Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I just installed Preware. When do I exit Developer mode? Do I have to turn it on every time I install something from Preware? Thanks.
    I would just leave it on...its not going to cause any issues I used dev mode enabled all the time on my touchpad and my pre2.
    You really don't need it after preware is installed unless you plan on devving with it, but like above, I leave it on all the time cause it doesn't seem to cause issues and if you do need to doctor, or decide to mess around with WOSQI, there's no worries about connecting.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    I would turn it off after getting preware installed. It leaves extra ports open and makes the device more susceptible to unauthorized access...although I'm not sure those ports are available on the wifi stack. Really though, there is no need to leave it on...especially since it is so easy to change now. No more reboots!
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    how do you turn off dev mode
    Same way you turn it on, enter any one of the codes and flip the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Same way you turn it on, enter any one of the codes and flip the switch.

And how do you do that again? It's been about a week or so, since I last used it, and lost one of the ways to access dev mode.
    write in `just type` upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart and that will give you the button, you must have applications on for just type, otherwise there is a preware app to un hide the button.
    Why exit? Touchpad share is so small, who in their right mind waste anytime trying to exploit it?

@scuba-steve what ports are left open?
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I would turn it off after getting preware installed. It leaves extra ports open and makes the device more susceptible to unauthorized access...although I'm not sure those ports are available on the wifi stack. Really though, there is no need to leave it on...especially since it is so easy to change now. No more reboots!
    Developer mode only opens ports to the USB connection.

If someone has physical USB access to your device, they can easily bypass any and all security of any kind on it within 30 seconds.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    If someone had USB access to your touchpad, it means they are in your house or workplace, and I would be more concerned about my belongings than my touchpad being security breached at that point
    dirtyfingers likes this.
    i left the dev mode on and when connect to PC as usb drive to download music files to it.. even when i safely remove or unmount the drive, it still give me a OUCH that hurts.

but exiting dev mode and connecting to PC as usb drive then unmount is fine now.

Just FYI
    I read somewhere that Dev mode enables additional services to run on the device, potentially wasting precious resources and battery. My Pixi seemed to run slower when it was in Dev mode, so I turned it off immediately after having installed Preware. There is no reason to leave it on so why not just turn it off and be done with it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    ...especially since it is so easy to change now. No more reboots!
    Pretty sure you still have to reboot, it just doesn't make you. Some folks had problems connecting webOSQI when enabling dev mode and not restarting.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I left on dev mode since I installed preware. Guess it went off when I restarted my tp
    restarts don't turn off dev mode
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    restarts don't turn off dev mode
    Oops you're right! Just checked!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Developer mode only opens ports to the USB connection.

If someone has physical USB access to your device, they can easily bypass any and all security of any kind on it within 30 seconds.

-- Rod
    Well, don't forget about the DevMode password. If someone's actually worried about security, that will protect your device from unauthorized access. And realistically, I've yet to see any malicious software that uses Novacom in the first place, and virtually no performance impact on my device.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 09/16/2011 at 07:02 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Don't think that anyone changes the password.. It's like the default jailbreak iPhone pass: alpine or something, haha
    It's a pandora's box! You turn it on and let the homebrew flow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast