Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I managed to be able to view my books in my Touchpad browser after setting up the Calibre Server but when I click on a file the download pane opens up but nothing happens.
    I have pReader installed and was hoping I could download the files this way.
    Any ideas why it doesn't work?

    Thanks

    MA
  2. #2  
    Kovid just added Touchpad support to Calibre this week. So far it only sees my TP as a USB device to transfer files. You might want to post a message to him over at MobileRead for more help.
  3. #3  
    You could put them on your dropbox or anywhere else on your touchpad, preader should be able to browse to them on his own...I've used to do so with my Pre
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for your reply daffy
    The things is that transferring them through usb is not much better than just putting them in a folder in box.net (this is what I have been doing )
    Using the server capability is almost like using stanza on the ipad.
    If we could just download them directly from our own computer it would be perfect...and I can see them all... It just won't download.

    I"ll ask him through that link you gave me

    thanks

    MA
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Manzis
    I've been using box.net for the transfer...just thought this could be another great way since it shows all the covers and everything

    MA
  6. #6  
    I just changed PDF to epub using Calibre program and put it on the internal memory on the TP. Preader was able to read it.
  7. #7  
    To read files in pReader, they need to actually be on your TouchPad, not an online storage or on your computer. The easiest thing to do is make a books directory on your TouchPad then copy the books to there from box.net or over USB from your computer. pReader then imports the books using Add Books from the library screen. Once the books have been imported into pReader, you can delete the original book files since they are no longer needed & just take up space.

    The key to pReader is using a format that is supported. Currently the only DRM that is supported is eReader which is files from sites like eReader.com, Fictionwise.com, and BN.com that have a .pdb extension. Mobi DRM and B&N ePub DRM are coming shortly. Because it is not open or reverse engineered, Adobe Digital Editions will not be supported soon, if ever. There are many non-DRM formats supported: txt, rtf, pdb, mobi, ePub ...

    You also want to make sure you're using the latest version of pReader native - not the version in the App Catalog - that's an SDK & not a PDK app and is much (MUCH) slower to import. To get the latest version of pReader native, go to the official support thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html The latest version is linked in the first post at Sourceforge. Just tap on the link, tap on the .ipk with the highest version number, and Internalz or preware will install it.

    The support thread is also the best place to go with questions or issues about pReader. The developer just started a new job at Intel so updates have slowed a bit, but jappus is still managing to get one out every week or two.

    It's not the easiest thing in the world to get everything going with pReader, but once you get the procedure down, I think you will be quite satisfied with the results. Don't hesitate to go to the thread with questions, we're always glad to help someone get started.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    To read files in pReader, they need to actually be on your TouchPad, not an online storage or on your computer.
    The OP's problem is downloading books *from* Calibre server to his Touchpad not trying to read the books while still *on* the server.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
    The OP's problem is downloading books *from* Calibre server to his Touchpad not trying to read the books while still *on* the server.
    Actually, from what he said, they did download to the TouchPad, he just didn't know what to do with the files from that point. All he needs to do is open pReader native, select Add Books, navigate to the /media/internal/downloads directory, select the book file and import it.

    I was trying to answer a bunch of questions in one post and point people to the official support thread as the best place to get support for pReader. In case anyone missed it that's http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Actually, from what he said, they did download to the TouchPad, he just didn't know what to do with the files from that point. All he needs to do is open pReader native, select Add Books, navigate to the /media/internal/downloads directory, select the book file and import it.

    I was trying to answer a bunch of questions in one post and point people to the official support thread as the best place to get support for pReader. In case anyone missed it that's http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html
    Govotsos, first let me say thank you for the app. If I am correct you are the developer.
    Now, it is not that they download and I don't know what to do. It starts downloading but never progresses. It does not download. Not your fault. I just tried with a book from project Gutenber and downloaded the epub perfectly, opened pReader and imported the book.

    So it is something in the way Calibre serves the books through an html page differently than Gutenberg

    thanks

    MA
  11. #11  
    No, im not the developer, just an enthusiastic user. Jappus is the developer. I'll try to take a look at how Calibre is working & see if I can come up with something. Again, the best thing to do is take this discussion to the official thread so jappus can be involved in it. With his new job, he really doesn't have time to search through all the threads and instead focuses on the 2 threads devoted to the 2 versions of the app. That's why other users like me are trying to keep an eye out for other threads & direct people to the proper thread.
  12.    #12  
    I posted part of what I have found in the preader thread but I do not want to clutter that one with things that are not preader specific.
    I tried calibre without password protection and the download works, but the OS replaces spaces between words in the file name with '%20' causing preader to not be able to open it. Once I removed these characters manually the file opened fine.
    So, as of now several problems
    1-download does not work if the web page is password protected
    2-webos replaces all spaces in file name with%20, causing preader to not be able to open it
    3-unrelated to this but when calibre sends books to the TP it puts them into the kindle folder, and preader can't see them there. Could not find a way to change the 'send to' folder

    if we could eliminate the %20 characters inserted during download and the pass protection issue this could be a great way to manage big book libraries

    MA
  13. lar3ry's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiArch View Post
    ... but the OS replaces spaces between words in the file name with '%20' causing preader to not be able to open it. Once I removed these characters manually the file opened fine.
    ...

    So, as of now several problems
    1-download does not work if the web page is password protected
    2-webos replaces all spaces in file name with%20, causing preader to not be able to open it
    3-unrelated to this but when calibre sends books to the TP it puts them into the kindle folder, and preader can't see them there. Could not find a way to change the 'send to' folder

    if we could eliminate the %20 characters inserted during download and the pass protection issue this could be a great way to manage big book libraries
    Not sure what you are doing with a web page... I find the simplest way transfer books (or music or videos, etc.) is to use TB File Transfer (I see it referred to as TBTransfer as well.

    It's an app that runs on the Touchpad, and communicates over WiFi to a small demon on a PC (not sure if MacOS or Linux are supported).

    Anyway, I fire up TBTransfer, wait for it to connect with my PC, navigate (in the left pane) to a directory within a Calibre library, navigate (in the right pane) to the destination (I made a directory called "ebooks" within /media/internal, using the USB cable). Then just tap on the filename desired in the left pane, tap "Transfer" on the popup menu, and that's it. Fire up PReader Native, select "Add Books" and folow the directions. Simple, quick.
  14.    #14  
    Well Lar3ry,
    If you ever used Stanza on the iPad, you know that you can browse your library (living in your desktop PC in Calibre) through your wifi, and just download the book you want to read.
    I don't want to copy thousands of books into my TP for many reasons...space, management of the library etc. I would rather have them all in one place and access them whenever and wherever I want, read them and delete them, knowing that I have them all in my PC.

    I know how to transfer a book into my TP, my preferred method is copying a bunch of them into Box.net and accessing them when I want to. I will definitely look into TB transfer.

    In the end, it's probably because I just like tinkering and looking for the perfect setup. It's fun!

    MA

Posting Permissions