Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all...new member here.

Can anyone give me some basic intructions on overclocking my TP? I installed
    Uberkernel and Govnah and don't know what to do next? Also, do I need to
    rerun these programs every time I reboot or will the TP continue with the same
    kernel/speed it had when I powered it down? I just want a nice safe 1.5 speed
    with no risks. Thanks!
    I don't have my touchpad with me so I have to go off memory. But once you have uberkernel and govnah installed all the hard work has been done already. Leave uberkernel alone, you don't ever have to "run" this. Open govnah and you can manipulate your max clock speed from there. I believe you need to open up one of the profiles and change the maximum setting from there. Once you're set you shouldn't have to rerun anything.
    Isn't there a risk of running uberkernel like warranty risk or worse. Is it safe enough or has anyone ruined their device because of it? Can you uninstall it without issues if it runs into a problem?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    It is quite safe, and you can revert as needed. Theoretically OCing can shorten the life of the unit, but it is well worth it.
    Dejavu.... check out the sticky on setting up your TP http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

It has links to help you further...

To answer your other question, it sticks at 1.5 after a reboot (not that you have to do that very often) typically just fire up govnah after just to make sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabramson View Post
    Isn't there a risk of running uberkernel like warranty risk or worse. Is it safe enough or has anyone ruined their device because of it? Can you uninstall it without issues if it runs into a problem?
    been running it for two weeks no issues, I have heard from many people here that HP doesn't seem to care about the overclocking... since it is designed to shutdown if it gets to hot anyways...
    Overclocking is safe. As with any venture, there are risks but the risks are minuscule. Any changes can be reverted with webOS doctor.

The uberkernel is stable and proven. I've never seen anyone on these forums claim that uberkernel damaged their touchpad. There are other kernels out there that are faster and more unstable, but those kernels are hidden by default and are only available to those that seek them out and assume the risks.

Stop worrying and overclock away.
  8.    #8  
    I someone could just give me some "middle of the road" settings for Govnah, that would be great. A lot of the documentation on the web pertains to the Palm pre and not the Touchpad.

Again......I have installed Govnah and Uberkernel...what next?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    I don't have my touchpad with me so I have to go off memory. But once you have uberkernel and govnah installed all the hard work has been done already. Leave uberkernel alone, you don't ever have to "run" this. Open govnah and you can manipulate your max clock speed from there. I believe you need to open up one of the profiles and change the maximum setting from there. Once you're set you shouldn't have to rerun anything.
    from what I understand, just installing Uberkernel and Govnah doesn't actually change anything. Don't you need to set something in Govnah to overclock? I think the default setting is the "stock" kernel.

I need some guidance on how to change the settings in the Govnah profiles.
    1. Install UberKernal
    2. Install Govnah
    3. Open Govnah and click the row that say profile, select OnDemandTcl 1512
    4. Done...

This is what I did, and it runs beautifully, now if you need more then that you will have to tweak it following the guides...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpierson View Post
    1. Install UberKernal
    2. Install Govnah
    3. Open Govnah and click the row that say profile, select OnDemandTcl 1512
    4. Done...

This is what I did, and it runs beautifully, now if you need more then that you will have to tweak it following the guides...
    OK I can do that

I looked in Govnah and only saw 2 profiles...the one you show above and the stock kernel?
    Where are all these profiles like "conservative", "ondemand", etc., like show in the wiki docs?
    Under profile in Govnah, select OnDemandTcl 1512
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
    OK I can do that

I looked in Govnah and only saw 2 profiles...the one you show above and the stock kernel?
    Where are all these profiles like "conservative", "ondemand", etc., like show in the wiki docs?
    They should only show up if you have everything setup on some sort of webOS mobile device with the same account.
    I just did it. Took like 5 minutes with the restarts. Seems faster but that might just be all in my head.
    I'm not sure if you need to be in developer mode or not but just to be safe put her in developer mode first.
    yeah its definitely more faster now. Its a very snappy tablet now. Just do it.
    I've played with the different kernels with two 32gb touchpads and compared them side by side for real world results.

the biggest speed improvements showed by reducing logging--goto device info, setting in left corner--diagnostics, left corner settings--logging. . . Change to err or non.

added some preware patches for faster animation, ad block, etc and they help.

the overclocking. . . Not as much as expected, especially for apps. Didn't see much unless I was 1.7GHz+
    the one area that OCing did seem to help was with apps hanging, but I think the logging does the most.

so, I'm back with the stock palm kernel + preware but no OC kernel
    certainly faster than out of the box. . . that's my experience anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
    Hey all...new member here.

Can anyone give me some basic intructions on overclocking my TP? I installed
    Uberkernel and Govnah and don't know what to do next? Also, do I need to
    rerun these programs every time I reboot or will the TP continue with the same
    kernel/speed it had when I powered it down? I just want a nice safe 1.5 speed
    with no risks. Thanks!
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

[webOS] [GUIDE] Overclock the HP Touchpad to 1.9Ghz - xda-developers

enjoy !
    the root.
    IMO UberKernal is more than safe since the chips are actually meant to run at 1,5 stock.

Me, on the other hand, I don't like "safe". I overclocked to 1.7. I believe this to still be fairly "safe" but there is always "risks".
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast