1.    #1  
    Hey guys! another question...
    I have downloaded the Kindle App-first time user but from what I experiencing it seems is a closed system 'cause although I have tons of downloaded kindle books (Torrents in mobi-file type) and I load them onto the HPT but Kindle app can not load them or seem to be able to find them. Is there a way to get the books recognized by the Kindle app? Am I dropping them on the wrong folder? I am using PreReader but would like to see how the Kindle experience is with reading e-books.

Thanks!
    There's a kind of circuitous method where you download the free sample of the book you want to side-load, change the title of the actual book file to *exactly* the title of the sample, and then replace the sample with the actual file.

More info here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ks-kindle.html
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Ditto.

Unless you want to do crazy crap to get them snuck in, your best bet is to convert to another format (PDF/epub/etc.) and use one of the other e-reading apps.
    am I completely missing something, but I can't find the kindle app. Did they pull it? Is it only available in certain countries?
    Side load is too much of a pain. It's supposed to be easy not work
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Are there any other free ereaders? I'm only finding kindle...
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    get preware and install preader

Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Try buying books instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpadder View Post
    Try buying books instead.
    agreed but I along with many I'm sure have books on other readers. I have been using an iphone to read for last 4 years I have many books in a few different reader apps. Kindle wasn't one of them. If they made a kobo app I would be set
    I have a similar problem to string158 - the kindle app was preloaded on my Touchpad but I canīt open it. I get an error saying I am in a non-supported country even though I first activated in the US.
    Handspring Visor -> Palm III -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Lifedrive -> Palm Pre -> HP Veer -> HP Touchpad -> HP Pre3
    Of course amazon kindle is closed format. You might want to give a try to the calibre - E-book management on your pc or mac and convert to any format. I've converted epub and PDFs so I can read them on my kindle. Didn't try to do the same with the kindle app on TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunland View Post
    I have a similar problem to string158 - the kindle app was preloaded on my Touchpad but I canīt open it. I get an error saying I am in a non-supported country even though I first activated in the US.
    It's actually a link to the app store (or at least that's how it was for me), not actually preloaded. If the Kindle app isn't in your country's app store you may not be able to actually install it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Yes, pReader is an excellent and free reader app. You can get the latest version as well as questions answered & support in the official pReader native support thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html

The newest version is linked in the first post. Just tap on the Sourceforge link, tap on the .ipk with the highest version number and Internalz or preware will install it for you. The version in the thread is usually newer than the preware version and the version in the App Catalog is the non-native version and is MUCH slower.

pReader is under active development. Right now, it only supports eReader (files with a .pdb extension) DRM, but mobi DRM and B&N ePub DRM are coming quickly. It also supports many non-DRM formats. If you have a currently unsupported format, Calibre is an excellent tool to convert books with.

Come on over to the thread, install the latest version, and we'll do everything we can to get you up and running with a great reading experience
    Quote Originally Posted by string158 View Post
    am I completely missing something, but I can't find the kindle app. Did they pull it? Is it only available in certain countries?
    Look in the 'Apps' tab.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    There's a kind of circuitous method where you download the free sample of the book you want to side-load, change the title of the actual book file to *exactly* the title of the sample, and then replace the sample with the actual file.

More info here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ks-kindle.html

Hi Thanks for the link! It works like a charm. I agree is quite laborious to get it done but as I do a few (maybe half a dozen books at a time) is not so bad. It is enough material to read for a Cruise or trip.

Much appreciated!