someday, even better!
    I would say that it was the price more than anything. My fiance had been seriously looking at tablets, and I would check them out and was intrigued by the TP, but we weren't willing to make such an investment on any tablet. I've been a fan of HP's computers for quite some time (some days it seems like I'm the only one), and decided a cheap HP tablet couldn't be horrible.

I ordered my first one from HP and bought the second as a just-in-case, but after taking an hour to get the jic tablet at the correct price, I decided to keep it and gave the HP one to my fiance.

I'd say we're both pretty pleased with my impulse buy.
    Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    if you come to this site for any reason at all and decided not to keep the firesale TouchPad, at least one, then you are an *****.

i've never been a webOS user, but not a tech noobie, as i've owned PCs, laptops, PDAs, netbook, iPods, cell phones, smartphones and tablets.

i'm not a cutting edge buyer, but do try to follow and research prior to purchase based on worth. as in worth the money and time.

i've always been interested ever since Palm came out with webOS, but unfortunately their hardware never improved enough to warrant their worth. i had hoped that HP would done better so got the TouchPad when it first came out back in July.

WebOS lived up to its name, but the TouchPad itself was not worth the price, so i returned it. i was disappointed because i really wanted to keep it as i knew i was going to want to try the Pre3, also.

Obviously, the firesale price totally makes the TouchPad worth every penny and some. you cannot find a tablet that functions this well for that price, and will not for a while. trust me, i've tried cheap budget and mid-level tablets before and they all fall short of the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemypreplus View Post
    I'm curious: If you're a firesale TouchPad buyer, did you buy one only because of the firesale and being able to get a tablet cheap, or did you already know about the TouchPad and planned to get one someday already? It has seemed to me that the mad dash to buy one may have been partly or even mostly due to pent-up demand by those who wanted one before the firesale but who were waiting for these reasons: 1. To see if the price would drop due to competition among retailers, 2. to see if enough good reviews by both tech people and users would reassure them enough to jump in, or 3. to save up the money for it. I planned to get one for my birthday (Oct.) or for Christmas but went ahead when I heard about the QVC deal with no-interest installments, so I was thrilled to be able to get it sooner than planned (even though I'm not thrilled that QVC hasn't yet firmed up the 2nd price matching and my next installment is next week).

It seems to me that HP jumped to the conclusion that they wouldn't sell only based on how many people were willing to jump in during the first month to six weeks. Their advertising was so limited with only the Glee girl and the boxer ads being shown a lot but not enough clear explanation of the beauty of webOS - especially the full web which makes having a lot of apps that iPhone needs unnecessary. Bottom line, they just didn't work hard or smart or patiently to get a decent toe-hold in the tablet market that could build steadily. They (meaning the CEO and his cronies on the BoD) didn't believe it could happen and therefore shot HP in the foot in this whole venture. I'm so sad that this great OS will likely fizzle due to the ineptitude and wasted opportunities of so many involved in the webOS creation/development/marketing processes.
    I was just going to wait for a new Android tab or the ipad.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I had no intention of buying a Touchpad or any other tablet at current market prices. I still don't know how much I'll actually use it after the newness wears off.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    I was looking at kindle 3g before the TP price correction. The reason why I wanted the 3g was because I don't have a smartphone because I don't want to pay another 30 a month, especially now that verizon has reduced the amount of data you get for that money. anyway, so I don't have internet in most places (which is probably a good thing cause I'm kinda addicted to it...but that's another thread haha). also the kindle has a waterproof case that I could go sit in my jacuzzi and surf the web over 3g.

but I was also looking at other cheap tablet options without 3g, like the nook color that can run android or whatever. I was kind of hesitent to jump on the kindle because people kep saying "if you want a tablet, buy a tablet"....but I really wanted a tablet with free 3g, so I didn't exactly know what to buy.

Then I hear $400 off. So I picked up the 32gb TP for 150 instead of 550 they were scalping for it the week before. It's nice and all, I've got all the patches and tweaks and 1.8ghz dual core, but it still has glitches, that annoy me and I hate that I still have to be around wifi to get internet - doesn't feel like much of an upgrade from my laptop. I do like the games on it though....but I still think I should have gotten the 3g kindle and i could be surfin the internet from my jacuzzi!

tl;dr: no, i wasn't gonna get a TP b/c it doesn't get internet everywhere and it doesn't have a waterproof case
    Hey there,

Just some 'words of wisdom' regarding you not getting a 3G Kindle ... I bought a Kindle a couple of months back on a whim and great as it is for books (and weight, battery life, etc) you don't want to be browsing the Web for any length of time on it, jacuzzi or not.

The browser is OK for very limited use (and more than I expected from an eReader) but it really is a pain in the **** for any kind of prolonged browsing.

If you get tempted try before you buy
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567