1.    #1  
    It seems like every time I'm out and about and try the map app, it thinks I'm at home. I could be 200km away from home, and it still thinks I'm there. I use freeTether while I'm out. I've tried keeping the GPS on my phone turned on. I've gone into Location Services and made sure everything was set correctly. It doesn't seem to get a triangulation lock from the towers. Do I need to be motionless for a set period of time for this to work? I'm pretty sure I've seen it lock on before, on occasion, but for the most part, it doesn't work as I think it should work.

I don't expect miracles, with no GPS radio inside, but one would think if it's using tower triangularion technology, that it should give me a rough ballpark of where I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    It seems like every time I'm out and about and try the map app, it thinks I'm at home. I could be 200km away from home, and it still thinks I'm there. I use freeTether while I'm out. I've tried keeping the GPS on my phone turned on. I've gone into Location Services and made sure everything was set correctly. It doesn't seem to get a triangulation lock from the towers. Do I need to be motionless for a set period of time for this to work? I'm pretty sure I've seen it lock on before, on occasion, but for the most part, it doesn't work as I think it should work.

I don't expect miracles, with no GPS radio inside, but one would think if it's using tower triangularion technology, that it should give me a rough ballpark of where I am.
    I seem to have this issue with the Maps app. In my case it defaults to my old address that I use to live at...kicker is I didn't own the TP when I lived there! Its over 500 miles away from where I currently live. I have searched all over to see if my old address is saved anywhere. I have no idea how the TP even knew about that address when I clicked the auto locate button. No matter what I do the map defaults there. Even more strange is when I go to google maps and it defaults to the same old address! So my guess is that the TP is somehow referencing an account with my old address...the question is which and how?
  3.    #3  
    There's a way to get it to work properly with a GPS Receiver, in another thread, or if you have 2.x or greater, on a Pre phone, you can use PreGo (Preware) to send out a signal for the TouchPad to lock onto.

One of these days I might consider getting one, but it's not high on my priority list.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    There's a way to get it to work properly with a GPS Receiver, in another thread, or if you have 2.x or greater, on a Pre phone, you can use PreGo (Preware) to send out a signal for the TouchPad to lock onto.

One of these days I might consider getting one, but it's not high on my priority list.
    I'm more concerned how the TP located my old address and continues to use that as the default address. Any ideas on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by iPilot View Post
    I'm more concerned how the TP located my old address and continues to use that as the default address. Any ideas on that?
    Two thoughts come to mind - one, that you are set up with a static IP address to connect to the internet, and that followed you to your new home. The TouchPad doesn't really figure out your location, it is getting information from Google's map of IP addresses. When you connect to a wireless network, the location that is registered for that network is given to your TouchPad (or, more accurately, to the location services/Bing maps app) and it 'knows' where you are.

The other thought is that you have an online account that uses your old address that is somehow connected to location services. This is pure speculation, as I don't use Bing maps except for on my TouchPad, so I don't know if you need to sign in. Being a Microsoft product, I suspect that you've probably got a Windows Live sign in, and it may be getting your address from that.

Aside from those possibilities, the TouchPad shouldn't be finding any old addresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    Two thoughts come to mind - one, that you are set up with a static IP address to connect to the internet, and that followed you to your new home. The TouchPad doesn't really figure out your location, it is getting information from Google's map of IP addresses. When you connect to a wireless network, the location that is registered for that network is given to your TouchPad (or, more accurately, to the location services/Bing maps app) and it 'knows' where you are.

The other thought is that you have an online account that uses your old address that is somehow connected to location services. This is pure speculation, as I don't use Bing maps except for on my TouchPad, so I don't know if you need to sign in. Being a Microsoft product, I suspect that you've probably got a Windows Live sign in, and it may be getting your address from that.

Aside from those possibilities, the TouchPad shouldn't be finding any old addresses.
    Got it figured out. My Palm profile still had my old Pre which I no longer use (switched to Android - gasp!) I deleted the Pre from the profile leaving only my TP. That fixed the location problem. That Pre was purchased / activated when I lived at the old address...though I don't see any address associated to it, it must have been though.

Thanks.