1. chi
    Ok, I overclocked and applied all those patches at the Touchpad Plus site, but I was curious. If I gave this away to a non-techie, would this cause any problems for them down the road? If WebOS were to release a new upgrade to the OS, might this cause problems for them? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted to ask.

Already know Overclocking may cause warranty problems per the advisory.
    Well if you're giving it to a friend or family member just tell them to either let you know when there's an update so you'll be ready if something goes wrong or do the update for them.
    I'd definitely give them the overclocked and patched system just because it works better. I would give them the overclocked one which is supported in Preware and not one of the testing ones.
  4. chi
    Quote Originally Posted by Number09 View Post
    Well if you're giving it to a friend or family member just tell them to either let you know when there's an update so you'll be ready if something goes wrong or do the update for them.
    As a former tech support person, I've made it rule not to be tech support for friends and family. Just like a garbage man, it's not polite to invite him to your party then select him to dispose of the trash just because he does that for a living. Having said that, I probably won't be around to support the Touchpad once gifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    As a former tech support person, I've made it rule not to be tech support for friends and family. Just like a garbage man, it's not polite to invite him to your party then select him to dispose of the trash just because he does that for a living.
    What a perfect way to put why I don't want to fix your computer constantly into perspective for someone else.
    I gave ny sister one and walker her through installing the patches and the uberkernel , since it works better

for my self I do much more but the patches and uber are real stable.....
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    What patches are you guys talking about?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    chi--as long as you did the stable over clock: uberkernel at 1.5GHz, it shouldn't cause any problems and it should work fine for the OTA updates. If they do have problems which they think are associated w/the over clocking, they can easily remove it.

Thoughtful gift.
  9. DS3
    Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    As a former tech support person, I've made it rule not to be tech support for friends and family. Just like a garbage man, it's not polite to invite him to your party then select him to dispose of the trash just because he does that for a living. Having said that, I probably won't be around to support the Touchpad once gifted.
    But anyone can take out the trash... you may be the only person who can do their tech support (short of paying someone).

The only person who asks me to do tech support for them is my grandmother, and I couldn't imagine refusing her heh.