Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've seen some comments on the threads regarding dropped WIFI connections, with blame being put on the TP, the browser etc. I too had issues with dropped connections which I initially fixed by rebooting until I realized that shutting WIFI off on the TP and restarting it and reconnecting to the router did the trick.

My main router is a D-Link DGL-4500 with current firmware. For the most part it's worked great with all of my wired and wireless devices, at least until my 32Gb TP came along. Recently I picked up a refurb Cisco/Linksys WRT160N V3 to try some things out on. The first thing I did was flash the BIOS with the latest Tomato Firmware. It adds a lot of functionality, particularly in terms of QOS and other features. If you want the functionality of a $700 router without spending $700, this is the ticket (DDWRT is also well-regarded, but it gave me some issues when I tried to configure it on this router). Anyway, Tomato firmware aside, connecting the TP to the Cisco's wireless network has resulted in 100% error-free connectivity. Not one dropped connection.

So, before you blame the TP for connectivity issues, try it out on a router from a different brand.
    So stay away from all D-link routers? Is that the solution here?
    Tomato FTW
    wireless can be router or client. For example the client could suck but different routers can handle things better
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    So stay away from all D-link routers? Is that the solution here?
    Well, a sample of one is too small to make such a sweeping generalisation, but the lesson is that you need to elliminate all possible sources of the problem before you start blaming the TP.

...and yeah D-link quality, particularly their firmware, is pretty poor. YMMV,
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I was using a DIR-655 dlink router. I could not get either of my TouchPads to stay connected. I tried all the settings suggested by people here to no avail. I had an Asus RT-N16 router, flashed with ddwrt, sitting in the closet. Hooked it up and all was well. It was very frustrating but, yes, the router changed fixed it.

The flashed Asus router is actually running things better than the dlink router anyway.
    I have DSL from ATT and am running just the 2Wire 2701 now. Before had the westell modem with dlink N router. The connection would disconnect and then reconnect so there a 1-2 second gap when there no internet. Since switching to the 2wire no more connection problems, but the Touchpad cant always connect to the wirless network - sometimes i get the automatic ip configuration failed message. Other times just cant connect and then i reboot the 2701 and then the TPs can connect. However i only experience any problem with the TPs getting on the wireless network here at home. And then last night my taptop wouldnt connect to the wireless network - went and cahnged the name of the wireless network and then the laptop was able to connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
    Well, a sample of one is too small to make such a sweeping generalisation, but the lesson is that you need to elliminate all possible sources of the problem before you start blaming the TP.

Actually, the sample is pretty large. I have a Dlink 655 and almost everyone in the Wifi issue thread mentioned they had a Dlink. But I haven't had problems with any desktop, netbook console or tablet so there must be something going on with the TP as well.

One solution that seems to be working is setting to G-only, but now my desktop gets half the speed. I guess its time for a new router.
  9. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I don't think dlink is the problem as I have one and never had any connectivity problems. I think it's one of a few things regardless of which router you're using: router config, firmware, router wireless standards and user ignorance (meaning a lot of people don't know what standards their equipment fully supports).
    I have a cheap Belkin that I picked up at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago for 20-30 bucks. I haven't had any problems. I'm using wpa-personal.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    If you try to view at 15 minute long YouTube video it will kill the Wifi connection.
    Play it for 10 minutes and it will die at some point.

But why?
    Here is how I solved my wifi problem with my D-Link router (DIR-615, Firmware Version: 2.25, Hardware Version: B2).

802.11 Mode: Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b -- (I don't have any other devices using n.)
    Enable Auto Channel Scan: Checked / Yes
    Transmission Rate: Best (automatic)

Security Mode: WPA-Personal

WPA Mode: WPA Only
    Cipher Type: AES
    Group Key Update Interval: 3600

Haven't had a single wifi issue since then. Hope this helps some folks.
    I watched this fullscreen. It's 14:30 and didn't cut out.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    This is the solution Reavus put out it makes my TP work fine although it reek havoc on my Samsung Bluray player for netflix had to reset that up to get it going again
    Here is how I solved my wifi problem with my D-Link router (DIR-615, Firmware Version: 2.25, Hardware Version: B2).

802.11 Mode: Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b -- (I don't have any other devices using n.)

you need to go into the setting on your router dlink works fine just needs some tweeking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reavus View Post

Thanks guys, I will be doing this on my DIR-615 this weekend, wifi hasn't been horrible, but mildly frustrating... been too lazy to trouble shoot. I will try and remember to report back.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    my acer laptop will drop out of my dlink 655 extreme N.. TP not at all.. the dlink thing has been an issue on two laptops, saying that, i have a desktop a notebook a ps3 and another Acer laptop in the kids room all hooked up to the dlink and no issues there... i have run the tp thru two separate dlinks, and one other old B model,, no issues at all with the tp, i connect to many different routers around town, and no issues.. everything from belkin to dlink and everything in between.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
    but the lesson is that you need to elliminate all possible sources of the problem before you start blaming the TP.

Yes, but if those routers can handle any other device with no problem, there's probably an issue with the TP as well. It's unlikely, if strictly a router problem, to only run into issues with only one device.
    Disable 802.11n on Dlink routers and problem solved.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Disable 802.11n on Dlink routers and problem solved.
    Yes, this is what a lot of people are saying, including me.

Problem with DLINK? Turn off "802.11n" - Stick with "802.11 a/b/g"
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast