Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    They have 600 software engineers and an install base of about 1 million, two months into the platform. Invent some online addictive game that you play over the TouchPad...or something.

(notice no typos now as I am using my mac, take that you autocorrect fiend).
    A Command and Conquer or Starcraft type game with a small annual fee for online play and they will have me for even more money. Heck I already spent the rebate I got back from buying the Touchpad at the original price on another Touchpad, case, keyboard, touchstone, and 10 more apps. I can justify the cost to my wife because I only paid $150 for the tablet.

HP is not Apple. They should not even try to be. Apple is the Ferrari of the computing industry right now. Their products are beautiful yet overpriced. HP should try to remain the Toyota of the industry. More people buy Toyotas than Ferraris because they can't afford Ferrari prices. They keep buying Toyotas because they are reliable and have value. The profit margin may be higher for the Ferrari, but the number of sales is low.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    In October HP announces the TouchPad 2 is "coming soon." In March 2012 the tablet market taekes a nosedive. In June 2012 the TouchPad 2 debuts @ $799.99. On July 1, 2012 HP announces the TouchPad is a POS and they're not making anymore.On July 15 the liquidation begins. In August HP sues the firm they hired to liquidate the ToucPad on the basis of hosting a fake web site. In September Leo gets a $15 million golden parachute and the incoming CEO announces they're buying RIM. On November 15 the new CEO announces the TouchBerry is "coming soon."
    untitled, Spyke and kangur like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    In October HP announces the TouchPad 2 is "coming soon." In March 2012 the tablet market taekes a nosedive. In June 2012 the TouchPad 2 debuts @ $799.99. On July 1, 2012 HP announces the TouchPad is a POS and they're not making anymore.On July 15 the liquidation begins. In August HP sues the firm they hired to liquidate the ToucPad on the basis of hosting a fake web site. In September Leo gets a $15 million golden parachute and the incoming CEO announces they're buying RIM. On November 15 the new CEO announces the TouchBerry is "coming soon."
    Wow! Drama like a soup opera! People will buy them just for the drama alone.
    If the combine sales for the iPad and iPad2 were 100k a day then the Touchpad outsold both iPad version during the fire sale. By all the estimates from the naysayers before the fire sale, the Touchpad sold way less than 100k in the first month. However the Touchpad sold over 700-800k in less than 4 days during the fire sale according article. The fire sale began on a Friday. By the end of the day Wal-Mart and Staples were out of Touchpads. Best Buy sold over 200k of them in less than 24 hours. The fire sale started on a Saturday night for them and by Sunday morning they were all gone. Several online retailer's websites crashed Sunday evening and HP was out on Sunday evening also.
    We seem to be forgetting HP's (and the world's) philosophy of selling things for MUCH lower than they cost to make, and making their profit off of extras.

Anyone bought printer ink lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    We seem to be forgetting HP's (and the world's) philosophy of selling things for MUCH lower than they cost to make, and making their profit off of extras.

Anyone bought printer ink lately?
    Maybe HP should make next TouchPad at $50 and $100. But the trick is to make it removable battery and the battery only last 6 months. And the replacement battery cost about $40.
    Word is Amazon is coming out with a 7" tablet with a capacitive screen running a skinned Android in October for $250. And rumor has it that it comes with a Prime membership.And if it sells well that a 10" model will follow early next year.This sounds like a game changer.Sorry Apple!
    Last edited by jameskelsey; 09/02/2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    If Apple starts selling the iPad at $199... how many will they sell in a day?
    Apple is the only entity(private sector or government) with so much cash
    to burn.
    Will Apple do that? They are not known as low margin sellers.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Maybe HP should make next TouchPad at $50 and $100. But the trick is to make it removable battery and the battery only last 6 months. And the replacement battery cost about $40.
    That would blow big chunks. Funny thing is I just bought an HP printer because no one is selling ink for my 5 year old printer anymore, the ink cost $20 per cartridge, there were four different cartridges (red, yellow, blue, and black), and if one of them was low the printer would not work. My wife got fed up and had me buy another one. Bought an HP printer to print directly from the Touchpad. Two weeks ago I wanted to take a baseball bat to all HP products. It's amazing what a little fire sale and a over $400 refund will do for you. Back on the point, I think apps and accessories are the new ink.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The TouchPad cost over $300 to make. So, any price under that cost is, by definition, unprofitable. Why anyone thinks another company will want to pick up a product that's been PROVEN unable to sell at a profitable price point is beyond me.

Folks, this whole thing makes no sense, as in Business 101 sense. If the TouchPad can't sell for $399 or more given its costs, then it's not a profitable venture for anyone. Period.

Oh, and: someone please show me something that Digitimes has ever gotten right...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    I'm tired of the no thought response "it costs 300 to make" and "it has to sell for 400 or more" crap come on nothing is has to stop and think for once here.

this version costs 307 to make but HP could redesign and make better deals and have something that retails at 300 I mean who the heck ever said its an absolute that tablets cost 307 to make? Note that Amazon's new tablet may be color and only cost 199 nook color touch tablet 249 look on ebay tons of sub 200 tablets really if HP could sell 5 million tablets and make $25 profit off of it

125,000,000 in profit is nothing to sneeze at and they do not need a lot of advertising just to say they have an awesome sub 300 tablet will be enough

(299 lol)

have fun I typed this on my responsive fast HP Touchpad
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Will Apple do that? They are not known as low margin sellers.
    never its a fantasy
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    With Leo "THE Moron" Apotheker's fine "leadership" HP is in total chaos from an outsider's viewpoint. I don't think we should really discount anything that could happen in the future. Until the news came out, naysayers were stating that HP wouldn't make anymore. Yet, we know they are, and it will be at least 100k units.

I honestly think that the more Bradley takes over the hardware situation (and if they are going to spin it off, they have to let him have more control over the hardware as opposed to the current CEO overlord method they have been under) the more likely it is that we may see them walk back on the hardware stuff, at least to a degree. If Bradley gets the power to act, and sees that the TouchPad actually has an artificially created high demand through the combo fire sale and stock shortage, he could very well start up and sell the pad in spurts of a couple 100k here and there for the next 6 months and easily end up with over 2 million units sold (still not convinced that Digitimes is correct about the 1 million number and think it's actually more based on other solid rumors and Digitimes' history).

If they were to go that route, while revising a limited run of the TouchPad Go, they could build more momentum and put out a TouchPad 2 (HDMI out, shave a couple 10ths of an inch off the thickness, add a rear facing camera, add an SD card slot, then change the back to a rubberized version) at around $250-300. They have the resources to do all of this if they break down the bureaucracy from corporate. I'm certainly not saying they will do any of this, but they have created a demand that they could seek to fill and drive themselves up the charts. And, of course, the board could also get either booted by the shareholders, or Leo dumped by the current board, so no telling what could happen. HP's stock is still in the tank compared to before the idiotic announcement.

Time will answer all.
    brum and Weaser999 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gscharp View Post
    How is HP selling them at a loss any different than what console manufacturers do? When they come out with a new console they sell it at a loss at first knowing full well that the components / manufacturing costs will eventually come down all while making that loss back thru accessories (controllers and such) and games (apps).
    MS and Sony are willing to take an initial loss because of the massive licensing fees they earn from game development companies. These games cost upward to $60 a pop and are often in development for years before release. HP can't count on the same return from applications that cost on average $1 and are developed by a 16 year old still living with his parents.
    littlelulu257 likes this.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    With Leo "THE Moron" Apotheker's fine "leadership" HP is in total chaos from an outsider's viewpoint. I don't think we should really discount anything that could happen in the future. Until the news came out, naysayers were stating that HP wouldn't make anymore. Yet, we know they are, and it will be at least 100k units.

I honestly think that the more Bradley takes over the hardware situation (and if they are going to spin it off, they have to let him have more control over the hardware as opposed to the current CEO overlord method they have been under) the more likely it is that we may see them walk back on the hardware stuff, at least to a degree. If Bradley gets the power to act, and sees that the TouchPad actually has an artificially created high demand through the combo fire sale and stock shortage, he could very well start up and sell the pad in spurts of a couple 100k here and there for the next 6 months and easily end up with over 2 million units sold (still not convinced that Digitimes is correct about the 1 million number and think it's actually more based on other solid rumors and Digitimes' history).

If they were to go that route, while revising a limited run of the TouchPad Go, they could build more momentum and put out a TouchPad 2 (HDMI out, shave a couple 10ths of an inch off the thickness, add a rear facing camera, add an SD card slot, then change the back to a rubberized version) at around $250-300. They have the resources to do all of this if they break down the bureaucracy from corporate. I'm certainly not saying they will do any of this, but they have created a demand that they could seek to fill and drive themselves up the charts. And, of course, the board could also get either booted by the shareholders, or Leo dumped by the current board, so no telling what could happen. HP's stock is still in the tank compared to before the idiotic announcement.

Time will answer all.
    Thoughtful reply, thanks for stopping by.
    The potential of selling a near cost tablet certainly is there. Take a look at Asus and ($400 tablet they couldn't keep on the shelves for months) the Transformer. They're selling the Transformer at dang near cost level and no income from any apps sold. Where is their money coming from? That $150 dock. The Nook Color does something similar but with digital content(which they only get a portion of after writers/publishers get theirs) vs accessories.

Then you have the HP Touchpad. A device where HP could have made money off of proprietary accessories(touchstone, and I'm sure they could make a dock with wanted ports) as well as off of digital content. Its odd to think of HP (the company well known for doing such a strategy with their printers and ink) not seeing/doing this, at least long enough to get a secure spot in the market. Then again there is a reason HP's err "attempt" can be summed up as frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    You are right about the price point. However making a similar device for less than $300 in the future is highly doable. In about a year the cost of the hardware will be less. Keep the screen at a discounted price for volume, add a better and cheaper dual core processor, cheaper but larger storage or a $3 SD card slot, a $4 rear camera (if it is even necessary), a $5 HDMI out port, an improved battery at the same cost or cheaper, a cheaper and smaller version of the recharging coil, and a soft rubberized back. Call the product the Touchpad 2. Bump the price of the 16gb to $150 and the 32gb to $200. People will still buy them at a crazy rate because it is 1/2 the cost of the nearest Android competitor and 1/3 the cost of a similar iPad. Only thing HP has to do is break even on the hardware and make a sizeable profit on the services.
    I would hope thats true. $150/200 will definitely be attractive, provide with no significant quanliy drop.

But im unsure the hardware price will drop enough for this to happen.

I say this to whoever pick webos tab up: expand your user base first, if thats means short term loss, so be it.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Last edited by clevin; 09/03/2011 at 04:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    lol awesome

There are millions caught up in the touch pad frenzy I still think you could turn this around just takes

right price (under 300 retail)

refinements to OS (already being done)
    I agree, but HP isn't the one to do it. They are inept.
  18.    #58  
    digitimes now saying 200K coming in Oct, mods can you pls update thread title?
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    They recently said Apple is expcted to increase iPad 2 production to (edit) 6.6 million units
    per month by October. (their source appears to be the contractor in China who make iPads
    forApple)
    I can almost believe it. They sold nearly 10M over a single quarter earlier this year and they could be ramping up for holiday sales now.

Conversely, a Lenovo exec says Samsung sold only 2 percent of shipped Galaxy Tabs... so roughly 20k out of a million.

Lenovo exec says Samsung sold only 2 percent of shipped Galaxy Tabs - Yahoo! News
    Hi all,

I still hope it's enough to make some firm out there realize that they need to license webOS form HP!!! take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    e-gadget-guy likes this.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast