Page 1 of 28 123456 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
  1.    #1  
    Good News Everyone! Guy on Russian webOS forums posted some intrigue info about TouchPad USB capabilities.

Hi all.

I was looking into USB host support on the Touchpad and I guess I have some good news.

There is fully functional USB Host support, you don't even need to do any SW modification, everything is supported out of the box with one caveat, you need external power.
    Support for keyboard, mice, harddrives and cameras is fully built in the default WebOS software.
    I guess HP planned to sell their own USB attachments, iPad-style.

The only thing you need is USB OTG cable. Like this: New micro USB to USB Female Cable USB-OTG N900 | eBay
    Basically just search for "USB OTG cable" on ebay, costs about $3. And USB Y-cable. The only two things you need are OTG microUSB cable and USB Y cable to provide external power.

I am still looking into possibility of self-powered usb host mode, with all the support HP built in for it it almost sounds like a given there must be a way to enable it one way or another. Unfortunately chipset documentation is almost nonexistent.
    TP USB host demo video:

TP USB host demo video (in Russian):
    can any devs confirm this possibility?
    copasetic likes this.
    sent tweet to webos-internals, so we'll know soon enough
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    So this could used for USB modem support?
    *crosses fingers*

Please be able to access thumbdrives
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    can any devs confirm this possibility?
    Yes, I am working with the CM devs on this.

-- Rod
    Per webos-internals: Yes.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Would a camera require USB power? I'd love to have access to it from the Touchpad just to gain access to the pictures on my DLSR and email/upload them while I travel.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Would a camera require USB power? I'd love to have access to it from the Touchpad just to gain access to the pictures on my DLSR and email/upload them while I travel.
    this! +1000
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Oh snap. Why did no one plug this in and actually try? (well, I guess they did :P).

Rather annoyed I can't test it as while I have half a dozen y-cables and a usb female to female. I can't organize them in an order such that I can connect anything WITH power.
  11.    #11  
    I dream of 3G USB modem for my TouchPad Maybe it possible to find some space to put it inside TP.
    tovivekmishra likes this.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    after seeing JayCanuck's tweet earlier I eagerly grabbed my Xoom OTG cable, my Pre2 and USB cable. hooked everything up and nothing... since the Pre2 has it's own power i was hopeful i'd be able to go into USB drive mode to copy over photos.

So I will patiently wait for Rod & crew to finish their work and give us a shiny new reason to donate again!!

Clarice
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    after seeing JayCanuck's tweet earlier I eagerly grabbed my Xoom OTG cable, my Pre2 and USB cable. hooked everything up and nothing... since the Pre2 has it's own power i was hopeful i'd be able to go into USB drive mode to copy over photos.

So I will patiently wait for Rod & crew to finish their work and give us a shiny new reason to donate again!!

Clarice
    Note that this work was done by the cyanogen team - we are collaborating with them on TouchPad hardware investigations.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Same here.. It would make a great backup or travel rig, especially since the TP will fit nicely in a large camera bag

Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Well just modded a second USB female to female adapter from an old motherboard. I can now say with certainty it doesn't work 'out of box'.
    USB MIDI controller would be great!!! Good Stuff GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the work so far on this! Keep it going. Would love to be able to eventually hook up a USB Game pad for emulators and such. Thanks Thanks Thanks!
    soccergum and delbois like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    Well just modded a second USB female to female adapter from an old motherboard. I can now say with certainty it doesn't work 'out of box'.
    What hardware did you try it with? So far i've only seen the keyboard work on that Russian youtube video.

Did you also use a hub like in the video? Not sure if that's required or if you can just stick 5 volts on the USB power lines that go to the USB slave device.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    What hardware did you try it with? So far i've only seen the keyboard work on that Russian youtube video.

Did you also use a hub like in the video? Not sure if that's required or if you can just stick 5 volts on the USB power lines that go to the USB slave device.
    _______________________________________________,- female to female -> Keyboard
    hp -> micro-usb -> female to female usb -> y cable --<
    ...........................................................................`-PC USB

Hope you get the idea. Basically tried y cable in both directions along with the keyboard into another device (my N900, swapping the hp for the N900) and had no issues with the configuration. Also tried a harddrive (didn't see anything pop up in /dev) and a mouse (not sure that was working to begin with.)
    Last edited by izzeho; 09/02/2011 at 10:19 AM.
    I tried a wireless usb keyboard and and external drive. nothing.
    used a powered hub and female to female adapter.
Page 1 of 28 123456 11 ... LastLast