Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I agree with the posters here about the current market price for touchpads being reflected on ebay. I have bought one from amazon and another from ebay and i think the rush for touchpads on ebay is due to the fact that there are very few other retail outlets selling them. I think the suppliers on amazon have priced theirs a little higher than ebay...ebay is pretty good but, as i experienced, there is a mad rush to try and buy 32gb touchpads in the $ 260 price range.

For real madness, have a look at the 64gb touchpads...the pricing there is scary.
    Apple started with the MP3 players and Iphones. They really weren't all that expensive at first. Once they got a good user base (taken from Palm users like the treo and TX in my opinion) they started coming with better and more expensive phones, Itouches, accessories etc. Once the IPad came out it was just a cake walk for them. They came out with a Paper Tablet that said Ipad on it and it would have sold. I think HP needs to capitalize on stumbling upon success here and not give up the game. All they have to do is include a rear facing camera, SD slot, video out plug and Infrared and nothing would be able to touch it after that. The military will want it.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
  3. chi
    I've been monitoring avg selling prices for the 32gb since I have one last unopened box. Prices have been slowly ticking upwards. Supply is dwindling to about 700 items way down from 2,000 a couple weeks ago. 16gb are now in the 560's and even rarer. Very interesting how prices will be affected in 6-8 weeks when up to 200,000 more are added to circulation.

Also, whenever the Android duel boot is released that should help sustain prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Sounds like you bought it used, because no Samsung netbook has ever been $130 new. The cheapest I see at Best Buy for a name brand is a Gateway for $200.

That said, it costs more to make because everything has to crammed underneath a high-quality (netbook screens have crappy viewing angles) capacitive touch screen and still retain thinness. That sort of miniaturization and design does not currently come cheap. Maybe eventually, but not yet.
    No it was brand new sealed in the box

I understand about the smallness / thinness / miniaturisation etc but the iPhone is a lot smaller than the iPad and yet the iPad is more expensive

I think the main reason is that companies try and set the bar against Apple prices and go from there

If you look at laptops Apple fix their prices because they can and you can get the same hardware spec PC laptop for at least a third of the price that is of similar quality

iPad competitors are largely fixing their prices to match Apples which ultimately has been their downfall (Playbook, Touchpad, etc etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
    If you look at laptops Apple fix their prices because they can and you can get the same hardware spec PC laptop for at least a third of the price that is of similar quality

iPad competitors are largely fixing their prices to match Apples which ultimately has been their downfall (Playbook, Touchpad, etc etc)

I know that is a popular meme, but that's not exactly right. And until manufacturers understand that they will never generate Apple-like revenue or sales. (although as the TP sale shows, you can ALWAYS sell out by lowering your price - but we are talking about a sustainable model here)

When you put in the same quality of hardware, same quality of components, with the same "miniaturization" of parts, add very good customer support, you're going to find yourself right around the price of an Apple product, maybe a little less since the brand name won't be as valued.

If it was so easy to do it JUST by matching specs on paper, every company would be making the net revenue that Apple makes.
    No it was brand new sealed in the box
    Link? That is not the MSRP of any Samsung netbook, not even by a long-shot, not even on clearance, so you can't claim that as some sort of normal Samsung netbook price.

The TouchPad cost $304 to make, and the batch of 10.1" Honeycomb Android tablets cost more than that to make. It's not out of the question for tablet manufacturers to expect a profit. The problem lies in people viewing non-iOS products as inferior, and expecting them to be priced as such, which is just not possible if you're running a profitable business.
    I understand about the smallness / thinness / miniaturisation etc but the iPhone is a lot smaller than the iPad and yet the iPad is more expensive
    Nope. The unlocked iPhone 4 sells for $649/16GB and $749/32GB. The iPad 2 3G 16GB sells for $629. Ignore discounted contract pricing. The only reason you're getting an iPhone for $200 is because AT&T and Verizon are paying Apple so they can lock you into a 2-year contract costing $55/month minimum (or $1,320 over the life of the contract).
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    why are so many people buying 16gb Touchpads for $240?
    that's about the average price of all the ones sold on Ebay
    in the last 5 days.

what if HP sold it for $250?(prior to the firesale)
    yup that's what i was thinking too.. but probably they produced the touchpads for more than $240... i bought mine at $249 excl shipping.. was not willing to pay more.. one thing i dun understand is that some bids reach like $300!!! are the bidders stupid or what? and there are those paper touchpad drawing things also selling at like $10.. wth? some people really have too much money to waste... or are plain ********.

and one more thing, now that i have my touchpad, i can say it is not worth its original price!! that's sure... lacks a lot of features (hdmi, sd card, rear camera, usb host) that other tabs at the price have. Webos is nice but far from complete and lacks apps and toucpad's made of plastic which feel fragile... others at the same price are more solid and thinner

conclusion : hp messed with its pricing or production costs
    Last edited by yeahman45; 09/21/2011 at 05:01 AM.
    People are living in a fantasy land if they think HP is going to turn this around and start making more TouchPads instead of discontinuing. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikestorm View Post
    Forget the firesale prices; those are red herrings. Want to see efficient markets in action and see what the market will really bear for a TouchPad? Check out eBay.

Recently completed listings show that the 16gb TouchPad is averaging between $225-$275
    Recently completed listings show that the 32gb TouchPad is averaging between $275-$300

It goes without saying that both are selling very well. Granted still below cost, but these price ranges are still incredibly illuminating.

Q. What does it take to loose the iPad's grasp on the tablet market?
    A. About $250 off.
    i agree. they messed up big time by making the price of the touchpad the same as the ipad 2.. that was their downfall. they should have sold the tablets at or near cost, because lets face it, its an uphill battle going against the ipad. they could have built a pretty strong base for themselves if they sold it for 300-350 from the get go.
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
    i agree. they messed up big time by making the price of the touchpad the same as the ipad 2.. that was their downfall. they should have sold the tablets at or near cost, because lets face it, its an uphill battle going against the ipad. they could have built a pretty strong base for themselves if they sold it for 300-350 from the get go.
    They should have sold at cost plus 10% admin fee to get it out there and try to entice more developers to port apps to it. Then they would have been onto a winner. Who knows with the rumours of Leo being kicked out maybe things might change.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I know that is a popular meme, but that's not exactly right. And until manufacturers understand that they will never generate Apple-like revenue or sales. (although as the TP sale shows, you can ALWAYS sell out by lowering your price - but we are talking about a sustainable model here)

When you put in the same quality of hardware, same quality of components, with the same "miniaturization" of parts, add very good customer support, you're going to find yourself right around the price of an Apple product, maybe a little less since the brand name won't be as valued.

If it was so easy to do it JUST by matching specs on paper, every company would be making the net revenue that Apple makes.
    It's not just a meme, it's actually true. Every Apple system has a competing PC system that can closely match (some even offering slightly more) what the Apple system offers, at a lower price. That's both in quality specs and useful service.
    Quote Originally Posted by dept27 View Post
    They should have sold at cost plus 10% admin fee to get it out there and try to entice more developers to port apps to it. Then they would have been onto a winner. Who knows with the rumours of Leo being kicked out maybe things might change.

Honestly, at this point, if you want to challenge Android and iOS you have to come to the table with your developer ducks all in a row before you sell a single unit. Not after you start selling the product. They don't have to have all the developers on board, but they need to have a good showing of the larger players ahead of time. webOS/TouchPad had hardly any support out of the gate and was a big problem, no matter how nice they make the OS itself. ...if there's no software/poor software, it's a no-go.
    Honestly, at this point, if you want to challenge Android and iOS you have to come to the table with your developer ducks all in a row before you sell a single unit. Not after you start selling the product. They don't have to have all the developers on board, but they need to have a good showing of the larger players ahead of time. webOS/TouchPad had hardly any support out of the gate and was a big problem, no matter how nice they make the OS itself. ...if there's no software/poor software, it's a no-go.
    Agree. They definitely should have got the big players onboard before they released. Only way to compete.

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Remember HP wernt trying to recover as much of the money as possible, they wanted to drop the tablet stocks like a stone to increase the price of webOS and get out the hardware buisness.

With million + tablets in circulation hopefully webOS still has a future!
    Has an official number been released yet? I'm still skeptical that even 1 million were produced.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    to counter apple and it's ipad, the competitions must clearly invest in software! windows 8 looks pretty good and very promising... microsoft might be able to enter the tablet wars with this OS and with microsoft softwares (mainly ms office) on it, it can be a killer os for tablet
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123