Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes
    I can confirm that.

I have been following Pre3 and TP prices on ebay.de for the last couple of weeks (I have > 100 TP sales in my watchlist). While there are almost no Pre3 available (the few that are sell at 500 to 650 Euros) there are many TP sales going through daily.

They sell at at 250 - 400 Euros (with the 16 GB models making up the low end of that range of course). The 32 GB models hardly ever sell below 300.

On the one hand there is a lot of demand going after a limited and dwindling supply.
    OTOH - this is for a device with a dying platform and low expectancy of new apps and the almost certainty of 0 future support. The latter suppresses the price - people would obviously pay more if they expected the platform to be actively supported.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm laughing at what autocorrect did to several posts in this thread...
    yes, was weird. I used my laptop a lot thjs week and forgot about this autocorrect stuff, maybe I should just turn it off. How do I do that? Or perhaps add words to my dictionary, don't know hos to do that either.

I don't think it was the hardware holding up webOS release as much as the software. If they start now, they could have a competitive device in the spring, didn't someone else retool quickly once ipad2 came out?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Agreed!

Nook Color was 259 I think when it first came out - maybe a bit more?

You really telling me that if this was priced at 289, a mere 30 more, that people would not have paused & said I just get the kindle or nook app (if they make it... ahem)

NC sold like hot cakes, & look at the value difference esp when it first came out & had no market on it even!! I will say the nook as hardware is wonderful & I would lust over having webos on that device!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I don't understand why everyone keeps harping on about a '$99' tablet. The fact is that even at $200, if not more, the TouchPads would have all sold out. Based on the huge demand for the TouchPad, I would wager that at a price point around $250 the TouchPad would be a major player in the Tablet market. Every single person I know and who has even some idea of the TouchPad, is ready to buy one at $200 with no questions asked. If the $200 price point is acceptable inspite of HP declaring the TouchPad dead and even with all the uncertainity around webOS, then my professional opinion is that the market will most certainly support a price point atleast 50% higher than $200. Android has been in the Tablet market for almost a year, if not longer, and has numerous hardware manufacturers selling tens of tablet models and yet the TouchPad has almost already equalled the Android's tablet customer base. Thus, the fact is that with it's current customer base if the TouchPad does not have a chance to succeed, then I suppose all the 'Android' tablets from every Tom, **** & Harry ought to get out of the business too.

HP should spin off the PSG and they in turn should reconsider the decision to get out of the Tablet/Phone market. They should re-introduce the TouchPad with slight changes and at a new price point, ie. 16GB $275 - $300, 32GB $350 - $375, 64GB $450. Ofcourse a little tweaking of these price points may be neccesary based on actual costings and also some more market research. Although trends on eBay should serve as a rather good substite of the latter. With all the free publicity and the new awareness level of webOS and the TouchPad, in addition to the now substantial user base, HP has been gifted an excellent opportunity to make a fresh go at this market. The irony is, that this time around they actually have a better chance of succeeding than they did the first time around.

PS: The number of tablets Apple sells, is totally irrelevant to the success of the TouchPad. For the umpteenth time, for the TouchPad to be a success it does not have to beat or even come close to the sales of the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I don't understand why everyone keeps harping on about a '$99' tablet. The fact is that even at $200, if not more, the TouchPads would have all sold out. Based on the huge demand for the TouchPad, I would wager that at a price point around $250 the TouchPad would be a major player in the Tablet market.
    If they had done that initially it would not have had the same effect. There are plenty of people (myself included) that would have never purchased it at that price point. Now that I have one I understand it's easily worth $250 but before the firesale they would have never been able to get the type of user base they've accumulated with the firesale. Hopefully they make more at do follow your suggested pricing scheme but previously it wouldn't have worked.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You think people that want a $99 TouchPad will actually pay 3x that amount for one?
    refined and updated? They are paying 300 on ebay for them now

ipad is 4 to 5x more
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gscharp View Post
    If they had done that initially it would not have had the same effect. There are plenty of people (myself included) that would have never purchased it at that price point. Now that I have one I understand it's easily worth $250 but before the firesale they would have never been able to get the type of user base they've accumulated with the firesale. Hopefully they make more at do follow your suggested pricing scheme but previously it wouldn't have worked.
    because they feel the touch pad is inferior and only reason it sold was price
    while price is a reason its still a decent tablet
    just needed Quality control and updates
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    Agreed!

Nook Color was 259 I think when it first came out - maybe a bit more?

You really telling me that if this was priced at 289, a mere 30 more, that people would not have paused & said I just get the kindle or nook app (if they make it... ahem)

NC sold like hot cakes, & look at the value difference esp when it first came out & had no market on it even!! I will say the nook as hardware is wonderful & I would lust over having webos on that device!!!!
    Nook Color was $249. The Kindle app on this thing is a joke and I don't even know if a Nook app exists. As far as hardware is concerned, the TouchPad is much better. B&N was already subsidizing the price of the Nook as they're counting on ebook sales and magazine and newspaper subscriptions to make profit. Unfortunately, HP doesn't have that kind of content catalog.
    The TouchPad cost over $300 to make. So, any price under that cost is, by definition, unprofitable. Why anyone thinks another company will want to pick up a product that's been PROVEN unable to sell at a profitable price point is beyond me.

Folks, this whole thing makes no sense, as in Business 101 sense. If the TouchPad can't sell for $399 or more given its costs, then it's not a profitable venture for anyone. Period.

Oh, and: someone please show me something that Digitimes has ever gotten right...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    How is HP selling them at a loss any different than what console manufacturers do? When they come out with a new console they sell it at a loss at first knowing full well that the components / manufacturing costs will eventually come down all while making that loss back thru accessories (controllers and such) and games (apps).
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    Nook Color was $249. The Kindle app on this thing is a joke and I don't even know if a Nook app exists. As far as hardware is concerned, the TouchPad is much better. B&N was already subsidizing the price of the Nook as they're counting on ebook sales and magazine and newspaper subscriptions to make profit. Unfortunately, HP doesn't have that kind of content catalog.
    No one but HP and Amazon know how much HP charges Amazon for each book downloaded to the platform. Amazon is genius for releasing a Kindle app for every platform along with a hardware Kindle. They get money from books sold on other hardware. The Kindle app on the Touchpad is pretty good. The animations are great and downloading books to it are easy. My wife loves it. It still has some weird bugs but they don't take away from the experience. I believe the Touchpad is the cheapest and best ereader on the market right now.
    its just unfortunate, if it were priced around $300-350 from start, it might have been great by now.

Now its entering $99 stage, it will be difficult to make another similar product that ask for $300-400.

The shear number of unit sold obviously said there is a nice market for webOS (exclude those who grab it and then put on ebay or craigslist), HP is just not the right guy to do it. It has no clue how to make and market and sell a tablet apparently. With this fiasco, I don't know who gonna pick it up and continue.
    People buying consoles are buying them to play $50-60 games. Licensing fees are pretty hefty. If they can show game developers that they have a big user base, game developers are more likely to make games for their platform and pay them hefty fees. The only way hardware manufacturers can make money is through accessories and that's not a guarantee since there are plenty of 3rd parties selling cheap accessories. The one who would make money from app sales is HP since people will be buying apps from them.
  13.    #33  
    They have 600 software engineers and an install base of about 1 million, two months into the platform. Invent some online addictive game that you play over the TouchPad...or something.

(notice no typos now as I am using my mac, take that you autocorrect fiend).
    Quote Originally Posted by gscharp View Post
    How is HP selling them at a loss any different than what console manufacturers do? When they come out with a new console they sell it at a loss at first knowing full well that the components / manufacturing costs will eventually come down all while making that loss back thru accessories (controllers and such) and games (apps).
    The PlayStation 3 cost over $1000 to make and sold for $600 initially. The price was then dropped to $300. It was the best blue ray player on the market for a long time. It was also the cheapest. I own one and I haven't bought a game for it in over a year and a half. I watch Netflix on it more than anything else. There is no way Sony made up their money on me in games. I only have about 10 games. I have more games on my Touchpad at an average of $3 a pop along with some other paid apps. I also have some books. If I would have had the opportunity to buy the HP Care Package instead of paying for another insurance service I probably would have bought that too. I also bought a case and a keyboard which I know did not cost HP nearly the amount I paid for them to make. It is not hard at all for HP to make up the difference from the fire sale price on me.

As long as HP continues to provide updates to the software and the apps are available, I will keep the Touchpad. I give my Touchpad a two year lifespan before I'm tired with it and ready to move on. Two years is a lifetime in the mobile phone business but not unheard of for laptops and PCs. That gives them plenty of time to make up the difference.

HP has been very dysfunctional for the past few weeks. There is no telling what they will do next of even why. I do believe that selling the Touchpad at the $99 start point is ingenious and they should continue doing it. I believe they have already pushed ahead of any other Android tablet, to include the Galaxy Tab. I think they should make a million more of them. The loss they take is less than the cost of advertisement which they clearly don't need right now.
    tikblang likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Folks, this whole thing makes no sense, as in Business 101 sense. If the TouchPad can't sell for $399 or more given its costs, then it's not a profitable venture for anyone. Period.
    uhhhh... then I guess virtually all Android 3.x tablets will be vanishing from stores at fire sale prices soon (and let's not leave out the RIM Playbook) because none of them are moving even semi-decent numbers apparently. I doubt any single one of them was doing better than the TP overall to begin with given they've not even sold 1.5M in total.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    they sell 100k in Oct announce new hardware at CES, meanwhile software keeps improving and they continue plans for pcs...
    god I miss smokin' dope.
  17.    #37  
    HP needs to move quickly. WSJ reports that big customers considering delaying or cancelling purchases of higher margin pcs, HP has to make its moves now and stabilize.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    its just unfortunate, if it were priced around $300-350 from start, it might have been great by now.

Now its entering $99 stage, it will be difficult to make another similar product that ask for $300-400.

The shear number of unit sold obviously said there is a nice market for webOS (exclude those who grab it and then put on ebay or craigslist), HP is just not the right guy to do it. It has no clue how to make and market and sell a tablet apparently. With this fiasco, I don't know who gonna pick it up and continue.
    You are right about the price point. However making a similar device for less than $300 in the future is highly doable. In about a year the cost of the hardware will be less. Keep the screen at a discounted price for volume, add a better and cheaper dual core processor, cheaper but larger storage or a $3 SD card slot, a $4 rear camera (if it is even necessary), a $5 HDMI out port, an improved battery at the same cost or cheaper, a cheaper and smaller version of the recharging coil, and a soft rubberized back. Call the product the Touchpad 2. Bump the price of the 16gb to $150 and the 32gb to $200. People will still buy them at a crazy rate because it is 1/2 the cost of the nearest Android competitor and 1/3 the cost of a similar iPad. Only thing HP has to do is break even on the hardware and make a sizeable profit on the services.
    To have an updated webOS device, I would have been happy to pay full price had I been able to afford it at the time it came out. Even without the price reduction. Add to that the price of apps and accessories. My only complaint has been weight as it is somewhat uncomfortable to use holding it for long periods of time. Now that I have one, for an ADDITIONAL one, I wouldn't pay more than 400. Any more than that price I'd be better off with functionality of a laptop, tho that will diminish if they find an easy way to connect a USB drive.

I've been trying to justify the price of a laptop for years, and since I don't need it for work and I was the only one in the house that really used the computer, I just couldn't do it. Tho I would have tried hard this month now that unexpected long term house guests limit my access to my desktop. The convenience that the TP has offered now that my personal space has been invaded, I just can't put into words. I also have a brother who is intimidated by a pc, but not by the TP, so I'm finally able to introduce him to the awesomeness of the internet, and I will be seeking to find another one for him.

As someone else has said, I've paid more for less. I was about to drop 225 for a clarisonic just to wash my face, thanks to the magic of Twitter I won one, actually 2, so I didn't have to but I was willing. I also have my eye on a 100+ coffeemaker. I can't wait until my keyboard arrives.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    refined and updated? They are paying 300 on ebay for them now

ipad is 4 to 5x more
    Only because it's a hot item they can't get anywhere else. It's some weird switch in people's brains. If they could just walk into a store and grab one, they probably would not pay $300.
    StuckwVerizon and ogeneo like this.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast