Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Size of a small radioshack project box I'd guess, or bigger for those with meaty fingers. On the software side what might be involved with loading drivers? Simply get the device recognized in chroot and load them regularly? I'm mainly interested in hooking up a juicy new network adapter
    My brain is fried from a very long day... So I want that OTR cable connected to a y cable one that leads to power and one to the peripheral, can I just got straight into a powered hub? If not, wouldn't I need F/F genderbender too? The male to power and the female to the device? Am I so brain dead tonight that I'm asking questions with obvious answers?
    You need the OTG adapter to powered hub and you just be good. Why? If you have a powered hub you shouldn't need the y-cable because it would connect whatever you want to connect to and a power source. The powered hub would do both and you could power several deceives with it. I hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4theposter View Post
    you are linking to a Mini USB cable while the TP uses Micro USB
    Sorry, my bad. I mixed things up in my brain. I was meaning to link to this:

USB Host OTG Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy S II 2 S2 | eBay

Thanks for the clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    You need the OTG adapter to powered hub and you just be good. Why? If you have a powered hub you shouldn't need the y-cable because it would connect whatever you want to connect to and a power source. The powered hub would do both and you could power several deceives with it. I hope that helps.
    This is only true for hubs with powered upstreams. Powered upstreams hubs are not that common. For a normal powered hub you need a OTG adapter, a y-cable with power applied separately. If you apply power to the hub as well you can mount both a flash drive and usb keyboard. I am using power to my hub so I can mount multiple devices. Without the y-cable my powered hub will not work. The powered hub pictured elsewhere in this thread is a powered upstream hub. Again powered upstream hubs are vary rare. With power to the hub most hubs will still need power to a y-cable as well.
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    can i use a portable power usb battery? i connect one part of the y-cable to the portable power.. will it work?
    I have a few of these lying around: i-UP3600 Plus battery packs:

If I used a micro USB OTG Adapter cable out of the TP, then attached this Y cable's male ends to the OTG cable and the battery pack, and the one female end is for receiving my card reader...could that work?

New USB Female to 2 USB A Male Power Y Cable Extension | eBay
    Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    Sorry, my bad. I mixed things up in my brain. I was meaning to link to this:

USB Host OTG Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy S II 2 S2 | eBay

Thanks for the clarification
    Yep go for that one Musouka!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchPadFan View Post
    I have a few of these lying around: i-UP3600 Plus battery packs:

If I used a micro USB OTG Adapter cable out of the TP, then attached this Y cable's male ends to the OTG cable and the battery pack, and the one female end is for receiving my card reader...could that work?

New USB Female to 2 USB A Male Power Y Cable Extension | eBay
    That's what I'll be testing as soon as my OTG cable gets here. I planned to power a hub between the card reader and OTG.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Tried to read external seagate goflex drive and dynex card reader
    In all cases mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb returns error:
    mounting /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb failed: No such file or directory

mount dev/sda also failed

Any ideas?

Setup:
    Used y cable hooked up to laptop and OTG both to Kensington USB Hub and also tried with D-Link DUBH7

Noticed that OTG into phone registered as phone charging with either hub as long as y cable was hooked up to computer (even though both hubs had external power, phone did not register charging until y cable was involved)

I am logged on as user root@TTouchpad:/var/home/root#
    (did the ubuntu easy install). Could that be the problem?

Any ideas?

Setup:

Used y cable hooked up to laptop and OTG both to Kensington USB Hub and also tried with D-Link DUBH7

Noticed that OTG into phone registered as phone charging with either hub as long as y cable was hooked up to computer (even though both hubs had external power, phone did not register charging until y cable was involved)

Did you create the usb directory in /media/internal? That seems the most likely problem. *You can actually mount it anywhere you want, you just have to make sure the directory you create is the one you use in the mount command.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/16/2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Did you create the usb directory in /media/internal? That seems the most likely problem. *You can actually mount it anywhere you want, you just have to make sure the directory you create is the one you use in the mount command.

Plugged touchpad into laptop and created usb folder. The computer will only let you write to media/internal, yes? Checking internalz pro, it is under media/internal as a folder.

So I can be a user and don't have to login as admin to mount? The ubuntu easy install I think turns us into users.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Plugged touchpad into laptop and created usb folder. The computer will only let you write to media/internal, yes? Checking internalz pro, it is under media/internal as a folder.

So I can be a user and don't have to login as admin to mount? The ubuntu easy install I think turns us into users.
    I'm not familiar with the ubuntu install (though I want to explore it). If you created the at the top level while in usb mode, it should be /media/internal/usb. Make sure you can see that directory from your terminal window. The error message makes it look like it's not there. cd to /media/internal and run "ls -l" and look for it. If not there just type "mkdir usb"

Any ideas?

Setup:

Are you sure that the files are at that mount point? (I mean is anything in /dev/sda1 OR dev/sda)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschroeder1947 View Post
    This is only true for hubs with powered upstreams. Powered upstreams hubs are not that common. For a normal powered hub you need a OTG adapter, a y-cable with power applied separately. If you apply power to the hub as well you can mount both a flash drive and usb keyboard. I am using power to my hub so I can mount multiple devices. Without the y-cable my powered hub will not work. The powered hub pictured elsewhere in this thread is a powered upstream hub. Again powered upstream hubs are vary rare. With power to the hub most hubs will still need power to a y-cable as well.
    I forgot about the upstream part!
    I'm not familiar with the ubuntu install (though I want to explore it). If you created the at the top level while in usb mode, it should be /media/internal/usb. Make sure you can see that directory from your terminal window. The error message makes it look like it's not there. cd to /media/internal and run "ls -l" and look for it. If not there just type "mkdir usb"
    Yes, usb folder is seen in terminal and also in file manager for ubuntu.

I am not sure about dev/sda1--is this the way to identify the seagate goflex external drive or the card reader?

Googling the error message, I see a lot of different responses. Do I need certain drivers installed?

I am not sure about dev/sda1--is this the way to identify the seagate goflex external drive or the card reader?

Googling the error message, I see a lot of different responses. Do I need certain drivers installed?
    /dev/sda1 is where the first partition of the first disk drive would (generally) show up if the device is recognized by the OS. *Did you try a thumb drive? That's the simplest device and known to work. *

/dev/sda1 is where the first partition of the first disk drive would (generally) show up if the device is recognized by the OS. *Did you try a thumb drive? That's the simplest device and known to work. *

Putting in a thumb drive:

It only lights up if the upstream port of the powered hub is connected to the laptop [and then it shows on the laptop as a flashdrive], it does not light up if one of the Y cable ends is connected to the laptop instead of the upstream port.
    Still getting no such file or directory on the TouchPad.

Wondering if OTG cable is the problem.
    In either case (whether y is connected to laptop, or upstream hub to laptop, the pre battery registers as charging when plugged into OTG)

OTG cable used was this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Host...bosnation0e-20

Is your seagate goflex formatted to NTFS? If so, I don't think there's NTFS support on TP yet.
    i bought an adapter like the one in the post, and it works with every device except my touchpad. ive even tried it with a usb Y split cable and i still cant get to work. any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by fosshilde View Post
    Is your seagate goflex formatted to NTFS? If so, I don't think there's NTFS support on TP yet.
    Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    There you go, your file system is probably not supported.
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast