Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Sorry if this is a repeat but I didn't see this in this forum anywhere. There is a new touchpad android dual boot video that came out either today or yesterday. One of the developer groups has got the touchpad dual booting with android 2.3.5 (ginger bread). Check it out: HP Touchpad dual-booting Android 2.3.5 and webos - YouTube
    Moeferd likes this.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    So much hope in Android for the life of this device. As nice as webOS is the lack of market and community in comparison makes it hard to see as a long term option without this port!
    I won't give on webos yet, but it would be nice to have the ability reboot and run android apps every once in a while when needed.
    Nice addition and thanks for the link. Sorli...
    I for one really hope that they get a dual boot working. If WebOS does go the way of the Dodo then at least there is another option to keep this tablet going
    I love webOS but this would be great for all the apps I am missing!
    I still think getting Android apps running within webOS is the best solution. I'm not impressed with Android personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post
    I still think getting Android apps running within webOS is the best solution. I'm not impressed with Android personally.
    ^ This

Thanks to stupid Leo I'll be grabbing a Droid Bionic next week instead of a pre 3, but I'd like to keep my TP on webOS if I can. A dalvik port to run Android apps in webos is my dream... unfortunately, it's not looking good at this point in time.
    BayAreaTreo likes this.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post
    Agreed, but you cant deny this is the next best thing. When you absolutely need something not in webOS, boot into Android. When done, boot back into webOS.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I really don't care for android at all.
    I think the webOS app selection is pretty decent.
    Its also growing faster than I thought it would.
    meechieervin likes this.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    + 1 more for not being impressed with andriod. The UI feels a little too plastic(y) IMO. Not sure why, I just could never put my finger on it?

Anyhoo, The only reason I would consider putting Android on TP would be for the HDtable games when they appear. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by sormerod View Post
    As nice as webOS is the lack of market and community in comparison makes it hard to see as a long term option without this port!
    Our community in webOS is small, yes, but more organized, more passionate, more responsive and helpful than any other. There's no "Team A vs. Team B" or races to get things done before others. It's good, wholesome, amazing people doing things for the sake of the community, not for glory.
    I had the nook color before the touchpad, and I never want to go back to android if I can help it. I occasionally turn to my nook for a couple of apps not available in webOS, but I'd much rather they be running inside a webOS card than have to dual boot to get to them. Still, the more they're able to progress in a dual boot, the more hope I have for a virtual android in a card, so this is good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Our community in webOS is small, yes, but more organized, more passionate, more responsive and helpful than any other. There's no "Team A vs. Team B" or races to get things done before others. It's good, wholesome, amazing people doing things for the sake of the community, not for glory.
    Tight-knit is a good description, I think. We didn't have much choice, to be honest. 4 Pre versions, 2 Pixi's, a Veer and now TouchPad. There isn't nearly the same amount of separation like over on Android Central. I joined that community to figure a few things out on my gf's Incredible, and usually had to wait at least a day or two, sometimes up to a week for answers.

I think the sheer numbers and extensive brands/models just make it too easy to get lost in the crowd over there.

Dual boot's an interesting option, but I've looked through Marketplace and there's a very small handful of apps that I would be interested in. With Splashtop supposedly on the way....if it's as good as they say it is, I think that will drastically reduce the amount of apps that I would want/need.

I'm pretty sure I'll still check it out, but for right now, it just doesn't seem to be that much of a priority for me.
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/03/2011 at 04:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sormerod View Post
    So much hope in Android for the life of this device. As nice as webOS is the lack of market and community in comparison makes it hard to see as a long term option without this port!
    webOS has no lack of community. Quantity != quality. On Android people who care about the OS are few in between. Most of my friends have Android and they couldn't care less. They just got whatever the guy in the shop told them was good and cheap, and then you usually go Android.

The amount of money donated to webOS Internals shows that the community is one of, if not THE best out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    The amount of money donated to webOS Internals shows that the community is one of, if not THE best out there.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    webOS has no lack of community. Quantity != quality. On Android people who care about the OS are few in between.
    But those people are generally too busy trying to convert the webOS infidels to the one true OS so you'll never actually see them post on an Android forum. You see more support seekers and givers there.

So why the webOS community is full of 'pffft, your OS can't even run *random android app* so it's A JOKE' posts by Android people who care about everybody knowing that they have something they consider superior and you don't so nyah-nyah-nyah you've got cooties, the Android community proper is full of 'why can't my Desire S run *random android app*? my friend's Galaxy S runs it fine' posts by Android people who care about doing stuff with their phones.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 09/03/2011 at 06:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    I for one really hope that they get a dual boot working. If WebOS does go the way of the Dodo then at least there is another option to keep this tablet going
    if its a proper useable option then it can ofc help in destroying webOS as well, final nail in the coffin so to speak.
    I'd like to see a decent writing program and a decent keyboard layout changer or editor for the touchpad.

QuickOffice is still pretty useless to me. For example, No tab? That's just Weird. It could be made better I suppose in the future. Will see how it ends up. Even if it DOES get better, I can't use it anyway. I can't and won't type on Qwerty anymore. I need Dvorak, which is currently lacking on the touchpad(I couldn't make much out of the keyboard layout change script thing.) Dvorak layout saved my wrists.

I like Jota Text Editor on android better currently. I modified the qwerty hardware keyboard layout on my android tablet so that the hard keyboard types in dvorak. Very handy for me to write on my android tablet now when away from my computer. The lack of capabilities for it is actually a benefit as I can concentrate more.

So yeah, I'd like to dual boot to android for the keyboard and the better writing software. Of course, I'd still have to buy a bluetooth keyboard or force some sort of keyboard use monster like that guy did with the USB Y splitter post. Such a bad design HP, BAD *hits with a q-tip*
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    But those people are generally too busy trying to convert the webOS infidels to the one true OS so you'll never actually see them post on an Android forum. You see more support seekers and givers there.

So why the webOS community is full of 'pffft, your OS can't even run *random android app* so it's A JOKE' posts by Android people who care about everybody knowing that they have something they consider superior and you don't so nyah-nyah-nyah you've got cooties, the Android community proper is full of 'why can't my Desire S run *random android app*? my friend's Galaxy S runs it fine' posts by Android people who care about doing stuff with their phones.
    wat
    vanzanthp likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast