Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dgf2002 View Post
    watching thread with interest to see how many devices will actually work.

perhaps a list of success posts could be linked into top thread.
    Me too; and good idea. Another idea would be to post a schematic or connection diagram. And a list of known good parts for each leg of the setup; e.g. which Hubs don't require a Y cable.

I believe the biggest issue, as I understand it, is supplying 5V back to the Touchpad because devices normally expect 5V to be sent to them and therefore they don't send anything back. Is that correct? That's what the Y cable is for right?

One other thing I would like to see is if it is possible to eliminate the Hub from the setup i.e. just cables and a flash drive. Or as others have said, just cables and a camera.
    I have an idea for a 5v power source that would be portable. USB backup batteries:

2600mAh Universal External Backup Battery

7800mAh Universal External Backup Battery

I'm not sure how long they'd run a hard drive or any other device with moving parts, but for getting a little bit of power to peripherals or a flash drive I think either of those would work. The 2600mAh model for a measly $14 would be excellent. Its also quite small. The 7800mAh model even has a 2amp charging port for tablets (specifically the iPad but I would assume that any tablet would work).

There are others that are a little bit smaller (such as this one), but they have micro and mini usb connections, and I can't seem to find ANY micro-usb female to usb-A male adapters, so it'd be impossible to connect them to a standard USB cable.

If I wanted to use a 16Gb flash drive on my touchpad just for media storage (movies, shows), would I need to get something like this, along with a micro-USB OTG to USB-A female adapter and a Y-splitter to go to the battery and the flash drive? Is there any way that a flash drive would work without external power, or is there absolutely none supplied by the touchpad, even with an OTG adapter?
    I've been following this thread as well hoping to find someone who get this working easily with a clean setup. Also, hoping someone makes a homebrew app that auto-mounts new devices and links them so that any app can use, as asking my wife to open 3 programs in a certain order and enter a few commands or run a script in a term windows is asking a lot.

The primary goal for us is to quickly and easily pull pics from our camera to show at events.

The parts I was also looking at trying to piece together are:

OTG Adapter

2600mAh Universal External Backup Battery

Y-Cable
    Interesting stuff... Unfortuantely I haven't got a touchpad but a friend mentioned the desire to do this so just wanted to share some past experiences with USB OTG as I've been down this road a few years ago with Nokia.

Sounds like the touchpad is in exactly the same situation as the original Nokia 770 Internet Tablet was when it comes to USB OTG. Possible, yes, easy to do, not so much. I think a lot of the development/custom cables and things have long since disappeared for that device (Nokia released the N800 + N810 that solved all the issues and had native software support), but might be worth looking at for reference/ideas about possible solutions.

I don't know why device manufacturers don't make full and proper USB OTG support a requirement these days... it adds a whole new level of practical use!
    This Micro USB Backup Battery(with pin 4 and 5 shorted) integrated with one or two additional female USB A ports would be the perfect adaptor for a flash drive or a keyboard. Wish some random chinese company makes that!
    All these Y cables and connectors are a bit messy.
    Last edited by heliokz; 09/14/2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Misunderstanding
    USB host mode - maemo.org wiki

in my opinion switching the usbport to host mode should enable power output from the touchpad, just like on the nokia device...

may someone try this?
    I just received my OTG cable and everything works great. I didn't use a Y-splitter, I just hooked up the OTG to the main usb cable on my powered hub and plugged in a keyboard to the hub. I also mounted a couple usb drives. Pretty easy now that I have the correct cable.
    Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > Pre- > Pixi > Franken Pre2 >
    TouchPad 32gb
    Pics or video please... Want to do the same but want to positive it's right.
    Not allowing the Touchpad to support USB devices like SD card readers
    and external hard drives was a calculated, deliberate marketing decision
    by HP/Palm/webOS. There is no technical reason for this. The Touchpad
    has plenty of space inside for a card reader and the USB port is already
    there.

I have a $15 Sandisk MP3 player that can take any micro-SD card that
    insert into it.(current using a 32GB micro-SD card that I bought for $27)
    Of course, Sandisk is a memory card manufacturer, so they have more
    incentive to allow you to use your cards.
    Here's a screen capture of my terminal.
    TouchPad 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by darkeru View Post
    Nicely done, did you have any troubles playing the media on it?
    Just got my OTG cable and will be glad to test with the card reader that I ironically bought for my Treo.

Can you please confirm that the screen shot of the terminal you posted contains all the instructions to correctly mount the card reader? Or if not, can someone post the instructions please?

Thanks.
    Darkeru, while the screen shot is nice what everyone wants to see is the cabling setup. Can you take a pic of that?

And there was talk that a usb hub wouldn't work because it needs the Y cable, is there something special about the hub you are using? Make/model?

Thanks for the great work !!!
    I was able to view the picture I had on the usb drive, I couldn't figure out how to get Kalemsoft to recognize the folder, maybe I could copy the media to the touchpad to watch it.

I really don't know much about Linux so I just followed the screen capture that izzeho posted on page 3, it was pretty detailed, credit really goes to him.

Here is a pic a took earlier, Its just a powered hub that the otg cable is hooked up to.
    Last edited by darkeru; 09/15/2011 at 02:17 AM.
    TouchPad 32gb
    I was able to view the picture I had on the usb drive, I couldn't figure out how to get Kalemsoft to recognize the folder, maybe I could copy the media to the touchpad to watch it.

I really don't know much about Linux so I just followed the screen capture that izzeho posted on page 3, it was pretty detailed, credit really goes to him.

Here is a pic a took earlier, Its just a powered hub that the otg cable is hooked up to.
    but can internalz see it?
    I'm getting a otg cable just to test this out...
    internalz could see everything just fine, I was using it to double check everything was working.
    TouchPad 32gb
    internalz could see everything just fine, I was using it to double check everything was working.
    then can it open the files using its own movie player and picture viewer?
    internalz could open the pictures but I couldn't get the stock picture and video viewer to work. I dont know if internalz has video playback? I know I can use internalz to copy files to and from the usb drive so I'll try that next
    TouchPad 32gb
    internalz could open the pictures but I couldn't get the stock picture and video viewer to work. I dont know if internalz has video playback? I know I can use internalz to copy files to and from the usb drive so I'll try that next
    for me it has the ability to play files although that might be touchplayer being seen as the default handler of video files...

as for the default viewer not seeing it that might be because the indexer doesn't check unless you downloaded something (which initates the Luna download manager) or disconnected the TouchPad from a pc at least that's my experience...
    Could not find instructions on the web for how to mount Dynex mini-memory multi-card DX-CRMN1 reader bought from BestBuy, if anyone has thoughts, let me know.
    I assume I would use X-term var/home/root#.