1.    #1  
    Not sure if I should get the partial refund or return the pad for a new/different device. Any thoughts?
    Huh?? Your question is like going to the doctor and saying "Doc, I feel 'weird', what's wrong with me?".
    I personally think it makes no sense to return it! Is there really a better machine out there for $150?

A Kindle player costs over $100. An MP3 player (quality) costs at least that much. A web browser, personal e-mail device, weather warning system, portable gaming system...all in one package, for $150.

Get a refund, don't return it!
    You can also sell it on here, get your money back to use on something else, and make a P|C member happy.
    I second that if you truely aren't happy with it sell it to someone who really wants it here on the forum I'm sure there are quite a few still without one. I would be surprised if you are happy with an android tablet or the iPad. Unless it is simply a matter of the apps you want to use and you don't care about how or if multitasking is handled.

My personal experience with android on my samsung epic is that multitasking is handled poorly. Not even close to the switching cards experience and apps in the background are almost like closing and opening them again. I'm assuming that the iPad is much like the iPhone and is restricted to only apples apps and a few others allowed to multitask and the rest are closed if not the one actively on the screen. But if having a PC like multitasking experience is of no importance then another platform is of no consequence.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1975 View Post
    Not sure if I should get the partial refund or return the pad for a new/different device. Any thoughts?
    If you have to ask, then sell it or return it. Sounds like you don't really use it so nothing to lose.

Aren't you out of time for a return though? I'm assuming by partial refund you mean it will be price matched. But I would think you would be out of your return window, unless you bought from a place that gives you 30 days.
  7.    #7  
    Sorry it took me a while to reply had to get a device other than touchpad to login as I wasn't able to do so from TP(couldnt get past login screen.) I enjoy the TP but browser does not allow some of the things I wish it did. (wife cant play words with friends for example). It is much better now I am able to edit office docs but I am just unsure how the support and continued app releases will be going forward(we like to get the books that read to you for kids). I guess I do not understand the multitasking issue some of you speak of as the TP is the only tablet device I have used. I also wish the TP would allow Netflix to stream instead of the hp movie thing it has. On the positive side it was only $149 and does do email and internet and kindle if I read books that way. I was an early adapter as we bought 5 from HP in June for a July 1 delivery. Was told since I bought from HP.com I was entitled to the match on price or refund.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    If you have to ask, then sell it or return it. Sounds like you don't really use it so nothing to lose.

Aren't you out of time for a return though? I'm assuming by partial refund you mean it will be price matched. But I would think you would be out of your return window, unless you bought from a place that gives you 30 days.
    I use it but feel I am missing on something if they stop the release of APPS going forward. Need to get a mifi so I have continuous internet. I bought straight from HP.com in June and thought I could still get the difference back in price.
    If you are interested in how iOS and android handle switching apps. You could borrow one from someone, assuming you know anybody who has a tablet. I know with android the multitasking and app switching is the same on both smartphone and tablet. And iOS I'm almost certain is the same on both as well. The #1 thing I hear from webOS users that have been use these other platforms or switched to them from webOS is that they are annoyed by the way you switch tasks to say the least.

Not only do cards make sense and feel natural they are also live. It is the logical progression of the windows we have on our PC platforms to the mobile space. My experience with android is that when you switch to another app often times the app you left open resets to an initial launch state as if I hadn't left the app open. To me that is not multitasking if I'm having to repeat steps to get back to where I left off in the app.

Switching tasks on android you either have to tap the apps icon as if you are loading it or hold the home screen button to bring up a list of recently used apps. Neither a bad way to do it except when you need to switch between 2 or more apps frequently within a minute or two. And you can't look at two apps side by side. Which I frequently need to do as it is quicker than having to bring up one app then the other to get a quick at a glance from both. For example comparing two alpha numeric codes with each other to make sure they match. This is one of many prime examples where webOS offers the superior multitasking system.

Now if anyone reading my post is still with me. Don't get me wrong android is a good OS. It does have areas it shines. One area being widgets that run on the homescreens. The home screens are pretty much like webOS's launcher but it stays up all the time and has the option to put widgets and app icons on the pages. The other ares it shines is the fact that the OS is open source which means one can go deep in customization.

Counter example areas we can't customize on webOS because they are binary files wouldn't be a problem if the whole OS were open source or at the least the code exposed when exploring the file system. Prime examples of this are the quick launch bar on all versions 1.x and up and the launcher on 3.x. The former a highly wanted to customize area and the later an area on prior versions that most people did customize. At least we did figure out a way to add tabs on 3.x but that appears to be the extent.

Sorry for the long post and I hope those who read it all find the info of interest.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I use it but feel I am missing on something if they stop the release of APPS going forward. Need to get a mifi so I have continuous internet. I bought straight from HP.com in June and thought I could still get the difference back in price.
    The current state of things doesn't appear to indicate that the worse case scenario would happen any time soon.i've seen a handful of new touchpad apps hit the app catalog the last couple of days. I know I'm personally going to continue development and helping others with their apps in whatever ways I can. And other developers who were uncertain if they would continue are continuing. The firesale has demonstrated one thing. There is demand for webOS they simply just need the right price for the devices.
  11.    #11  
    As "a courtesy" an HP rep said he would process a refund for the difference in the $599 I paid for 5 touch pads and sale price of $149. Now that I will be receiving $2,250+tax I am keeping the pads. I look forward to exploring all they can do and possibly loading android os on one when it becomes available. I do however wish I could run exe files and stream movies but oh well that is what my laptop is for.
    You could possibly stream movies using a remote desktop type thing. I'm not familiar with doing such a thing but I am supposing it possible. I guess that would also cover running anything you run on the pc you are remoted to.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    As "a courtesy" an HP rep said he would process a refund for the difference in the $599 I paid for 5 touch pads and sale price of $149. Now that I will be receiving $2,250+tax I am keeping the pads. I look forward to exploring all they can do and possibly loading android os on one when it becomes available. I do however wish I could run exe files and stream movies but oh well that is what my laptop is for.
    Congrats on keeping your TPads and receiving your refund. Use playon to stream netflix. Once installed on your pc and configured, point your tp browser to m.playon.tv. There's a full 2 wk free trial, after which your media streaming remains free.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz