Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes
    Passed on a 32 gig TP for $250 today. It actually physically hurt me to pass. But I decided the state of WebOS will be very different in late Oct for better or for worse. I have a Gtab that I have a custom ROM running on that does everything I need it to...but it is NOT WebOS (functional, but no where near as elegant). I'm hoping that by the end of Oct the "I need one of those even though I don't know what it is" phase has passed, and that the overall market price on Ebay etc has fallen. In fact, hoping I can actually buy one from HP straight up.....but I still wanted to buy one tonight....so badly....

What does everyone think an extra 200,000 on the market is going to do? Are they going to be snatched up in two days again? Will the furor have died down a bit by then?

Macros
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    You want to know what my biggest beefs with the browser are? One, no background downloading. Every single other OS does this. Open a new tab in the background and it loads while you are on the current tab. Not with WebOS it doesn't. Do this for me:

Open any webpage. Longpress on a link and select "open in new card". When it zooms out showing you now 2 browser cards, tap on the original. Wait, well idk, 3-4 weeks and then tap the "home" button and open up the newly created card. Watch as it starts loading the page and rendering it. That is inexcusable. Makes browsing the web annoying and tedious. .
    I can tell you first hand with experience by just having done so that this must be either a bad connection issue you're having with wifi or something's up with your unit.

**I'm using the Advanced Browser app and a Trendnet Wireless N Router WPA2/AES connection. Touchpad is patched with preware and overclocked with F4 Kernel to 1.7GHZ.
    Cleared cache, cookies, etc.***

I opened up CNN's website, opened Yahoo's Website on new tab, opened Miami Herald on new tab..all this right after each other. Went back to CNN tab it loaded in less than 3 seconds, jumped to Yahoo Tab it loaded in about 3 seconds, went over to Miami Herald tab it loaded in 4 seconds.

Went back to CNN tab clicked on different link (section of site), went to Yahoo page clicked on different section link, same with Miami Herald. Did exact same thing back to CNN site and through other tabs and all of them loaded in less than 4 seconds. If that's slow, then you just need patience man.

I'm by all means no webOS fan boy, I have iPhone 4 and iPad never even cared or thought about webOS til I got this touchpad on firesale, but it works and I think it's pretty fast. Sure there are things here and there that you wish could be better, but I can't talk bad about this thing at all. So far i'm very pleased with browsing speeds.
    bluenote likes this.
    Well, it seems most threads with some sort of critique devolve into a conversation that has nothing to do with the OP.

It's really a moot point arguing about what is superior to what until HP clarifies their position about the future of webOS. I emailed an app dev asking about a webOS port of a popular pinball game. Their response is probably the position most will take until someone comes out and says "yes, there will be more hardware."

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, I don't see a port to WebOS for the time being. While there has been a lot of TouchPad sold recently, the fact that HP killed the platform means it will not grow after this initial burst of sales, so the long term prospect are not that great for us.

Cheers,
    Alain-Daniel
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Of course you will ignore that 300k of those are on ebay and craigslist. And you will ignore that people like me bought 7 of them (only one in hand ATM) so that I can put Android on each and every one and give them to family and friends as gifts.

Also, you are deluded if you think selling 1 million units makes WebOS the #2 tablet in the US. Android currently holds somewhere between 20-30% marketshare depending on which analysts numbers you go by.

Android tablets grab 30 percent of the market, but iPad still doubles that | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Congratulations, you just barely edged out WINDOWS 7 Tablets while taking a 66% loss on each unit sold. Even HP isn't that stupid of a company to count this as a win, and they destroyed themselves in under a year. LOL.
    The same bloggers who had nothing but bad things to say about the TouchPad are touting the 800,000-900,000 sales numbers. It would make some sense if BestBuy sold 250,000 alone. A survey taken on tablet mindshare puts the TouchPad ahead of Android in mind share. A story about ad share states that TouchPad users clicking on ads in their tablet are within 1 percent of all Android tablet user's ad habits combined. If you believe one of the Apple fans in this thread Galaxy Tab sales are only at 20,000 sold (seems kind of low to me) and almost all the tech sites I read state that Android tablet sales are dismal.

I own an Android tablet, btw. I hate the browsers on Android because none of them, I repeat none of them are stable. I've used the default, Firefox Mobile, Dolphin, and Opera. All of them crash on me multiple times a day. Firefox doesn't even have an excuse because it doesn't even use Flash. The UI is a mess. I have at least 3 home screen replacements on my tablet and they are all killed by the OS when I run something memory intensive. I had to void my warranty to root it and hack it just to keep the OS from killing them. I can't buy high end 3d games because my tablet is not supported even though it has a good GPU. Scrolling on the tablet is terrible, just terrible. Netflix crashes all the time. I had to hack it to get that to work also. When I search the market for an app, I get about 20 widgets, books, and everything else but the app I was looking for. My daughter is using it now and tells me I need to be patient with it. So please, please, please Android folks don't bug me! I am a Android user and I know about Android. I've been using it since Google first released the code. I put it on my AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN II) before most of you even knew what it was. Android is a mess right now because there are too many manufactures going their own way with it and Google would much rather buy Motorola than fix it!
    Bo and ahbroody like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Well, it seems most threads with some sort of critique devolve into a conversation that has nothing to do with the OP.

It's really a moot point arguing about what is superior to what until HP clarifies their position about the future of webOS. I emailed an app dev asking about a webOS port of a popular pinball game. Their response is probably the position most will take until someone comes out and says "yes, there will be more hardware."
    That is sad but is to be expected. WebOS is on life support until HP announces a new hardware partner. Some developers are getting into the game and some are not. I just wish the developer of Pulse will give us a definite yes or no answer also.
    2 days? Try 3-4 hours max. Also, a ton of that 200,000 is most likely going to still pending orders at various retailers. I have a pending order for 3 at a retailer, along with almost 9k other people. The instant they hit HP I will be attempting to order as many as I can. Depends on how they implement the 1 per person thing. If its by account then I am fine, by address then I will be limited. There will be thousands of people doing the same, check slickdeals to see.
    Don't know if they will go as fast as you think because of the limit but I think they will be sold out by the end of the first week.
    I apologize for my early rant on Android. I like it better than iOS because of its openness (and because it is Linux, just like webOS!). Google needs to set some rules and enforce them. Android can survive on cheap subsidized phones but nobody wants to go through that mess on a $400-600 device. Half of the tablets on the market don't even use 3.x and it is extremely hard to find tablet optimized apps. They need to grow up quickly.

Android hardware makers can't dump a bunch of high quality tablets on the market for cheap because they make their money off the hardware and the current cheap ones are just so poorly made.
    TheSpike likes this.
  8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    That is sad but is to be expected. WebOS is on life support until HP announces a new hardware partner. Some developers are getting into the game and some are not. I just wish the developer of Pulse will give us a definite yes or no answer also.
    read on Twitter if I understood correctly that HP is backed up several weeks in approving apps. Still they need to more clearly announce psg as partner along with anyone else by the time those new batch of tablets are sold out.
    Last edited by bluenote; 09/04/2011 at 11:08 PM.
    pretty sure with ICS will come a much more refined product. They pretty much have the core software down... now its time to make it look pretty. Kind of the opposite of webos lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    pretty sure with ICS will come a much more refined product. They pretty much have the core software down... now its time to make it look pretty. Kind of the opposite of webos lol.
    I sure hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The same bloggers who had nothing but bad things to say about the TouchPad are touting the 800,000-900,000 sales numbers. It would make some sense if BestBuy sold 250,000 alone. A survey taken on tablet mindshare puts the TouchPad ahead of Android in mind share. A story about ad share states that TouchPad users clicking on ads in their tablet are within 1 percent of all Android tablet user's ad habits combined. If you believe one of the Apple fans in this thread Galaxy Tab sales are only at 20,000 sold (seems kind of low to me) and almost all the tech sites I read state that Android tablet sales are dismal.

I own an Android tablet, btw. I hate the browsers on Android because none of them, I repeat none of them are stable. I've used the default, Firefox Mobile, Dolphin, and Opera. All of them crash on me multiple times a day. Firefox doesn't even have an excuse because it doesn't even use Flash. The UI is a mess. I have at least 3 home screen replacements on my tablet and they are all killed by the OS when I run something memory intensive. I had to void my warranty to root it and hack it just to keep the OS from killing them. I can't buy high end 3d games because my tablet is not supported even though it has a good GPU. Scrolling on the tablet is terrible, just terrible. Netflix crashes all the time. I had to hack it to get that to work also. When I search the market for an app, I get about 20 widgets, books, and everything else but the app I was looking for. My daughter is using it now and tells me I need to be patient with it. So please, please, please Android folks don't bug me! I am a Android user and I know about Android. I've been using it since Google first released the code. I put it on my AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN II) before most of you even knew what it was. Android is a mess right now because there are too many manufactures going their own way with it and Google would much rather buy Motorola than fix it!

What a crock, bought 7, 1 in hand, to put Android on them? There is no stable public release for this last i checked :-P Great gift for family
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    read on Twitter if I understood correctly that HP is backed up several weeks in approving apps. Still they need to more clearly announce psg as partner along with anyone else by the time those new batch of tablets are sold out.
    Agreed. I think the PSG will be an obvious partner. Samsung may still be on board. They are doing everything they can to avoid the licensing question, ie "We are not going to buy the PSG" or "We are not going to buy webOS" but never "We will not license webOS". HP was foolish to kill the hardware without having a partner with a signed contract. Threw the development community into a void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    What a crock, bought 7, 1 in hand, to put Android on them? There is no stable public release for this last i checked :-P Great gift for family
    I don't understand your post. If you plan on putting Android on it I would wait until webOS is officially dead. You are in for a heap of customization trouble until then but it would be worth it because of the cheap hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macros746 View Post
    Passed on a 32 gig TP for $250 today. It actually physically hurt me to pass. But I decided the state of WebOS will be very different in late Oct for better or for worse. I have a Gtab that I have a custom ROM running on that does everything I need it to...but it is NOT WebOS (functional, but no where near as elegant). I'm hoping that by the end of Oct the "I need one of those even though I don't know what it is" phase has passed, and that the overall market price on Ebay etc has fallen. In fact, hoping I can actually buy one from HP straight up.....but I still wanted to buy one tonight....so badly....

What does everyone think an extra 200,000 on the market is going to do? Are they going to be snatched up in two days again? Will the furor have died down a bit by then?

Macros

They'll get snatched up. Scarcity and buzz bring out the curious, fence-sitters and unfortunately the speculators who are out to make a quick buck from the first two.
  15.    #155  
    this guy who used to work with Shane at HP thinks putting webOS software in strategy arm could lead to innovation, he says a lot of smart people work there and its the glue maker behind all the different technologies at HP. If so, sounds like they still want to spread webOS thru the ecosystem but were challenged in mobile by the initial low adoption before firewall. Now that touchpad has penetrated, could be a place where psg can go next, we will have to see also if they get a boost by putting webOS on pcs as they say is still their intent.

HP sends webOS to incubate in OS&T
    ilovedessert and Rnp like this.
  16. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    You want to know what my biggest beefs with the browser are? One, no background downloading. Every single other OS does this. Open a new tab in the background and it loads while you are on the current tab. Not with WebOS it doesn't. Do this for me:

Open any webpage. Longpress on a link and select "open in new card". When it zooms out showing you now 2 browser cards, tap on the original. Wait, well idk, 3-4 weeks and then tap the "home" button and open up the newly created card. Watch as it starts loading the page and rendering it. That is inexcusable. Makes browsing the web annoying and tedious.

Tabbed browsing on Android is FANTASTIC. IDK what you are talking about. Of course the fact that you have over a dozen VERY good browsers to choose from is helpful as well. Download Miren, its pretty awesome and blows away any other browser I have used. Opera Mobile is by far the best for smoothness and flash on Android. Also, editing text depends completely on which version of Android you are running, as they have updated and improved upon it.

And believe me, I am by no means going in depth with my criticisms of WebOS. I have had this thing for a week and it has reminded me of WM6.5 more and more each day with the bugs and limitations. I actually said out loud "No *&$#ing way" when the Youtube icon launched the browser, LOL. And seriously, what is with the sound just stopping working? I am by far not the only one, go check XDA. The fact that I have to toggle the sound through a complicated Xecutah/Xterm command line to get it to function properly is ridiculous.
    Android is more like Winmo than any OS out there in regards to having to be rebooted quite often and needing to hack it to make it more functional. I loved Winmo for what it was, even PalmOS was cool for what it was and I still have both available whenever my WebOS phone goes caput (don't think i spelled that right...anywho). Yes both were a little buggy (I only mean the need to have to reboot every once in a while, as you still have to do with all of the smartphones nowadays), but the pure PDA portions of the O/S's still did more than anything that's available now, and I mean by default. I'm not talking about the need to add apps to it to make it functional or to be able to do just the basic things those old O/S's were capable of doing. No O/S has the built in privacy and basic PDA Functions of PalmOS and so far the only O/S that is even remotely close to the hackability of Winmo is WebOS....Meaning you don't have to root either O/S to make system changes to the UI.

The only thing I actually like about Android is the fact that you have free Navigation built in the software and it's live tiles and widgets, but just like IOS, it looks just like the old PalmOS and Winmo in regards to just being a homescreen with Icons. I've done so much hacking on Winmo I don't feel like I want to do that on a new O/S that's supposed to be superior, but the occasional patch, which is all you'll need for WebOS is easy as pie.

To get back on point to reply to your post about the WebOS browser, that's the stock browser and seems to be the only one you've tried. Compare that to Androids stock browser only, not all of those other browsers you've mentioned. I do agree with the problem you mentioned about having to wait until the new webpage card loads before you can go back to the original card to start viewing it again without it being blurry, but it's not that much of a problem if you believe that's the way they intended for it to work. Open up your new webpage card, let it load, read what it has to say, minimize it then go back to your original webpage. if you do it like that you'd never know the original card was unreadable, but I can see how that can be unacceptable since the main push about WebOS is how it can multitask.

What's the big deal of a tabbed browsing when you can open a new webpage in a new card and still group only those cards together? I mean really, I don't know but I see a lot of comments about that and it just puzzles me, that's one of the differences in the O/S, why make it like what you see in Android. WebOS does have another option and that's "Advance Browser" which does tabbed browsing, if you want to compare something to none standard Android browsers compare that instead of the WebOS stock browser then post your comparisons.
    k4ever and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
  17. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, I don't see a port to WebOS for the time being. While there has been a lot of TouchPad sold recently, the fact that HP killed the platform means it will not grow after this initial burst of sales, so the long term prospect are not that great for us.

Cheers,
    Alain-Daniel
    That's the craziest thing I think a developer can say, if there are millions of Ipads out there with hundreds of thousands of apps, and thousands of Android tablets out there with a small amount of tablet optimized apps, and now hundreds of thousands of WebOS tablets out there with hundreds of optimized apps why in the world would you not attempt to make some more money. if WebOS has the fewest amount of apps available than any other platform, don't you think your app would get more visabilty, especially if it's a quality app??? I sure would like to know how much money a developer makes in a market where their app will most likely be overlooked by the shear amount of apps available, to a market that maybe has a stagnant userbase and an uncertain future (no pun intended), but still has a large enough userbase and can have very high app visibilty and the ability to make a profit cause they can put out an app that is unique to the platform.

IDK....at this moment WebOS for tablets doesn't have any pinball apps (i'm pretty sure you can find a flash based one on the web though), and i think a developer can make a nice profit if they develop a real quality game and price it at a fair dollar amount.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    That's the craziest thing I think a developer can say, if there are millions of Ipads out there with hundreds of thousands of apps, and thousands of Android tablets out there with a small amount of tablet optimized apps, and now hundreds of thousands of WebOS tablets out there with hundreds of optimized apps why in the world would you not attempt to make some more money. if WebOS has the fewest amount of apps available than any other platform, don't you think your app would get more visabilty, especially if it's a quality app??? I sure would like to know how much money a developer makes in a market where their app will most likely be overlooked by the shear amount of apps available, to a market that maybe has a stagnant userbase and an uncertain future (no pun intended), but still has a large enough userbase and can have very high app visibilty and the ability to make a profit cause they can put out an app that is unique to the platform.

IDK....at this moment WebOS for tablets doesn't have any pinball apps (i'm pretty sure you can find a flash based one on the web though), and i think a developer can make a nice profit if they develop a real quality game and price it at a fair dollar amount.
    The thing is, if it were worth doing, they'd do it. I suppose there's more money to be had by focusing on Android instead of devoting resources to (at the moment anyway) a dying OS.

According to their website, they have over 2 million downloads for Pinball Deluxe. Anyone have any numbers for app downloads on the webOS market?
  19. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    The thing is, if it were worth doing, they'd do it. I suppose there's more money to be had by focusing on Android instead of devoting resources to (at the moment anyway) a dying OS.

According to their website, they have over 2 million downloads for Pinball Deluxe. Anyone have any numbers for app downloads on the webOS market?
    don't you think close to a million more sells would help to beef that number up. especially to a new platform where nothing like that exist. I actually think they'd hit the mark faster because you have a platform that focuses on new apps via the pivot catalog in the app store. As soon a someone opens pivot they can read about the app and the developer and see the other stuff the developer has on the market.

I know if a quality app comes to WebOS and I have a need for it, i'd buy it. If its a game that i can get a lot of replay potential out of, i'd buy that too. I didn't buy Robotek but sure did spend my money on some upgrades, didn't think i'd ever do it but i did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc539 View Post
    I opened up CNN's website, opened Yahoo's Website on new tab, opened Miami Herald on new tab..all this right after each other. Went back to CNN tab it loaded in less than 3 seconds, jumped to Yahoo Tab it loaded in about 3 seconds, went over to Miami Herald tab it loaded in 4 seconds.
    I am not sure who's point you are proving here. The fact that the "tabs" took 3-4 seconds to load after you switched is exactly the point. That in webOS the cards do not load in the background. For if they did, then they should not even take a millisecond and should be all loaded up when you switch to them. That is true multi-tasking, anything less is not and unfortunately, webOS has gone from actually being able to do this in it's earlier avtaars to not being able to do so post webOS 2.0.0.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast