Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    from /proc/filesystems, looks like no support for HFS or HFS plus (Mac OS Extended) file systems
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Plugged touchpad into laptop and created usb folder. The computer will only let you write to media/internal, yes? Checking internalz pro, it is under media/internal as a folder.

So I can be a user and don't have to login as admin to mount? The ubuntu easy install I think turns us into users.
    I created the folder media/internal/usb using internalz pro. I have mounted two different flash drives and 1TB Western Digital fat 32 usb powered hard drive (no external power).

To get the built-in video player to play my mp4 files on the above flash drive and 1TB drive. I went into Internalz Pro preferences (upper left hand corner) and set Show hidden to on and Master mode to on (Be careful this is dangerous). I could now see the directories and files in media/internal/usb. Before making these changes Intenalz Pro show only .. for the media/internal/usb directory. I clicked on various movie files I had converted to mp4. I used the open option to play with the default movie player. I had the best luck with my 1TB hard drive. I stopped my 4 hr version of Lawerence of Arabia 2 hrs in.

Be sure to use Xecutah/XServer/XTerm to "umount /dev/sda1" when you are done with a drive. (umount is the unmount command)
    Quote Originally Posted by fosshilde View Post
    There you go, your file system is probably not supported.
    Interesting, thanks. I have some old cards lying around for the Treo that were formatted in windows xp before I replaced my pc with a mac (but they read fine in a card reader on the macbook). Could I reformat them and if so, what is the way to do that for "the supported format" for the TouchPad? To do this, I have a mac available with a virtual copy of windows xp.
    My eventual goal is to get the card reader working. The disk drives (formatted in Mac extended journaled) are not so important for me as I have a 32 gig TouchPad and access to boxnet.
    Last edited by bluenote; 09/17/2011 at 07:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Interesting, thanks. I have some old cards lying around for the Treo that were formatted in windows xp before I replaced my pc with a mac (but they read fine in a card reader on the macbook). Could I reformat them and if so, what is the way to do that for "the supported format" for the TouchPad? To do this, I have a mac available with a virtual copy of windows xp.
    My eventual goal is to get the card reader working. The disk drives (formatted in Mac extended journaled) are not so important for me as I have a 32 gig TouchPad and access to boxnet.
    the kernel supports ext2,ext3,fat,fat32, most USB thumb drives and flash cards are either fat or fat32, which are supported in most systems. Check your cards, they are most likely fat or fat32, which should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by fosshilde View Post
    the kernel supports ext2,ext3,fat,fat32, most USB thumb drives and flash cards are either fat or fat32, which are supported in most systems. Check your cards, they are most likely fat or fat32, which should be fine.
    Success with Motorola Camera Connection Kit for MOTOROLA XOOM 89454N cable plugged directly into Kensington DomeHub that I had in the house. (OTG bought from BestBuy B&M)
    No need for y cable.

Transferred wav file from card in Dynex card reader to media/internal/usb.
    Also played wave file directly from card using media player.

Warning on Kensington: my last hub only lasted about 1 1/2 years.

What did not work:
    Xoom, Galaxy S2, Nokia N810 / Nokia N900, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9 etc OTG cable from T&S electronics bought on Amazon site did not work with or without y cable.

DLink DUBH7 Hub did not work with either OTG cable either with or without y cable.

HP TouchPad froze at one point after reading the card.
    Also Dynex card reader seems flaky (only 1 light of the 2 green lights sometimes glows) and after fiddling with it to have both lights read, the TouchPad went into a repeating reboot mode. I unplugged the card reader and the reboot mode has ceased.
    I am not sure if the problems are because of the card reader or the Kensington hub. I am going to buy another card reader tomorrow.

Before I tried the Kensington hub, I uninstalled Warthog Kernel so I do not know if this will work with any kernel other than stock.

Many thanks to everyone for your help and good advice.

Edit: reformatted an old 160GB drive to FAT on the mac and put an m4v movie on it and an mp3--works fine with stock TouchPad movie player and music player.

Edit2: would this fix help a friend display pictures on a computer monitor? Or video on a tv?
    She is looking for occasional larger display for classroom use.
    Last edited by bluenote; 09/18/2011 at 12:05 AM.
    I have all the supplies but I still don't know how to mount a sd card. Any step by step ptocesses ?
    Alright my OTG connectors arrived today (don't drop out constantly like my hacked cable) so I'm able to test more devices if anyone is interested. As it stands a keyboard, SD card reader and a usb stick all worked. Hard drive did not (but it was formatted for my Wii as wubi format so I'm not surprised).

I don't really have many other things lying around. A tv tuner card, ethernet card (or did...) and a mouse is about it. I'll probably have a go mounting my phone as well (although it's always been picky).
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    I have all the supplies but I still don't know how to mount a sd card. Any step by step ptocesses ?
    This should have all the instructions for the software side that you need:
    How to mount and unmount usb drive or thumb drive in Linux | Linux basic configurations

Mount it under /media/internal/usb (make sure you create that directory first) so that you'll be able to see it with Internalz and other applications.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    Alright my OTG connectors arrived today (don't drop out constantly like my hacked cable) so I'm able to test more devices if anyone is interested. As it stands a keyboard, SD card reader and a usb stick all worked. Hard drive did not (but it was formatted for my Wii as wubi format so I'm not surprised).

I don't really have many other things lying around. A tv tuner card, ethernet card (or did...) and a mouse is about it. I'll probably have a go mounting my phone as well (although it's always been picky).
    Digital camera pls, esp whether it'll detect the sd card and files in the camera or not. I don't want to carry a SD card reader on my photo shoots.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Digital camera pls, esp whether it'll detect the sd card and files in the camera or not. I don't want to carry a SD card reader on my photo shoots.
    Didn't work for me - SD card reader and flash drive both work, but not my Canon IXUS when plugged in.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    How about connecting a phone too! Would it be possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by silv3r4sh View Post
    Didn't work for me - SD card reader and flash drive both work, but not my Canon IXUS when plugged in.

Cheers
    I think you need an external power supply when trying to use a camera.
    TP usb charge (origina) is using 5.3v output for charging. therefore you cannot use notebook usb port to charge instead of orginial..
    Quote Originally Posted by silv3r4sh View Post

Cheers
    I've been lurking for quite some time and watching this thread very closely. This is just the news I was looking/hoping for. Guess this means I might actually unbox the TP and keep it because it appears now it may serve the purpose I was looking for.

silv3r4sh - great news that you can get the SD card reader to work. I'm quite the newbie with the HP TP (not even out of the box) - would it be possible to provide exactly what connectors/OTG/card reader you used, and how to get the TP to recognize the SD reader? There's a lot of info in this thread and I just don't want to get one step confused with the other. Thank you so much! This is just the fix I was looking for as I dabble in photography and it would be great to be able to just hook up an SD reader and review my photos on location.

And thank you to everyone in this thread for all your time and effort trying new ways to get the TP to accomplish different tasks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    I bought this y cable above and don't need it-OTG and USB port with external power works fine for me. If anyone wants it, just pm me and I will drop it in the mail for you today or tomorrow for my $5 cost (I will pay mail charges).

enjoy.
    So what hardware and/or software mods do I need to get this working? Sorry I'm a noob and other noobs need a condensed instructions.

Thanks!
    skphoto likes this.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Here's a complete breakdown of my setup with links, this is portable, works for usb drives, card readers, and let's me see cameras and wifi cards in lsusb

This
    Amazon.com: Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Nokia N810 / Nokia N900, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9. New Version with more accommodating "L" shaped connector! - Better than Motorola Camera Connection Kit!: Electronics

Into this
    Amazon.com: USB A Male to Male Power and Sync Y Cable for 2.5 inch Drives: Electronics

With with this in for power(outlasted lawrence of arabia)
    Amazon.com: Duracell - Powerhouse Charger, Universal Cable w/USB & Mini-USB: Office Products

And with this it can power three flash drives at once, probably all four but a fourth flash drive requires searching
    Amazon.com: Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub F5U407: Electronics

Two of these help everything connect
    Amazon.com: Bluecell 3 Pack USB Female to Female Type A Coupler Adapter + Bluecell Cable Tie: Electronics

I think this can be condensed to a package about the size of a card deck, this is with a 32gig flash drive hooked up.
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...t/DSC04768.jpg

The whole setup with a shiny new wireless adapter cost around 50 bucks but all the cables are useful to have and any usb hub should work. The most expensive part is the duracell pack but without portability usb hosting seemed kind of pointless.
    Last edited by bable; 09/20/2011 at 10:54 PM.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    jbennett likes this.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I coulda sworn I hit the edit button... Damn my meaty fingers. Has anyone tried ndiswrapper in chroot or have any tips with loading new hardware? Does chroot change anything in the process? lsusb recognizes everything I plug in and pointers of where to poke next would be much appreciated. Also, how difficult would it be to make an app/button that would avoid using xterm to mount usb drives? All it would have to do is run the mount command and maybe link to the folder in internalz, it would unlock a very cool feature to the masses. I'm playing with a TL-WN722n wireless adapter, if anyone gets this working let me know how and what adapter you used.
    Last edited by bable; 09/20/2011 at 09:57 PM.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by spyroks View Post
    Would something like this work? It's self powered so it can be the truly portable solution on the go:
    CyberPower 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Rechargeable Battery Pack Review | High-Tech Chargers
    I know I posted this earlier but would this powered hub (with rechargeable batteries!) and a OTG cable work? 50 bucks (as bable stated above - thank you!) is a little steep for me for a rather elaborate setup. Can it be simpler, more portable so we can carry it with us and connect faster? I think the idea is to have it available when shooting photos outdoors and want to upload on Facebook or even view on the Tpad's gorgeous screen... Btw, the hub is VERY difficult to find, but if anyone is interested in trying it out I have a working link for buying it at around $23, shipping included. I think I might give it a try, even if I get no responses, lol. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spyroks View Post
    I know I posted this earlier but would this powered hub (with rechargeable batteries!) and a OTG cable work? 50 bucks (as bable stated above - thank you!) is a little steep for me for a rather elaborate setup. Can it be simpler, more portable so we can carry it with us and connect faster? I think the idea is to have it available when shooting photos outdoors and want to upload on Facebook or even view on the Tpad's gorgeous screen... Btw, the hub is VERY difficult to find, but if anyone is interested in trying it out I have a working link for buying it at around $23, shipping included. I think I might give it a try, even if I get no responses, lol. Thanks!
    Without the battery pack(can be built for 5$) and wireless adapter it's under 20 bucks with everything prime worthy so there's free 2 day shipping. Tomorrow I plan to test out containers, once everything's connected minus the hub it's just two usb heads and a power button and should be a little bigger than a deck of cards. I think any hub will work with the Y-adapter with separate power, I just got the cheapest USB hub I could find.
    Last edited by bable; 09/20/2011 at 10:13 PM.
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 ... LastLast