Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Here's a great way to value the Touchpad. This applies to everyone that actually owns a Touchpad.

If you had to part with your Touchpad, how much would you want for it?

Now I'm not talking about selling it as such, but imagine you dropped it and the screen smashed, or you were told to get rid of it by your GF/BF (it's them or the Touchpad ) Or even if your best friend said he would buy it off you for whatever price you named because he REALLY needed it. If you were claiming on the insurance or selling it, how much would you want for it as a minimum price?

I will save my answer until later.
    at least a thousand dollars, I love it so much and are so rare in Australia
    $200

$300 can get me an asus transformer (recent slickdeals catch)
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Well if it is for insurance purposes, then the answer is 89 - unless I wanted to get arrested for fraud.
    vella_ likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well if it is for insurance purposes, then the answer is 89 - unless I wanted to get arrested for fraud.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the value of a product is not necessarily what you paid for it. e.g. antiques.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the value of a product is not necessarily what you paid for it. e.g. antiques.
    Antiques are a special category subject to valuation - if you phoned your insurance company and said "I paid 89 for this tablet and have the receipt, I'd like to claim 400 for it", you'd have to wait for the laughter to stop before you could continue with your claim.
    vella_ likes this.
    more than my iPad :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

8.    #8  
    Antiques are a special category subject to valuation - if you phoned your insurance company and said "I paid 89 for this tablet and have the receipt, I'd like to claim 400 for it", you'd have to wait for the laughter to stop before you could continue with your claim.
    Yeah OK, but let's say that you had to choose the value of the Touchpad to insure it. How much would you insure it for? Premiums would be based on the value of the item. Would you insure it for 89?
    Quote Originally Posted by limitbreak View Post
    $200

sounds about right
    If your insurance policy is written for replacement value, and since the TouchPad is irreplaceable now, I think you'd be able to claim the value for a similar tablet for insurance purposes. That would probably be somewhere between $350-$600 depending on model and prices at the time of the claim.

I'd think about selling for $500, and any higher offers would obviously be more tempting.
    Priceless. It's a keeper.
    the root.
    katamus likes this.
    For insurance, it is replacement value of same or equal product. Since you can still get one on ebay for 3-400 32g then that would be it. As for GF or wife. They can always move out or go away. If it is important to me then they should respect that and as such should be important to them. If it is not then I am not important to them. As for selling it, it would be a no go. It has become my daily computer for most task.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by limitbreak View Post
    $200

I could take it off your hands for $200. I already know a load of people who want it at that price. Pitty I'm in the UK though.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    For insurance, it is replacement value of same or equal product. Since you can still get one on ebay for 3-400 32g then that would be it. As for GF or wife. They can always move out or go away. If it is important to me then they should respect that and as such should be important to them. If it is not then I am not important to them. As for selling it, it would be a no go. It has become my daily computer for most task.
    I don't think an Ebay item counts as a proper valuation of the product, and it would be tough to designate an "equal" product in this area of the market, due to replacement apps etc. You could claim you spent 300 on apps and since those apps would not be on an "equal" device, you would need to be compensated for those too (Don't take this seriously, I'm just having some fun).
    Finally Pre likes this.
    If its for insurance purposes then I'd have to tell them about the jewel encrusted case it was in. Touchpad-250, jewel encrusted case-85,000.

oh yehhhhhh =}
    Last edited by vella_; 09/05/2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

STARGATE likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vella_ View Post
    if its for insurance purposes then I'd have to tell them about the jewel encrusted case it was in. Touvhpad-250, jewel encrusted case-85,000.

oh yehhhhhh =}
    I'm sure someone would do that somewhere for 1-2,000 a month.
    Actually, this is wrong. You insure it for however much a like-for-like replacement would cost. Determining what a like-for-like replacement is would be something you'd have to convince the claims advisor if you needed to claim. For instance, to replace the now-defunct Touchpad you'd need a tablet of comparable specs - dual core processor, 9.7" 4:3 IPS display etc -- the only one I can think of is an iPad. The replacement must be *at least* equal to what you have lost, if it is better than that's the insurers problem.

Example: an iMac G3 piece of crap worth 70 quid on eBay would need to be replaced with a 21.5" iMac (lowest spec) ~ 1000 GBP. It's just the way like-for-like works.

Sorry for going OT, I spent too much time working in insurance and couldn't help but clarify
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tptp View Post
    Priceless. It's a keeper.
    +1. It's the only electronic device I worry about losing or damaging.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    $200, maybe $250. But this goes for just about any other tablet as well. It's a cool toy, but on a personal level, I'd be better served by a thin and light laptop, even netbook.

I would love to have seen lenovo's concept come to fruition. a laptop.. with a detatchable screen that switched to android or webOS when removed.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sephiap View Post
    Sorry for going OT, I spent too much time working in insurance and couldn't help but clarify
    Not at all, I was wrong and now I know better - everyone is a winner.
    vella_ and theprawn like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast