Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    is there a way to wake up the Touchpad without pressing the home or power button?

Thanks!
    Like what? What would you want it to be? I can't really imagine a method for waking it that doesn't involve pushing a button.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    You can use Magic

(sorry )

There does not appear to be many options with the touchpad unfortunately. There is only the front and volume buttons. Shame there is no proximity sensor, cos they you could wave your hand over it to wake the touchpad up.

However, there is always the accelerometer? many other devices can wake up when moved so it shoul dnot be a hard patch to impliment.
    This would really only be ideal if your TouchPad was just going to live at home: something that uses the accelerometer to detect movement.
    Yeah, I really don't want it turning on in my briefcase while I'm driving to work. But perhaps it's a good option for someone who only uses it at home.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    MINKIN2 likes this.
    plug it in or place on Touchstone.

Saying abracadabra would be cool though, patch please
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Yeah, I really don't want it turning on in my briefcase while I'm driving to work. But perhaps it's a good option for someone who only uses it at home.
    Could have the sensitivity adjustable. Such that you'd have to give it a quick shake to wake it up. Though, I don't know processes like that would work when the device sleeps. I suppose it might just not be possible to do it.
    If you have a bluetooth keyboard connected, that can wake it up.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Could have the sensitivity adjustable. Such that you'd have to give it a quick shake to wake it up. Though, I don't know processes like that would work when the device sleeps. I suppose it might just not be possible to do it.
    I would rather choose a slightly different method and include an if/else command in the patch some thing along the lines of...

If lock button is pressed, then press button to UnLock.
    If screen falls into sleep mode after 5mins of in-activity, wake when motion is detected.

Of course that would be a a little more Codie

This would solve the 'briefcase' problem above as you can still lock the screen without it waking as you move. BUT if you were to leave your chair to nip out of the room and allow the screen to enter sleep mode by naturally then it will wake when you return and pick it up.

How's that for an idea?
    sledge007 likes this.
    I love how the playbook works, where you swipe from the bottom of the screen to the top, and it wakes it up. I've actually found it very useful in my dealings with it. It would be nice if the touchpad incorporated that somehow.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
    I would rather choose a slightly different method and include an if/else command in the patch some thing along the lines of...

If lock button is pressed, then press button to UnLock.
    If screen falls into sleep mode after 5mins of in-activity, wake when motion is detected.

Of course that would be a a little more Codie

This would solve the 'briefcase' problem above as you can still lock the screen without it waking as you move. BUT if you were to leave your chair to nip out of the room and allow the screen to enter sleep mode by naturally then it will wake when you return and pick it up.

How's that for an idea?
    Sounds awesome. You get started on it.

Typing this on my just delivered HP TouchPad keyboard. Pretty slick.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    You know what, I bet I could. I will have a looksie to see if I can find the file.

Also Typing on my new keyboard and touchstone that I picked up today.
    Another pointless request...
    "Humanity wasn't ready for WebOS"

Pre - uk day 1
    Pre + uk Replacement
    HP Touchpad 16 GB Day 1
    HP Pre 3 Vodafone
    You could try yelling at it real loud...
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePetikeis View Post
    Another pointless request...
    So, you don't think it'd be cool if it woke up when you picked it up? Or at least had that as an option?
    Not me personally, it would be a feature like HTC phones have, you turn over the phone to cancel a call. Everybody would be happy to have the feature...nobody would actually use it.
    "Humanity wasn't ready for WebOS"

Pre - uk day 1
    Pre + uk Replacement
    HP Touchpad 16 GB Day 1
    HP Pre 3 Vodafone
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    So, you don't think it'd be cool if it woke up when you picked it up? Or at least had that as an option?
    If it was an option that you could manage, yes.

If you use the Touchstone, that's built in.

Someone mentioned yelling at it, doesn't work. Don't try a cold glass of water either
    I could see a use for voice activated controls for many uses: reading recipes while cooking and your hands are covered in food, or while working on a car and using it for repair instruction, or if you are handicapped. I know a girl that was burned as a child and doesn't have fingers and has to get by with what is left of her thumbs so I can only imagine how hard it is to push small buttons.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Like what? What would you want it to be? I can't really imagine a method for waking it that doesn't involve pushing a button.
    what about double tapping the screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    what about double tapping the screen?
    But doesn't it have to be "awake" to register screen taps?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast