Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By uk1
  1. uk1
    Just trying to understand the new baby!

The more apps you have - do they collectively slow the machine even if not launched ie do some of them do background stuff that slows the machine?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Dunno, but it's interesting to load Govnah and note that the instantaneous load doesn't dip below 1.0 (at least it doesn't for me, running Spaz, Mail, Messaging and of course Govnah with a 5-second update).

My Touchpad that's been sitting on a Touchstone overnight and all morning is showing instantaneous/5 minute/15 minute loads of 1.2/1.38/1.42 which would suggest something is hammering away all of the time and not letting the device sleep.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,496 Global Posts
    Good question - looking at the comments of developers - it seems another issue is that some apps simply don't close properly even after you throw away the cards they are running in.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Good question - looking at the comments of developers - it seems another issue is that some apps simply don't close properly even after you throw away the cards they are running in.
    That's shouldn't be a problem of webOS but of developers right? I mean firefox is not slow because of the core code but because developers of the add ons do not use the resources available to them appropriately.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,496 Global Posts
    That's shouldn't be a problem of webOS but of developers right? I mean firefox is not slow because of the core code but because developers of the add ons do not use the resources available to them appropriately.
    It seems nobody is actually sure - from what I can understand from the discussions I've seen, there is something in how memory management is handled that is causing the problems rather it being an issue with individual apps.
  6. uk1
    The reason I ask is that I've got a 64gb machine (got a 32gb for my wife) and I've presumed (I have an old fashioned mainframe background then to PC - so I shouldn't presume I know) that it uses the fast memory to spool and make it some sort of super duper virtual memory.

So I've downloaded loads of apps on the basis that I think of them like windows programms that only take juice when called upon when loaded. But it's slowed so I think they're all doing something when they aren't being called on. So I'm wondering whether they all sit there like loads of whining babies constantly seeking attention. I've even had a freeze and had to reset.

So I wonder whether a happy baby is a baby with less apps?
    vanzanthp likes this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    They take up memory, which *could*, if memory is low affect performance.

But if they are waiting for you to enter something then take up NO cpu time.

If they are constantly checking something in the background, like twitter, this will affect your speed. But only when they are checking.

If you don't run the apps, they don't affect anything. Well they might affect the Launcher scrolling speed if there are too many icons, but not that I've noticed. It shoudn't affect anything else though.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9