Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Interesting article from ZDNet:
    Has HP done a "New Coke" with WebOS and tablets? | ZDNet

Suddenly the HP tablets are everywhere; an instant user base has sprung up, dwarfing the base of any other tablet than the iPad. HP seems to be wavering on the hard line that the tablet business was done with.

Yet with this supposed fire sale, HP has done what no other non-Apple tab let vendor has been able to accomplish; jump start the sales and market for a new tablet device and operating system.
    Unfortunately the difference between 'New Coke' and HP is that Coca-Cola never said they were stopping production.
    The problem is HP never had an Coca Cola Classic. There's not old table that people used to love and still desire. Well there is. Unfortunately for HP Apple sell it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I'll have to go read that, I think I posted elsewhere in the forums here that HP has either made a huge mistake or are pulling off the greatest marketing scheme since New Coke.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    For those that haven't read the article, it's not about having an "old Coke" to go back to, it's about making what the top brass thought was a great decision at the time, but it wasn't.. and basically reversing that decision is what put Coke back on the top.

Like the author says, HP has managed to gain a toe-hold in the market that no other tablet manufacturer has and if the cards are played right, they could reverse their initial decision and really capitalize on the overall situation that's been created.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Hi all,

My of my dear friends who is a very recent webOS convert and loves it...said the same thing last week.....you never know how this weird thing will work out!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The only thing that resembles the coke situation is --- bring back the gesture area.

Coke changed their formulation because Pepsi kept beating them in the tasting test. But they didn't know that the methodology of the tasting test is flawed. Pepsi is 4% sweeter than Coka and when you taste test it in very small amount --- most people would prefer the sweeter Pepsi. But drinking a whole glass of it --- the same people prefer the less sweeter Coke.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnee View Post
    For those that haven't read the article, it's not about having an "old Coke" to go back to, it's about making what the top brass thought was a great decision at the time, but it wasn't.. and basically reversing that decision is what put Coke back on the top.

Like the author says, HP has managed to gain a toe-hold in the market that no other tablet manufacturer has and if the cards are played right, they could reverse their initial decision and really capitalize on the overall situation that's been created.
    The article failed to grasp the full story of "New Coke," or how it was the biggest shot in the arm that Coke has had in the last 50 years. It doesn't mention how Coca-Cola used "New Coke" to almost bury Pepsi by simply taking the sugar out and calling it "Diet Coke" which has now passed Pepsi as the #2 cola in the world.
    the problem with that is zdnet
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

they did a "new coke" but are too stupid to realize it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnee View Post
    they flat out bring up old coke saying "But here’s the kicker; the surrounding publicity of both the screwup and the re-release of Coca-Cola got people talking about Coca-Cola, raised public awareness, and drove up sales numbers significantly. Coca-Cola came back to a premier position in the minds of consumers, and, more than 30 years later, are still there."

they ask. a question. did they do a new Coke. Then offers the above scenario of new coke publicity raising awareness and drove sales of an old product and returned the company to a premier spot. The reversal was a reversal back to an old successful product with a huge following and loyalty. That's not the case with HP and tablets.

HP has no old tablet that can go to the premier spot. There is no public longing for an old hp tablet. HP didn't change an old loved product fueling interest in that old product. HP just released a product that failed and had a liquidation. New interest hasn't flowed to some old product that the public was outraged at losing. This is wishful thinking but the two scenarios are not the same. No they didn't do a new coke.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/02/2011 at 04:17 PM.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    The decision will never be reversed while Leo is in charge and he's not going anywhere in a timeframe that will help WebOS. His whole strategic direction is to get out of consumer products and to reverse now would be seen as weakness. It's irrelevant how many firesale touchpad are sold because he doesn't care to start with and the bit of the business that does care has no control over its own until it is spun-off.
    the comparison isn't about an 'old' product so much as it is about generating more demand for a product by killing it. If they decided to stay in the webos hardware business AND it generated success - it would be a good analogy.

I think they won't change their minds, and if they did it would ultimately fail.
    I wasn't saying it was about an old product. I was just saying that the analogy was bad because the product market position of the product they created demand for and the why they created demand are different.

Coca Cola didn't generate demand for "New Coke" by killing "New Coke." Coca Cola generated demand for "Coke Classic" by killing "New Coke." The article may be about generating demand for a product by killing it but the flawed reasoning is that the circumstances are analogous. The problem with the article is, yes Coca Cola did that. Hp's situation is not analogous for various reason not the least of which is HP has created no demand for an old successful product. Not to mention it's pure speculation to think there is any more demand for a full priced touchpad now then there was before. That's just wishful thinking. If they could sell enough at full price they'd have done it. If they put the touchpad back on shelves now at full price it sits there. Again. Coca cola created demand for an old established product. HP created demand for a heavily discounted discontinued unestablished product.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's irrelevant how many firesale touchpad are sold because he doesn't care to start with and the bit of the business that does care has no control over its own until it is spun-off.
    Also there is the reality that the phone tablet side business was not profitable for them they estimated the only chance of making it profitable was to sink more money into at a massive loss for at least another year.
    Except at least one other tablet, the Asus Transformer, has sold very well at a profitable price point. I'd say there are AT LEAST as many Transformers out there as there are TouchPads.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    they flat out bring up old coke saying "But here’s the kicker; the surrounding publicity of both the screwup and the re-release of Coca-Cola got people talking about Coca-Cola, raised public awareness, and drove up sales numbers significantly. Coca-Cola came back to a premier position in the minds of consumers, and, more than 30 years later, are still there."

they ask. a question. did they do a new Coke. Then offers the above scenario of new coke publicity raising awareness and drove sales of an old product and returned the company to a premier spot. The reversal was a reversal back to an old successful product with a huge following and loyalty. That's not the case with HP and tablets.

HP has no old tablet that can go to the premier spot. There is no public longing for an old hp tablet. HP didn't change an old loved product fueling interest in that old product. HP just released a product that failed and had a liquidation. New interest hasn't flowed to some old product that the public was outraged at losing. This is wishful thinking but the two scenarios are not the same. No they didn't do a new coke.
    You somehow got the point, then missed it at the same time. By killing the Touchpad and selling it at such a low price, HP made the Touchpad popular. They got people talking about it who would have never talked about it before. They sold more Touchpads in four days than all of their competitors, including Apple, in the same time frame. Their blunder and the publicity it caused is the "New Coke" analogy, not whether or not they had an "Old Coke" to go back to.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The decision will never be reversed while Leo is in charge and he's not going anywhere in a timeframe that will help WebOS. His whole strategic direction is to get out of consumer products and to reverse now would be seen as weakness. It's irrelevant how many firesale touchpad are sold because he doesn't care to start with and the bit of the business that does care has no control over its own until it is spun-off.
    First time I actually wholeheartedly agree with you. Guess there is a first time for everything. I think the board on HP hired Leo to get out of the hardware business. I think Leo may walk away from this regardless of how successful it has been.

The only saving grace is that Leo and the board really want to license webOS and make money off the licensing and services only. No one wants to license it because of low developer support. The only way to grow developer support is to grow the user base. The only way to grow the user base is to put more devices in users hands. So they are in a catch 22 right now. The only way out is to produce more hardware themselves and darn near give it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Coca Cola didn't generate demand for "New Coke" by killing "New Coke." Coca Cola generated demand for "Coke Classic" by killing "New Coke."

Coca Cola generated demand for Coke Classic by killing it when they introduced New Coke and stopped production of Classic... The same as HP generating demand for the TP by killing it and stopping production.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    dwarfing the base of any other tablet than the iPad
    I'd like to see the numbers behind this. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $no$ $numbers$ $have$ $been$ $given$ $as$ $to$ $how$ $many$ $TouchPads$ $have$ $sold$, $and$ $it$ $looks$ $like$ $the$ $next$ $batch$ $is$ $to$ $be$ $only$ $around$ $100$,$000$ - $200$,$000$.

Did more than a million sell with the fire sale? Was it enough to put in the #2 spot, as a platform, and not as a device? I find it difficult to believe that webOS is now the #2 market leader in tablets.

It may very well be the #2 DEVICE behind the iPad, but I'd say it falls as a #3 behind iOS and Android as a platform.

I could be wrong though. Would definitely like to see some hard numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'd like to see the numbers behind this. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $no$ $numbers$ $have$ $been$ $given$ $as$ $to$ $how$ $many$ $TouchPads$ $have$ $sold$, $and$ $it$ $looks$ $like$ $the$ $next$ $batch$ $is$ $to$ $be$ $only$ $around$ $100$,$000$ - $200$,$000$.

Did more than a million sell with the fire sale? Was it enough to put in the #2 spot, as a platform, and not as a device? I find it difficult to believe that webOS is now the #2 market leader in tablets.

It may very well be the #2 DEVICE behind the iPad, but I'd say it falls as a #3 behind iOS and Android as a platform.

I could be wrong though. Would definitely like to see some hard numbers.

The only numbers we know for semi-sure are that Best Buy sold about 225,000 of them in one day. We know this because of the news that Best Buy had initially ordered 250,000 (which I thought was high), only sold 25,000 and then threatening to send the remaining stock (the 225,000) back to HP because of poor sales. When the fire sale was proving successful for other retailers (and with HP wringing their hand) Best Buy decided to sell all of their remaining stock. Nobody was prepared for that stock to sell out in less than 24 hours, but it did. So we know that Best Buy sold 225,000 in less than 24 hours alone.

There are reports, one of which this thread was started from, saying that HP moved close to a million units during the fire sale, which would be phenomenal for any tablet, to include both iPads combined, based on how quickly everyone was out of stock (less than 4 days).

There are reports that there is enough of a backlog in spare parts to produce over 100,000 more units.

There are also reports that Touchpad ad sales are within 1 percentage point of all Android tablet ad sales combined. So either Touchpad users are quick to click on adds or the number of Touchpads sold are within 1 percentage point of all of the Android tablets sold (to include the el cheapo ones). That would also be a phenomenal feat given the fact that Android tablets have been selling for close to a year now and the Touchpad is less than two months old. There is a survey out that says that the iPad has over 94% mindshare and that the Touchpad has over 10% mindshare. It is distant second to the iPad but greater than all of the Android tablets mindshare combined. This survey would support the ad story.

Edit: Bottom line is nobody but HP knows for sure how many Touchpads are out there. However, that number is definitely large enough to make everyone notice. WebOS sites are seeing a ton of new users. Developers are seeing apps sales go up 3-4 times. Heck, every time someone mentions a Touchpad fire sale that may be going on at a particular site, that site crashes due to high traffic.
    Last edited by k4ever; 09/03/2011 at 01:49 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast