Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Forget the firesale prices; those are red herrings. Want to see efficient markets in action and see what the market will really bear for a TouchPad? Check out eBay.

Recently completed listings show that the 16gb TouchPad is averaging between $225-$275
    Recently completed listings show that the 32gb TouchPad is averaging between $275-$300

It goes without saying that both are selling very well. Granted still below cost, but these price ranges are still incredibly illuminating.

Q. What does it take to loose the iPad's grasp on the tablet market?
    A. About $250 off.
    You are right, if HP would have:

1. not tried to get premium dollars of a mid-range product
    2. been willing to spend some money to seed a user base
    3. not hit the panic button so quickly

This would have been a much different story. I suspect that people in HP offices are right now trying to figure out how to capitalize on their accidental finding. But by the time they do, Amazon or RIM will move aggressively do the same thing, and once again they will be "late to the party".
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    They should have did what Asus did with the Transformer. Sell it at a small loss and make profit from accessories. The Asus Transformers is one of the most successful tablets of 2011 because of how cheap they where.
    Quote Originally Posted by HorsexD View Post
    They should have did what Asus did with the Transformer. Sell it at a small loss and make profit from accessories. The Asus Transformers is one of the most successful tablets of 2011 because of how cheap they where.
    The Asus has definitely been a legitimate success (and is a great tablet, by the way), but I wouldn't say it took selling at a loss. At $399, with somewhere around $330 in costs (comparing to the iPad 2 and TouchPad), Asus is probably getting around a 20% gross margin. That's well under the industry average 55% or so gross margin, but still profitable. And yes, the keyboard dock is likely where they make up the difference, although at $149 it's still a good deal (the full-size battery must add considerably to the cost over the typical external keyboard).

These eBay numbers are definitely interesting, but even so they show that the TouchPad isn't selling for anything approaching a profitable price. I think HP was looking to match Apple's high margins, and when they saw they couldn't, they decided it wasn't worth being in the business at all. I don't think they wanted to merely add another low-margin product to their lineup.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    pat_the_cat likes this.
    I'm not sure it's so much how people view what the cost of the touchpad, rather what people are willing to pay for a tablet now defunct that was once bought for 99 and 149. The people buying them off of ebay know how much the sellers bought them for and I believe they are happy with paying double or less than the firesale prices. I think if the firesale prices were higher you would see them on ebay for a little more and people still buying them because they are so much lower than retail cost was.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikestorm View Post
    Forget the firesale prices; those are red herrings. Want to see efficient markets in action and see what the market will really bear for a TouchPad? Check out eBay.

Recently completed listings show that the 16gb TouchPad is averaging between $225-$275
    Recently completed listings show that the 32gb TouchPad is averaging between $275-$300

It goes without saying that both are selling very well. Granted still below cost, but these price ranges are still incredibly illuminating.

Q. What does it take to loose the iPad's grasp on the tablet market?
    A. About $250 off.
    that is almost exactly correct...one thing you didn't take into account is that the market price on ebay is also influenced by the facts that the TP is sold by HP at firesale prices and that HP has announced that it's temporarily resuming production of the TP. these are externalities and are often overlooked.

also, in your "Q.' did you mean "loosen" or "lose"?
    Another point of view is there may be this mentality out there now that "I have to have one!" because of/created by the fire sale. I've noticed now and in the past that ebay bidders are a little strange or just plain stupid consumers. On Amazon 32GB were as low as $252 at one point yet they were being bid higher than that on ebay. Months ago I noticed something, may have been a security app, was being purchased at higher prices from ebay than what the manufacturer was selling it for. When I brought the point up on Wilders a lot of posters felt it was just the ebay mentality of trying to win the item.
    untitled likes this.
    If HP was able to get a cheaper pricetag to produce the touchpad then yes it would have been possible for them to sellem hella cheaper. It seemed they paid alot more to make the touchpad than Apple pays to produce the iPad.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    its too late. It would be great if Hp did that back on July 1st.

Now its just too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
    Another point of view is there may be this mentality out there now that "I have to have one!" because of/created by the fire sale. I've noticed now and in the past that ebay bidders are a little strange or just plain stupid consumers. On Amazon 32GB were as low as $252 at one point yet they were being bid higher than that on ebay. Months ago I noticed something, may have been a security app, was being purchased at higher prices from ebay than what the manufacturer was selling it for. When I brought the point up on Wilders a lot of posters felt it was just the ebay mentality of trying to win the item.
    That would be the typical consumer. There's no real logic or research behind their decisions. When I had to go to Verizon to get my phone activated I saw it in work. A guy came in looking for a phone, not knowing which one. He ended buying the Droid Charge and a decent amount of accessories in the same amount of time that I had my phone activated. I found that amazing as I would never be able to just walk into a place, not know anything about any of the products, and just walk out with the most expensive one after talking to a rep for a few minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by HorsexD View Post
    Is there actual sales data for this... (not the number of units shipped to vendors (because it's been repeated over and over)? I've yet to see anything verifiable about end user data.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    also, in your "Q.' did you mean "loosen" or "lose"?
    loosen. I in inadvertently omitted the 'n' and auto-correct didn't catch as my typo happened to be a word.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
    The eBay mentality is fascinating. I'll watch several bidders duel a 16GB TouchPad up to $260, and an identical auction will be ignored and sell at $230 (and yes, I'm taking the shipping price into account).

I saw someone post a "Buy it Now" 16GB Touchpad for $225 with free shipping, and I jumped all over that. That was Wednesday. It arrived at my house today. If I ever get my SMB order for a 32GB filled, I might re-sell this one and at the very least come out even on it.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Yes, I think that if it had launched at $250 or so they might have had better fortunes. We saw that even a $400 price tag wasn't enough to spur rapid sales, but $300 and below might have done the trick.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    If they sold it for $250 prior to fire sale i'm sure they would've sold quite well, BUT HP would've also been losing money and not making any profit. Kind of silly business move.

They could've probably sold them at $250 for fire sale since it all hit the fan by then, but still not as good of a turn out at the $100 price point. Either way they're losing money regardless so I guess they just wanted it out there to get webOS in the hands of many to maybe give it some "leasing/resell" value.
    Like I said before, I would've paid $300 for the TP. It's still a solid device. Not perfect, but enough to justify it at $300.
    HP Touchpad 16GB
    because thats still a good deal for a dual core 1.2ghz tab.
    they screwed up big time with no expandable storage, hdmi, gps and full usb host.
    had they included these they could have easily sold or $399 considering the weak os and lack of apps. to be honest most pads aren't selling for more the $399 anyway.
    moneil7 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    The eBay mentality is fascinating. I'll watch several bidders duel a 16GB TouchPad up to $260, and an identical auction will be ignored and sell at $230 (and yes, I'm taking the shipping price into account).

I saw someone post a "Buy it Now" 16GB Touchpad for $225 with free shipping, and I jumped all over that. That was Wednesday. It arrived at my house today. If I ever get my SMB order for a 32GB filled, I might re-sell this one and at the very least come out even on it.
    Same here. When I was looking for my touchpad auction postings were past beyond $240. But when you filter with buy it now only, you can get them for as low as $220 with free shipping. Got mine for 235.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    because thats still a good deal for a dual core 1.2ghz tab.
    they screwed up big time with no expandable storage, hdmi, gps and full usb host.
    had they included these they could have easily sold or $399 considering the weak os and lack of apps. to be honest most pads aren't selling for more the $399 anyway.
    I think that a 3g or 4g one with those extensions might have justified $400 range.

I am pretty happy with my TP, but I would not have bought it if HP was selling for more than $220. Not that it is not justified but economy is going down the **** hole and it is not time to spend money on luxury items, at least for me.
    A lot of those buyers are probably developers trying to get touchpads to develope on for android or WebOS.

Of course, others are saying it's a decent deal for the hardware too so they want them too. If only it had usb ports, it wouldn't have failed as badly.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast