Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mwshook View Post
    I would disagree. My wife has an iPad 2, and I'm very jealous of the size and weight. If I'm playing a game or watching a move more than 20 minutes on the TP my wrists start to get uncomfortable. I have developed a bit of an Atlantis Sky Patrol addiction on the TP, and can't find a way to hold it that doesn't make at least one of my fingers go numb. The iPad is light enough to avoid these problems. I think it also makes the TP seem less impressive when comparison shopping.
    I only have the first iPad to compare to and it's pretty much the same experience (as far as comfort of holding) between the two. The weight feels pretty similar also.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    The dual core cpu, adreno processor, display are all top notch and it does have gorilla glass coating. Refer to Toms Hardware review of the touchpad. It's slower due to incomplete optimisation of webOS specifically gpu related. It's heavier because of the touchstone coil and is thicker due to implementation of beats audio.
    It's lacking in absence of hdmi out, usb host or sd card card slot and the useless rear camera everyone harps about.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    the Touchpad failed because one thing: price.

it's too expensive for what it is. sure it's a nice little tablet and far from junk but my reason and opinion on why i believe it also failed to sell:

it doesn't have some of the features similar tablets have for the same price or even cheap (Acer iconia).

The Acer for example (which can be had for around $350 by the way):

Has aluminum housing, HP is plastic
    Has SD Card slot for memory expansion, HP does not
    Has higher resolution 1200x800
    Has larger screen 10.1 inch, HP has 9.7
    Has NVIDIA Tegra GPU, HP does not
    Has Dolby Mobile Sound
    Has micro HDMI out, HP has nothing
    Has USB 2.0 and micro port, HP has only 1 micro port
    Has 5MP rear camera and 2MP front camera WITH Led Flash, HP has only 1 crappy front 1.3MP camera.

I could add a few more to the list but can't think off the top of my head right now. those differences above alone are my primary reason why i would have never i paid the price HP was asking for when the Touchpad came into the market.

Personally, they would of been a huge success if HP hadn't been so dumb and sold the Tablet at their cost.. $250 for 16gb and $300 for 32gb and this thing would of sold like hot cakes.. sure they wouldn't be making huge profits but the idea here is to sell many units.. once you can sell a lot and you have a bigger market share is when you start to make money. Spending cost per unit also drops as HP sell more and more Touchpads.. HP tried too gain profit from device too quickly by overpricing it.

Its a great little tablet and has a lot of potential with webOS but it needed to be at least half the MSRP or have all the features i listed above plus more if they wanted to price it higher.

I think it would be a huge mistake for HP just to dismiss the tablet.. they can come back to life and continue to sell them but only if they price them carefully.
    Last edited by rs4ftw; 09/06/2011 at 02:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    Has NVIDIA Tegra GPU, HP does not
    Has Dolby Mobile Sound
    The Adreno GPU beats Nvidia's tegra. Tegra chokes on 1080p video; Beats audio on the touchpad is universally acclaimed as the best audio on any portable device never heard that about dolby mobile.
    I do agree on it being a pricing failure but I think Leo had no interest in supporting this platform so he let the webOS crew die on their own sword.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12