Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hasibanin
  1.    #1  
    The Touchpad has a quite powerful GPU Adreno 220, much better than Tegra2:

The Adreno GPU: An AMD Bloodline : HP TouchPad Review: A Tablet For Productivity?

However, there aren't many graphic-intensive games on webos currently. is it due to the relative small number of webos game developers or the webos does not fully support GPU hardware acceleration?
    Another question is that if android is successfully ported on the Touchpad, will the game performance be better than that on most current android tablets with Tegra2 (Asus transformer, for example), because Touchpad houses a better GPU?

Thanks,
    DemonHighwayman and sorli like this.
    It will really depend on the port, must like our PC's depend on drivers, so does Android. I am envisioning that unless HP helps (open source the drivers) that the Android ports are going to be slow/poor for a very long time until more android devices with this chipset (if they ever make anymore) are dumped and the drivers in them figured out.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Android Gingerbread does not support GPU acceleration. How come the CM7 team has worked out the graphics acceleration illustrated in their latest update?

Thanks,
    Well if it helps there are already other android devices with this GPU (HTC sensation and EVO 3D)
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpierson View Post
    It will really depend on the port, must like our PC's depend on drivers, so does Android. I am envisioning that unless HP helps (open source the drivers) that the Android ports are going to be slow/poor for a very long time until more android devices with this chipset (if they ever make anymore) are dumped and the drivers in them figured out.
    I thought I'd read somewhere that the WebOS drivers for the 220 were relatively poor and immature, and that this made it difficult to utilise fully. However, they already have relatively mature (in comparison) Android drivers from other devices, and that this meant it was likely to be easier to get performance out of it on that platform?
    Correct me is I am wrong but I thought WebOS doesn't use the chip? Games can though?
    Quote Originally Posted by djphatjive View Post
    Correct me is I am wrong but I thought WebOS doesn't use the chip? Games can though?
    It's used for a few things, like stacks. Games can, of course, via openGL ES if I remember correctly

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by hasibanin View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Android Gingerbread does not support GPU acceleration. How come the CM7 team has worked out the graphics acceleration illustrated in their latest update?

Thanks,
    Just because parts of the os GUI is not accelerated, does not mean that anything else cannot use it. When they say that the graphics acceleration is working, it means just that; any system that wants to use the gpu can, because the hardware is properly supported by the OS.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    There are plenty enough devices that use this GPU out already that have source released for Android. There is no reason it should not perform amazingly using Android.

Gingerbread doesn't support hardware acceleration in the OS. Video and games are hardware accelerated, but scrolling menus in the OS and pinch to zoom I think are not.
    It's true: no hardware acceleration of UI, browser page layout/CSS3, gestures, glyph rendering, of streaming and static video in CM7 for NookColor. The suspected culprit is broken NEON support in Gingerbread and faulty Open Gl ES support of SGX530 (NC's GPU). I yet to see how good the Adreno 220 hardware support with Renderscript of Android 3.2 would turn out on Huawei MediaPad (which has a similar hardware to HP TP).
    What may happen IMHO is a much easier port of webOS 3.0.2 on Huawei MediaPad would turn out more responsive and faster than its "native" Android 3.2. For me, more practical approach in bringing Android to HP TP would be porting to webOS a Dalvik of Android 2.2.

Some detailed specs of APQ8060 and a spectacular tech demo of its Adreno 220 GPU can be found in my blog.
    link to your blog please?
    I really wish somoene would throw down the cash to port Unreal to Touchpad .. I'd be happy to do it, I've worked with the system, but I'm not personally a licensee to it, so unless someone has the green, it's not happening.