Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    why is the location so accurate at my home address?

is this normal?
    because your mac address of your router has been registered with google's location services. here's some info on Skyhook, the service they use. Skyhook Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cuz its most likely tracking you from your wifi access point.
    Scary, isn't it. My TouchPad has not located me farther away than the next property over since I've had it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Scary, isn't it. My TouchPad has not located me farther away than the next property over since I've had it.
    Indeed....

If a private company can do this so easily and accurately....

I don't even want to begin to imagine what a government agency
    (a black one with secret budget) can do with such technology.
    They can probably determine that I just took my Touchpad
    to the loo? Or that I allowed my cat to play games on my
    Touchpad?
    untitled likes this.
    I'm pretty sure it's using Google's location information. When the Street View car drives around it also samples the visible WiFi networks and correlates them with the known GPS location.
    Last edited by cbf123; 09/05/2011 at 01:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbf123 View Post
    When the Street View car drives around it also samples the visible WiFi networks.
    Are you serious? That's practically spying.
    I really don't understand how it's spying, guys. If someone has the address to your house they can find where it is, how is that any different than finding the MAC of your router and geolocating it? :-/

If you're so worried someone is going to kill you because of it, don't broadcast your SSID.
    I live in apt complex, I am surprised how they are able to get my apt no as well with my wifi connection?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
    because your mac address of your router has been registered with google's location services. here's some info on Skyhook, the service they use. Skyhook Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skyhook??!!
    Whoaaa, that's hitting a little too close to home. You can hide if you want to, but the end is near people. You can count on it, lol.

Interesting thing. I once bought a router second-hand off ebay. Ever since then google location services place me halfway between my address and the address of the seller (100s km away). I'm surprised it's not smart enough to ignore devices that register as being so far apart.
    aha,since I don't broadcast SSID it can not locate me. I am in Cali, but it keeps placing me in the middle of the country
    Quote Originally Posted by zappcatt View Post
    aha,since I don't broadcast SSID it can not locate me. I am in Cali, but it keeps placing me in the middle of the country
    So disabling the broadcasting of your SSID will block your gps location? That's good to know. It's definitely a temporary fix until Skynet becomes self aware & figures it out, lol.
    Fairly recently I was having a talk with my grandmother, and she was going on and on about how the government was watching her using ONSTAR in her vehicle, and knew everywhere she went.

I calmly explained that the government absolutely did-not-care where she drove to and from on a daily basis. They aren't looking at Norwegian grandmothers yard sale'ing driving patterns.

So, yeah, your touchpad knows where you live and so does the government. Thank the IRS, DMV, google, skyhook, cell phone triangulation, internet providers, cameras popping up above every single intersection in town, GPS devices in our phones, rfid chips, etc etc etc etc. That's the world we live in. Thankfully, for most of us at least, NOBODY is watching.

Funny sidenote though - my touchpad had me pegged to my house immediately upon turning it on. I assumed it had pulled GPS data from my pre- when I paired it, but I suppose it's possible that it pulled the information from my wifi location. If it truly is picking up my location based on collected wifi data that is pretty amazing though, as I just moved here a few short months ago. That puts a google agent outside my door fairly recently.

Fun stuff .
    It's got nothing to do with google, and google was forced to stop collecting wifi information.
    Every computer or device that connects to the internet has a unique code so you can be tracked. And every wifi hotspot's location I believe is tracked by where it is on the telephone wire grid.
    There are bound to be some members here who's signature actually tells you your IP address and location. And tracking through a 3g/4g connection is just as easy through cell tower triangulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    It's got nothing to do with google, and google was forced to stop collecting wifi information.
    Every computer or device that connects to the internet has a unique code so you can be tracked. And every wifi hotspot's location I believe is tracked by where it is on the telephone wire grid.
    There are bound to be some members here who's signature actually tells you your IP address and location. And tracking through a 3g/4g connection is just as easy through cell tower triangulation.
    They were only forced to stop collecting data from Germany IIRC. And I think that was because they collected data that was being sent over open wifi networks also ("accidentally").

Most Android devices do exactly what streetview cars did in regard to reporting GPS location and router MAC address (when using maps or latitude?). The TP asks if you want to allow the same thing under Location settings/Background Data Collection.
    Most Android devices do exactly what streetview cars did in regard to reporting GPS location and router MAC address (when using maps or latitude?). The TP asks if you want to allow the same thing under Location settings/Background Data Collection.
    I didn't know android did that, I have noticed they ask your permission for location sharing just didn't realise they collected other info.
    Last edited by DemonHighwayman; 09/05/2011 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Quote didn't work properly
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    What's curious tho, is that I have a mountain home that is really out in the sticks (or in the hollers, as they say around here). Several dirt roads off any paved roads, much less real highways. I have a WiFi router, but its only on when I am there, which is, at most, every other weekend. The likelihood of a Google drive by is zero. Yet it puts my touchpad dead on. The only thing I can figure is that my pre2 with GPS has reported the exact coordinates even tho I have the background data collection turned off.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    ip address location files ?
    stored mac addresses with location data from using the gps ?

It is all creepy
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    What's curious tho, is that I have a mountain home that is really out in the sticks (or in the hollers, as they say around here). Several dirt roads off any paved roads, much less real highways. I have a WiFi router, but its only on when I am there, which is, at most, every other weekend. The likelihood of a Google drive by is zero. Yet it puts my touchpad dead on. The only thing I can figure is that my pre2 with GPS has reported the exact coordinates even tho I have the background data collection turned off.
    Maybe they got lost, they went down some pretty crazy tracks and cul-de-sacs in my area, easy to check if your road is in streetview.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast