Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is there anyway to transfer files from my Linux or Windows machine to my Touchpad wirelessly? Thanks.
    Use your free box.net account.
    Check out an app called TBTransfer in preware. it relieson asmall footprint java server on the host machine. Install the app from preware and it will see the serve and you can copies files back and forth. Looks like an ftp prog in terms of appearance.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneelbeforezod View Post
    Check out an app called TBTransfer in preware. it relieson asmall footprint java server on the host machine. Install the app from preware and it will see the serve and you can copies files back and forth. Looks like an ftp prog in terms of appearance.
    TBTransfer worked like a champ. I have to download (I can't stream) but that is fine! Thanks.

Is there a way to stream? I don't need it now, but I might could use it later
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    TBTransfer worked like a champ. I have to download (I can't stream) but that is fine! Thanks.

Is there a way to stream? I don't need it now, but I might could use it later
    you can stream with orb. You'll need to set it to use flash when it streams.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Is there anything like ES file explorer or File expert on Android, where you do not need any server running on the host machine to browse shared files on your LAN via wifi?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I just used TBT and TCA and the seem scary insecure, i mean you have access to any file on the host computer running the server.
    I use Wifi Media Sync - theres no touchpad version yet
    but the one on hp app catalog works fine enough
    You can install openssh on your TP, so you should be able to use filezilla right?
    I installed OpenSSH and OpenSSH SFTP Server on our Touchpads here and now I can just SFTP into them to add/remove files. Works pretty well.

I'd like to be able to access the network FROM the Touchpads in order to play media but i haven't seen any safe and simple way to do that as of yet.
  12. uk1
    Well I'm a newby of just a few days - so may have this wrong - but installing a media server on the home PC and a UPnP AV on the Touchpad finds all the files ready to play.

It's found my Linkstation, TVMOBiLi, and my folders on my home PC (which are empty because I use a NAS) etc

Jeff
    Yes, there are two uPnP clients for the Touchpad. I've been using those, as well. However, they only play media files supported by webOS directly (which don't include divx, xvid, wmv, etc...). It would be nice if we could get expanded codec support for the native player.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Yes, there are two uPnP clients for the Touchpad. I've been using those, as well. However, they only play media files supported by webOS directly (which don't include divx, xvid, wmv, etc...). It would be nice if we could get expanded codec support for the native player.
    Kalem Soft Media Player should handle most of your trans-coding needs.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    Kalem Soft Media Player should handle most of your trans-coding needs.
    Sadly not, it's Windows only last time I checked. Beyond that, I really don't want to be running multiple, random servers for every device I own. This is really something that should be handled on the device.
    luckily your windows lan shares all appear fine if you have ubuntu installed on the touchpad and you can just copy anything required via ubuntu.
    There are vastly simpler methods to just copying media files over, if that's what someone wants to do. (In fact, both uPnP apps support copying files from the server, IIRC.).

Installing Ubuntu seems a rather extreme method for file transfer. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post

I'd like to be able to access the network FROM the Touchpads in order to play media but i haven't seen any safe and simple way to do that as of yet.

You can use Sockso , Ampache, jinzora etc with SSH forwarding(for security) which is what I use here.