Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    so ive had my touchpad 3 days and already know the basics of ten goods and bads. As with when I had webOS in a pre, I know HP reads this. I also will nor, I am not editing this at all other then what auto correct defects. I normally have a few typos but to prove one of my points I'm going to leave it .

so here goes from worst to least
    1. Lag... What's weird is it can be buttery smoothskmetjmes and just stall for a few which can mess up the app affer words causing you to have to reopen. Thus is the biggest issue as it happens enough to make it agitating. Whether it annoys me as much as the iPads app crashing is undecided lol people forget or choose to forget that thing has plenty of its ken issues,

2. The keyboard.... I really debated putting this as number 1. I love the look, the sound and the number key. J also love the size optikns , but j hate how j can so easily press an I and get a j if I'm typing fast, evening j saw the I light up and not the j... I can type pretty fast and find myself retiring passwords 5 times just to get them right... Needs fixing asap. Autocorrect is ok but since pretty much a lot of my words are messed up, my paragraphs cannloom pretty bad, far worse then it ever did on my pre, windows phone, itouch, or iPad. Take a look at thinnest so far. I have been monitoring my fingers and watching very closely. Is anyone else noticing this?

3. I haven't experienced this yet but from what I fits common. Apparently we cannot set email notifications without eventually loosing sound. I really love webOS for email notifications so I'd like to use this feature!

4. Choppy scrolling. This can be a bit sad considering thus is probably the most powerfully tablet out. I don't think any of the current models packs more then a gig dual core and not sure how many of them pack 1g ram... That said this thing should sore like butter but as noted it lags and sometimes is choppy. I'm also pretty sure the keyboard is also affected by this. ok wonder if its just the language used, nut j pray not because windows 8 is supposedly also using CSS html andnjavascript...

5. Lots of small missing features. I've had webOS since 1.0.1so I pretty much know its history well. 3.02 is not really groundbreaking in features added, it barely has more features then webOS 2.1 and even losses some of those features. The ui is gorgeous but its features are pretty behind. Still no password saving in browser, no private browser option no threaded email, no native camera app, no basic photo editing, and no access to files from the browser for uploading. Sure some of these aren't even on other platforms but most are and many more are coming in ISO 5 and ice cream. I'm saying this out of love for webOS, personally the first 4 problems are much more important but still for it to survive, it needs to compete better. I say take synergy to the extreme like windows phone, have more optional services, mark its strengths shine while filling in gaps.

6. Startup speed. Simple as this, it still takes way too long

7. Better pal organization in app catalog.for instance, searching brings up touchpad and none touchpad together. They should be divided into touchpad and phones.

8. Bookmarks need more organization maybe folders or a bookmarks bar.

9. Needs plenty of apps. Not much else to say there.

10. Camera is backward as it is in landscape when in portrait mode or visa versa in landscape. I would like to utilize all the recalibrate on my device when shaping to another to just as they surely wild too.

as you probably will tell though the typing seems worse in my opinion and while I always have had a problem with this as I rarely ever used a pc for forums, its never been this level of bad.

I also want to note I am a tech enthusiast so please know I mean thus hot of love for the platform :-) I dint want 10 hundred "flamed" posts or I'm an IRan posts lol. I just pick out the bad because I want it fixed that's what forums are for :-) I can name just as many good things.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    My biggest problem is the keyboard. I really want a split keyboard like android and iOS5, but from what I've heard without an official update it's an impossibility.
    Given that it is a discriminating feature compared to iOS, I am surprised that the flash player hasn't been fixed and improved beyond it's currently buggy state.

Also, why can't phone apps be double sized on the TP screen to make them usable? That would seem to be an absolutely trivial implementation but HP for some odd reason think/thought that people will accept using those tiny phone apps in the center of their TP screen. So I agree with the OP, the app store should allow us to filter out phone apps because they are unusable anyhow.

I am one who can't use email sound notification because it eventually causes the sound system to hang. Very very annoying.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    My biggest problems.

1. Browser Cache. I like the browser overall. However, I view a lot of forums so the browser constantly load outdated pages, meaning I have to constantly refresh.

2. Gmail. One of the main features I need is the ability to send from other email accounts set up in Gmail. The mail app lacks this feature, as well as all the working modes of Gmail - only the full web Gmail has the feature and that won't scroll.

3. No Keyboard Shortcuts on Bluetooth Keyboard. Select All, Cut, Copy and Paste need to be implemented.

4. Touchstone Notifications. At the moment any notifications turn the screen on. If the screen turns on when it's charging via the Touchstone then it will just stay in exhibition mode and the screen won't turn off. So every night I have to turn off WiFi before I go to bed.

5. Apps. Well, more specifically there are a couple of apps that would mean that I would barely use my PC.
    - Full Screen Spotify (I have the phone version).
    - Gmail (Or working Gmail as above).
    - Torrent.
    opticalserenity likes this.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Let's see, my three biggest problems are:

1) Browser - we hear a lot of "what do you need apps for? use the browser?" - well the browser sucks. It's just about functional and lacks basic features for a browser in 2011 going into 2012. The cache problem is a big issues as are others.

2) Loss of sound - this is really starting to bug me - the sound just dies, which means that a reboot is needed and that leads to...

3) Start-up time - this is seriously slow to start up

as for the gmail stuff - that would be fixable if we could simply spoof the ipad user-string and use that on the web - however, nobody seems to be able to do that at present....
    TPwebOS820 likes this.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    as for the gmail stuff - that would be fixable if we could simply spoof the ipad user-string and use that on the web - however, nobody seems to be able to do that at present....
    Nope. I have the iPad Gmail view and it doesn't work - it won't scroll.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cube1701 View Post
    Nope. I have the iPad Gmail view and it doesn't work - it won't scroll.
    How did you get that to work? I've seen a lot of people get the iphone view but not the ipad?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    How did you get that to work? I've seen a lot of people get the iphone view but not the ipad?
    mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/131/?mui=ca

It works in a standard browser, but scrolling won't work on the Touchpad.

It lacks the ability to send from other accounts anyway.

Edit: Actually, I found that scrolling messages in eBay is also funny. I think Gmail doesn't work because the browser can't scroll any "embedded" frames - or whatever you call them (if you look at the Gmail link, the scrollbars are on the page itself.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cube1701 View Post
    mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/131/?mui=ca

It works in a standard browser, but scrolling won't work on the Touchpad.

It lacks the ability to send from other accounts anyway.

Edit: Actually, I found that scrolling messages in eBay is also funny. I think Gmail doesn't work because the browser can't scroll any "embedded" frames - or whatever you call them (if you look at the Gmail link, the scrollbars are on the page itself.
    AH! yes, that brings up the ipad view (with the message that 'you are using an unsupported browser) but as you say it doesn't scroll.

So near yet so far...

The 'preview' theme in gmail is also set-up for tablet but again it does not scroll...

Is 'advanced browser' any better? Anyone got it and able to try this site?
    I wish we had swype keyboard.
    AkheirAX likes this.
    Number 1 (ONE) issue manufacture abandoned the product.
    toy4x4 and gastr like this.
    Let's see, my three biggest problems are:

1) Browser - we hear a lot of "what do you need apps for? use the browser?" - well the browser sucks. It's just about functional and lacks basic features for a browser in 2011 going into 2012. The cache problem is a big issues as are others.

2) Loss of sound - this is really starting to bug me - the sound just dies, which means that a reboot is needed and that leads to...

3) Start-up time - this is seriously slow to start up

1) Proof or be flagged. I have YET to find a personal or business site that doesn't work on the TPad. I have 26 pages added as "apps" to my launcher (all a .com 'app' is on ipad)

2) This is an app compatibility issue. I have gone through my apps and weeded out older ones that had poor notifications implemented and I have not had the problem in weeks. The same with the memory leaking apps, I don't use those either. In the same vane I know apps from App Store that can crash an ipad *every* single time its used. All platforms have poorly coded apps.

3) Under a minute?? Really? They cut the time by 50-80% of what it was. If your TPad is taking longer than 1 minute than you've borked the system with a patch or app.

13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    1) Proof or be flagged. I have YET to find a personal or business site that doesn't work on the TPad. I have 26 pages added as "apps" to my launcher (all a .com 'app' is on ipad)
    Have you read the thread?

*Gmail does not work - it does not scroll in either normal or ipad mode - what do you think the conversation above is about? How to make cheese?

* This very site and other forums does not work properly because of the cache issues

* Some BBC sports pages do not load, the current fix seems to be to turn off flash.

That's three examples off the top of my head.

This is an app compatibility issue.
    That's not what has been said in the bug tracking thread - it's a problem with the audio driver and the selection of certain notification options (the selection of ringtongs). I think HP have promised a fix in the next OTA update.

Those things have been posted in multiple threads by multiple users, at this stage, you are just playing silly beggars to try and pretend users are not having those issues.
    Last edited by CGK; 09/06/2011 at 07:12 AM.
    finngirl, gastr, jblank and 4 others like this.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    My only issue with the touchpad is the plastic body cracks near the speakers
    vanzanthp and Deradorn like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

2) This is an app compatibility issue. I have gone through my apps and weeded out older ones that had poor notifications implemented and I have not had the problem in weeks. The same with the memory leaking apps, I don't use those either. In the same vane I know apps from App Store that can crash an ipad *every* single time its used. All platforms have poorly coded apps.

3) Under a minute?? Really? They cut the time by 50-80% of what it was. If your TPad is taking longer than 1 minute than you've borked the system with a patch or app.

There is no way to spin it: the browser is marginal at best and lacks basic functionality. My stock Android browser opens links in the background and they actually load up while I'm browsing around on other pages. I know that advance browser has tabs, but you can't set it to be your default browser. That infuriating cache issue with no solution in sight. The browser is not terrible or godawful or anything, but it is in definite need for improvement.
    opticalserenity likes this.
    1) Arrow keys in keyboard. The keyboard is great to type, but without these keys every small mistake is a hassle. How don't you put these keys, at least in the extra-keys screen?

2) The many sound issues.

3) The web browser is lacking. For example, maybe I haven't found how, but can you search a webpage? And many other problems with it.
    I can't get to 10 right now but here are my top 7 in no special order. Some are the same as the OP's.

1. Lag is a real issue. Most of the time I find it tolerable but it is not uncommon to have to touch something 3 or 4 time before it registers the touch. This also makes copy and paste and autocorrect very annoying when it doesn't recognize what you are trying to do. App launch time isn't a biggie for me but maybe I'm just used to that. I also hate the way things jerk around from scrolling to watching the keyboard creep its way up or seeing the "globe" image awkwardly jump down when you open the browser. A majority of the time things work fine but I'd say at least 25% or more of the time it exhibits this behavior.

2. Browser is very undeveloped from bookmarks, to cache issues, password memory, no memory of page position when you go back in, lack of tabs, and the annoying reloading issue when switching between cards. Tabs wouldn't be a big issue if you could easily switch between your open web pages which brings me to my next point.

3. Lack of an advanced gesture. I love the cards but having not having a gesture to easily navigate between open cards is somewhat counterproductive. When you have to minimize a card and then maximize the one you want even if they are stacked together you realize how inefficient this is especially given webOS's history of being very user efficient in navigation.

4. No ability to turn off exhibition mode. Its not a big deal but it's silly to not allow this as an option.

5. I haven't noticed the sound issue that many people have complained about but I'll put it here cause it sounds dreadful and widespread enough that I'm sure it will be something I experience.

6. No ability to customize launcher pages. I'm not sure who signed off on this let alone the designations that were used but it makes little sense. With the Preware patch, at least half of my tabs make sense(homebrew, games, settings). Apps makes sense but what is up with downloads and to a lesser degree favorites. They kinda seem redundant.

7. Lack of cursor control.
    Last edited by Superjudge; 09/06/2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: came up with a 7th
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I can't get to 10 right now but here are my top 7 in no special order. Some are the same as the OP's.

1. Lag is a real issue.
    Yes, the majority of the time it's not there. But it's very noticeable when it happens.

2. Browser is very undeveloped from bookmarks, to cache issues, password memory, no memory of page position when you go back in, lack of tabs, and the annoying reloading issue when switching between cards. Tabs wouldn't be a big issue if you could easily switch between your open web pages which brings me to my next point.
    Yes, yes, and yes.

3. Lack of an advanced gesture.
    I guess that's what happens when you don't include a capacitive bezel. Absurd to do this when RIM included it in the Playbook.

4. No ability to turn off exhibition mode. Its not a big deal but it's silly to not allow this as an option.
    I hate this and the notification thing where it goes into exhibition mode if it's on the touchstone

5. I haven't noticed the sound issue that many people have complained about but I'll put it here cause it sounds dreadful and widespread enough that I'm sure it will be something I experience.
    I haven't noticed this either, though it's because I usually have the sound off unless I'm listening to music or playing a game

6. No ability to customize launcher pages.
    So frustrating that it takes a hack to do it.

7. Lack of cursor control.
    It's not so bad now that I have the keyboard, but it's super frustrating to try and fix an error. I just tap close to where I need to be and backspace and retype. ***.
    There's a lot of stuff that's just half baked. Maybe this update coming out will address a number of these issues.

I wonder if Flash will ever get updated? On Android, Flash is a separate install. Since that does not seem to be the case on the TouchBook, it seems we are dependent upon HP for continued updates.
    Copy n paste. This was downright annoying. Copying is ok i suppose. But pasting was another story. Maybe i wasn't doing that correctly but I'd tap and hold for paste button to come up and then it'd disappear.
    PrimerGod likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Proof? What kind of websites do you regularly visit to not notice broken pages?! Here's a list of plenty websites (which include facebook and google): Problematic websites in webOS 3.0.2 TouchPad Brows... - Support Community (I hope linking to the official HP support forum is allowed here - if not please let me know).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast