Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by darkeru View Post
    I was able to view the picture I had on the usb drive, I couldn't figure out how to get Kalemsoft to recognize the folder, maybe I could copy the media to the touchpad to watch it.

I really don't know much about Linux so I just followed the screen capture that izzeho posted on page 3, it was pretty detailed, credit really goes to him.

Here is a pic a took earlier, Its just a powered hub that the otg cable is hooked up to.
    The reason this one works without y cable is that it is one of the few that sends power backup the upstream cable to the tp.

I just got my 16gb Corsair Flash Voyager Drive and my 8gb Transcend to mount and play using an OTG usb micro male usb A female adapter with y cable hooked to an unplugged belkin usb hub. One leg of the y cable was in the OTG adapter, the power only leg was plugged into AC "Wireless" brand 5v==1A adapter I had and the mini usb leg of the y was plugged into the hub.

I created a "usb" directory using Internalz Pro in the /media/internal/ directory.

I previously installed Xecutah through preware which also installed Xserver and Xterm. Note: I had to add a link to these files for preware to find them plus add my own name for it. Googled for this information.

I ran Xecutah, then started XServer (non interface server on the tb), switched back to Xecutah and ran xTerm, then switch back to XServer which now allowed input.

I used my bluetooth keyboard to type "mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb". The I typed "ls /lsmedia/internal/usb to see my files on the flash drive inserted into the hub. Note: the hub light was on to show power from my Wireless the flash drive port was lite plus the flash drive itself was blinking.

I then used the app "TouchPlayer" to find an mp4 file on the drive and play it. My Kalemsoft trial has run out. Photos & Videos was unable to find the flash drive. Internlaz Pro showed nothing in the directory.

Can we use fstab file to auto mount this directory that we created? Can I put the alias command somewhere to help find it? New to WebOS, so any help appreciated.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    i have two separate external drives, a portable 40gb and a 1tb externally powered drives. i tried connecting the 1tb externally powered disk but it wouldnt mount, but shall try and portable one which can be externally powered too. would this be expected to work please? I am not using a usb otg cable but connecting using usb female/female connector...
    Have you received your items - and do they work?
    Has anyone tested the Nokia Adapter Cable for USB OTG CA-157 - or knows, wheather this will successfully work with the HP Touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by darkeru View Post
    Here's a screen capture of my terminal.
    This was exactly my plan to test, good to see it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisisme-again View Post
    Has anyone tested the Nokia Adapter Cable for USB OTG CA-157 - or knows, wheather this will successfully work with the HP Touchpad?
    I wouldn't recommend the Nokia OTG adaptor, funny thing I just sent my one back today as I realised the micro USB port is proprietary to Nokia devices. Your milage may very, but I had to settle for playing a little more for a standard one on ebay.
    This might work as an on the go SD card reader.
    NEW POWER BATTERY BOOSTER SD CARD READER TRAVEL CHARGER | eBay
    Just tried it and it didn't fit. The Nokia cable is just fractionally too small (the whole in the middle of the micro usb end).

@Viperian86 - nice find, shame it's only micro SD. I have no idea if it'll work though
    Last edited by TouchPadFan; 09/15/2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Addition
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkfu View Post
    I wouldn't recommend the Nokia OTG adaptor, funny thing I just sent my one back today as I realised the micro USB port is proprietary to Nokia devices. Your milage may very, but I had to settle for playing a little more for a standard one on ebay.
    Which OTG adapter could you recommend instead?
    What about cameras? they carry their own power.

Is it therefore possible to mount the SD card in a camera using an OTG cable as it carries its own power source?
    Which OTG adapter could you recommend instead?
    If UK: Micro USB Host OTG Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2/SII | eBay

If US: Micro-B USB Host OTG Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2/SII | eBay

These are avoiding importing from HK, etc. I just found these quickly, so try find a better deal if you can.

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Easybeat View Post
    What about cameras? they carry their own power.

Is it therefore possible to mount the SD card in a camera using an OTG cable as it carries its own power source?
    If have tried doing this using a homemade OTG cable (got a proper one in the post however) and the camera didn't budge. Not sure but I believe the camera requires power in order to switch to storage mount. Perhaps others have had success?
    oooh, this sounds like a hardware hack that i might be capable of working with.

So, if I'm understanding this properly, what we need to make this work, then, is a USB OTG cable, with a micro-usb male to plug into the touchpad, and a standard usb female, to plug device(s) into it? And then we need constant voltage at +5v going to. . . both?

For the people using powered hubs, are you needing to use a specific hub that is built for OTG also?

and what we have working so far are keyboards and usb sticks .. anything else of interest?

*thinks of things around the house that are USB.. keyboard x 6, mouse x 8, x-box controller x 4, old-*** web-cam, sony e-reader, ipod, iphone, dumbphones x 4, second touchpad .. * hmm. not much that i can think of that i can do with this, other than storage mounting.

If I'm understanding the solution properly here, I'm thinking we could build this all into a very small box with a built in SD-slot, and put a tail on it to connect to the touchpad.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    If I understood it right, I have to look for an USB OTG adapter for a Samsung phone, correct?
    If I understood it right, I have to look for an USB OTG adapter for a Samsung phone, correct?
    Not particularly Samsung phones, just as long as they have a standard micro-usb port on one end, your sorted. I got caught out with the Nokia adapter and found they are proprietary to oldish Nokia devices. The Samsungs were just a good choice looking through ebay.
    @eblade...yes you could but you would just need a power supply in it and it wouldn't be that small.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    @eblade...yes you could but you would just need a power supply in it and it wouldn't be that small.
    Size of a small radioshack project box I'd guess, or bigger for those with meaty fingers. On the software side what might be involved with loading drivers? Simply get the device recognized in chroot and load them regularly? I'm mainly interested in hooking up a juicy new network adapter
    My brain is fried from a very long day... So I want that OTR cable connected to a y cable one that leads to power and one to the peripheral, can I just got straight into a powered hub? If not, wouldn't I need F/F genderbender too? The male to power and the female to the device? Am I so brain dead tonight that I'm asking questions with obvious answers?
    Last edited by bable; 09/15/2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: For poopin, silly.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by Viperian86 View Post
    This might work as an on the go SD card reader.
    NEW POWER BATTERY BOOSTER SD CARD READER TRAVEL CHARGER | eBay
    Wow, that looks really promising !!! The only thing it does is allow mass storage (micro SD) but would be pretty awsum. It supplies power upstream via micro usb, the question is whether this would work in a OTG usb port. I didn't follow the cable/pin discussions very closely. Maybe someone who understands that could look into this device to see if it would work. Thanks Viperian !
    Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    you are linking to a Mini USB cable while the TP uses Micro USB
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast