Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by videogmike View Post
    what's wrong w/ webos default mail application?

i realize this wasn't your question, but i'm just curious
    In guests or WPA2 enterprise networks, Synergy accounts are disabled. I'm not sure why HP didn't make the TP enterprise-friendly, but it renders it useless. I have to use Gmail through the internet browser.
    HP Touchpad 16GB
    Oh I did not know that was the iphone one, it is what came up on my friends ipad2. i copied link from his ipad2. hmmm.... i dont have iphone or ipad so i have no clue what is different. try these. one is link sent from ipad2 to me, the 647 one.

try this
    https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/647/#tl/Inbox

https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/570/
    ^ On a desktop browser, both of those are showing me what appears to be the iPHONE view. I dont have my Touchpad with me at work so I can't test.

In genreal though, this would be a great tweak, being able to spoof the user agent as an iPad, simply because that way you'll almost always get access to "tablet optimized" versions of sites when available.

Any chance of someone doing this and dropping a patch on preware?
    The web version of gmail is frustrating, even with the mobile version which has conversation view, you can not reply or compose an email from another address except the gmail address. I do not understand why these tablets, especially android tablets do not render the standard gmail web page with full functionality.
    It works
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    i need my conversation view, labels, and archiving. i wonder if a patch can be made to give the native email app function like gmail, like the patch that gives outlook functions on preware.
    Ooo ooo, I know this one

It doesn't do quoted line prefixing when replying to emails. (Posting style - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) I have been using email 20 years and consider this to be an essential feature. I consider any mail client that doesn't support this to be essentially useless except in situation where no other client is available.

It does not mark the signature as such using the standard signature delimiter (a single line consisting of exactly two hyphens, followed by a space, followed by the end of line) which allows mail clients known to identify and discard it rather than include it in the quoted message when you reply.

Both of these problems are related to my third point: It sends emails out as HTML only with no plaintext version. Some recipients, such as mailing lists, consider this a sign of spam and discard such messages. (That it sends as HTML also seems somewhat illogical seeing as the message composition doesn't allow you to apply any formatting such as bold, choosing the font or different colours etc. It it lets you type is plain unformatted text.)

But back to the OP's question, I was looking at this myself today. I've created a bookmark in the web browser for the url
    https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/558/#tl/Inbox
    I got that by telling Firefox on my Mac to spoof it's useragent as that of an iPad.
    I can't see how it differs from the 647 and 570 variants that were already posted.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    These are all iphone views - the iPad view has your inbox and labels on the lefts and emails in a viewing panel on the right. You can see the iPad view in this article

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...pane-goodness/
    So i have an iPad, here's the url

https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/985/#tl/Inbox

but when you load it up on the touchpad its only shows one panel
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cube1701 View Post
    One of the things I hate about gmail when I am viewing from the web is conversations. I have started to get used to it, but it still bugs me, mainly because it will sometimes group things together that I normally wouldn't group together.
    Sidenote - you know you can turn that off now, right? Go to Settings.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    There is a lab in Gmail now that will give you preview pane. Anyone know how well that works on the TP?

I'd like to see a better email app on the TP. I like what it has, but I'd like to see better.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cube1701 View Post
    For one thing, if you have extra email accounts on gmail then you can't use any of those in the default app. You also can't do that in Basic HTML Gmail, which makes WebOS not very good at emails for me.
    I have 2 gmail accounts signed in on my TP app. Well, one is Google Apps for Business - but obviously, still through Gmail.
    one of the apps in preware, i believe it was google latitude, talks about changing the touchpad's useragent to the ipad in its description. I didn't exactly understand how to do it and haven't been able to find any documentation on the web. (Though I'm familiar with changing user agent in Firefox to emulate iphone and ipad etc.)

However, here's the idea and people smarter than me can figure how to implement it and teach us. then we'll get tablet optimized webpages not only in gmail but everywhere!
    A patch that would allow us to toggle the useragent to safari and back to the webOS browser would be ideal. Not sure I'd want every site displaying the iPad version.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPad View Post
    It sends emails out as HTML only with no plaintext version. Some recipients, such as mailing lists, consider this a sign of spam and discard such messages. (That it sends as HTML also seems somewhat illogical seeing as the message composition doesn't allow you to apply any formatting such as bold, choosing the font or different colours etc. It it lets you type is plain unformatted text.)
    If you have the advanced e-mail app (don't think that's the exact name). You can do all kinds of HTML formatting. That doesn't sound like what you really want, but it is supported.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

Quote Originally Posted by fobis
    Please stop spreading misinformation. https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...y?answer=77657
    Well it's partly true, as far as I tell you can't apply multiple labels in the TP client because you have to place an email in a single folder (label).
    Thanks, yes, this is my point. Sure, the folder I put it in will translate to a label in native Gmail. But as long as I can only put one "label" on it, I'm not really using labels; that's just folders with a slightly different interface. The whole point of labels is to be able to tag something several ways.

I don't even know if you can copy messages in the TouchPad mail app. In a desktop email client you could theoretically copy a message into several folders to put multiple labels on it. But this is way too cumbersome to be practical.

The Gmail API provides a way to access and modify labels, so it should theoretically be possible to patch the Mail app to support labels on Gmail accounts. But I think threaded view should be a higher priority anyway. That's vital.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    The Gmail API provides a way to access and modify labels, so it should theoretically be possible to patch the Mail app to support labels on Gmail accounts. But I think threaded view should be a higher priority anyway. That's vital.
    Curious, do other tablet e-mail apps do this? Do desktop clients do this?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Curious, do other tablet e-mail apps do this? Do desktop clients do this?
    I've never seen it done, but it's documented under Gmail IMAP Extensions.
    Last edited by paulbee; 09/02/2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Bad markup.
    I remember when the pre came out, the iphone urls would give the iphone view, but then several sites changed the links so it would redirect to a different mobile site. I specifically remember that with one of the weather sites, but others did it too. Apple only wants apple folx to have their web experience. That is the reason many sites load faster on iPad, they go to optimized sites. Pay premium, get premium.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.

i realize this wasn't your question, but i'm just curious
    Also, inelegant use of labels.

Also, sometimes my "Sent" messages find their way into my inbox.
    craigdts likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast