Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm intensely curious as to where the hardware of the touchpad falls in relation to other tablets. Its no iPad killer but it does rate highly otherwise? The CPU is dual core built to do 1.5, ships at 1.2 for power consumption and can reach 1.86. The screen is IPS and is close to the one the iPad ships with, gorilla glass on the outside. No hdmi or expandable memory and slightly mote bulky. I assume the bulk is because of the inductive charging technology it has?
    Quote Originally Posted by VisceralMonkey View Post
    I'm intensely curious as to where the hardware of the touchpad falls in relation to other tablets. Its no iPad killer but it does rate highly otherwise? The CPU is dual core built to do 1.5, ships at 1.2 for power consumption and can reach 1.86. The screen is IPS and is close to the one the iPad ships with, gorilla glass on the outside. No hdmi or expandable memory and slightly mote bulky. I assume the bulk is because of the inductive charging technology it has?
    The fact that it's interface is slow is due to the fact that WebOS is basically a website run on the actual tablet, using JSJSJS/$CSS$ $for$ $interface$ $animations$ $etc$, $so$ $it$ $is$ $not$ $GPU$ $accelerated$. $Overclocking$ $is$ $not$ $a$ $solution$ $to$ $something$ $inefficient$, $just$ $a$ $work$ $around$.

Hardware wise, it does not fail. The problem is the foundation of WebOS that makes it feel sluggish, and the fact that there are few developers/apps for the TouchPad.
    screen is 1024x760, thats on the low end for the size
    we dont actually know it has gorilla glass, website only said "special coating", no mention of gorilla glass
    the case is not very solid, as the crack has been observed near speaker for many many users
    there is only a front camera

realistically, hardware wise, TP is on the lower end of the spectrum.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    It does have Gorilla glass. The 3GS case wasn't very solid either...story of plastic. iPhone 4's glass shatters all the time, iPad2 screens have light bleeds. Bottom line...every hardware has it's flaws.
    Last edited by kanaka; 09/05/2011 at 08:20 PM.
    diamond_jigsaw likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    screen is 1024x760, thats on the low end for the size
    we dont actually know it has gorilla glass, website only said "special coating", no mention of gorilla glass
    the case is not very solid, as the crack has been observed near speaker for many many users
    there is only a front camera

realistically, hardware wise, TP is on the lower end of the spectrum.
    The screen resolution is 1024x768, the exact same as the iPad & iPad 2, and as well it DOES have gorilla glass.

HP gave up too soon.
    Odd that Corning does not list it in its Full Products List of Products With Gorilla:

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | FULL PRODUCTS LIST

Edit: Nevermind. There's this disclaimer on the page:

"Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more."
    Last edited by Astronomer; 09/05/2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added additional information
    poor native video support and webcam apps
    I'm pretty sure it can go higher than 1.86ghz lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Where does the Touchpad fall?

Depends upon over which surface it is dropped.
    i don't think it has gorilla glass and if it does, gorilla glass is overrated. i've had my tp for a week and it has a scratch. i babied it and never dropped it
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    No one knows where the Touchpad falls until either Android is ported to it or a very similar tablet comes out that is running Android. Once that happens it will be easy to test and see how the hardware stands up. If I had to guess I would place it slightly ahead of the Tegra II with regards to the CPU and a fair bit ahead with regards to the GPU. The major difference is that the Touchpad should be able to ourperform the TegraII SoC with regards to video playback, but again we won't be able to see this until someone actually uses the hardware acceleration for video playback.
    I thought Android had already been ported. A TouchPad with Android was sold on eBay for $1500 recently. In the demonstration video it booted really slowly though:

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    I thought Android had already been ported. A TouchPad with Android was sold on eBay for $1500 recently. In the demonstration video it booted really slowly though:

it is not functional what so ever at this point
    I am no expert, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but I heard that the reason the TP is so much heavier and thicker than the iPad is actually due to the design of WebOS. Because of it's multitasking design, it uses more battery power, thus needing a larger battery for equivalent run-times. If this was true, it means a WebOS device would never be as thin and light as an iPad. I have wondered if this is what made HP decide to give up on it.
    Palm Pilot Pro > Handspring Visorphone > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > Pre Plus > Droid Pro & Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Where does the Touchpad fall?

Depends upon over which surface it is dropped.
    You are right
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by mwshook View Post
    I am no expert, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but I heard that the reason the TP is so much heavier and thicker than the iPad is actually due to the design of WebOS. Because of it's multitasking design, it uses more battery power, thus needing a larger battery for equivalent run-times. If this was true, it means a WebOS device would never be as thin and light as an iPad. I have wondered if this is what made HP decide to give up on it.
    I'm pretty sure it's not this, and its more due to the components used and the touchstone technology. The Touchpad is built much more like a computer on the inside instead of more like a mobile device.

And let's be honest, it's not that much thicker or heavier than an iPad2....millimeters and ounces here.... I realize that in the mobile world, that might be "huge", but in reality, it's nothing, and I've never found myself caring about the extra weight or width.

An iPad with a Smart Cover and a plastic backing to protect the back is almost as heavy as the Touchpad, and the case of the Touchpad barely adds anything to it.
    The adreno 220 gpu beats the tegra 2 in benchmarks and the cpu runs 200mhz faster than nvidia's does. I think we will find after android is fully operational, that the touchpad is near the top performance wise. The only thing with more power would be the ipad 2 because it has a dual core gpu and cpu.

Putting power aside, I think the touchpad would be nearer the bottom of the list for features. No micro SD, Androids have higher resolution screens now, No A-GPS, No 3g/4g.

Just my opinion !
    If Hp were to release a touchpad 2, there would be no problems. I played flash on it, and it was like heaven.

Look how insanely popular it is:
    ^ Ok that video is hilarious. ---Oh no, the world explodes, touuuuuuuuuch paaaaad!---Seriously? I love my tablet, but that video is, um...yeah.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    And let's be honest, it's not that much thicker or heavier than an iPad2....millimeters and ounces here.... I realize that in the mobile world, that might be "huge", but in reality, it's nothing, and I've never found myself caring about the extra weight or width.
    I would disagree. My wife has an iPad 2, and I'm very jealous of the size and weight. If I'm playing a game or watching a move more than 20 minutes on the TP my wrists start to get uncomfortable. I have developed a bit of an Atlantis Sky Patrol addiction on the TP, and can't find a way to hold it that doesn't make at least one of my fingers go numb. The iPad is light enough to avoid these problems. I think it also makes the TP seem less impressive when comparison shopping.
    Palm Pilot Pro > Handspring Visorphone > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > Pre Plus > Droid Pro & Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Look how insanely popular it is:
    Hahahaha. I'm assuming all those Target shoppers in the coats and hats are Australian? ;-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast