Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    You then connect the OTG into the device, the Y cable at the 2 prong ends goes in to the Touchpad and a power source and at the other end you connect the peripheral.
    Couple of questions:

Can the power source be the usb charging cylinder that came with the touchpad so I can charge the touchpad and power a usb stick at the same time?

Is a usb device automatically recognized and accessible by kalemsoft and touchplayer for movie files or is something else required from precentral? *Edit: You mentioned symlink, what does that mean?

Does a usb drive need to be formatted in fat32 for it to work?

And lastly a stupid question; can the power connection be connected to any of the 3 ports on the y cable or does it have to be the short branch off cable?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTV_FTW View Post
    Couple of questions:

Can the power source be the usb charging cylinder that came with the touchpad so I can charge the touchpad and power a usb stick at the same time?

Is a usb device automatically recognized and accessible by kalemsoft and touchplayer for movie files or is something else required from precentral? *Edit: You mentioned symlink, what does that mean?

And lastly a stupid question; can the power connection be connected to any of the 3 ports on the y cable or does it have to be the short branch off cable?

Thanks
    Great questions, I'd still like to know if a camera will be automatically detected for transfer of pictures if connected by this method.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTV_FTW View Post
    Couple of questions:

I can see why not. It really just needs ay sort of power at 5v.

No it isn't automatic, you'd need to mount it manually in terminal (for now). And symlink refers to a way to link one folder to another folder (sort of like a shortcut in windows only far more functional).

Any filesystem Linux supports should work fine. NTFS probably should even work with a patch.

It depends on the cable (and the power supply), but normally the short fork only has the 2 pins (power) connected, so wouldn't work for anything else.
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Is anybody still playing around with this or made any progress?
    If someone had more concrete evidence that the OTG function works with external thumb drives I would go ahead and get the self powered USB hub and try it but as of now I don't want to waste money on something that's still doubtful that it works - I wish someone could give the green light! Thanks to all for this great info btw : )

(My university work USB, in hindsight probably wasn't a wise test device for unstable mounting)
    Quote Originally Posted by spyroks View Post
    If someone had more concrete evidence that the OTG function works with external thumb drives I would go ahead and get the self powered USB hub and try it but as of now I don't want to waste money on something that's still doubtful that it works - I wish someone could give the green light! Thanks to all for this great info btw : )
    spyroks, did you look at this post that is on the 3rd page?
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    spyroks, did you look at this post that is on the 3rd page?
    Just to sum up in translation (assuming he just didn't understand the output):

USB sticks work fine, you'll just have to mount it manually in terminal.

Thank you for clarifying that, I am not sure on how to do this, I know how to get around but this sounds a bit out of my league, any details? Thanks again : )
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

How do you pull up a terminal in webOS? If I had ubuntu installed would the usb drive or terminal be automatically detected?
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    How do you pull up a terminal in webOS? If I had ubuntu installed would the usb drive or terminal be automatically detected?
    Get Xecutah, XServer and XTerm from preware.
    I have this Kensington hub (see below) that is plugged into an external power source.

What else would I need to buy to have the TouchPad read an external card reader via the Kensington hub?

If it is available at radioshack, verizon or monoprice.com, I will get it now.
    (if you see it at monoprice and could supply the link, I would appreciate it).

Thanks.

Amazon.com: Kensington DomeHub 7-port USB 2.0 Hub with FlyLight: Electronics

edit: bought this below for the OTG cable as seller seems to ship fast and I'm hoping for a solution in 12 days so I can leave laptop at home on trip. Any suggestions for getting the Y cable in the US?
    I assume I will need a Y for the Kensington and I will have to plug both ends into the Kensington (and then the Kensington has a power source into the wall) is that right?

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Host.../B005GGBYJ4%3F
    Last edited by bluenote; 09/11/2011 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I have this Kensington hub (see below) that is plugged into an external power source.

What else would I need to buy to have the TouchPad read an external card reader via the Kensington hub?

If it is available at radioshack, verizon or monoprice.com, I will get it now.
    (if you see it at monoprice and could supply the link, I would appreciate it).

Thanks.

Amazon.com: Kensington DomeHub 7-port USB 2.0 Hub with FlyLight: Electronics

edit: bought this below for the OTG cable as seller seems to ship fast and I'm hoping for a solution in 12 days so I can leave laptop at home on trip. Any suggestions for getting the Y cable in the US?
    I assume I will need a Y for the Kensington and I will have to plug both ends into the Kensington (and then the Kensington has a power source into the wall) is that right?

Amazon.com: Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Nokia N810 / Nokia N900, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9. New Version with more accommodating "L" shaped connector! - Better than Motorola Camera Connection Kit!: Electronics
    $33 and $10 seems kinda steep
    why don't you get these for less than $5 and $2
    7 Port USB 2.0 High-Speed HUB Powered + AC Adapter Free | eBay
    Last edited by gergev; 10/27/2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: wrong cable
    Would using a micro usb to usb adapter/cable and then plugging in a usb to SD card adapter (with SD card in) allow me to access the photos and stuff on the SD if I navigate to the host folder in internalz? Just wanna know before I go and get an adapter. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    I already have the Kensington 7 port hub in the house(I actually bought it used for $6 plus shipping)

I'm willing to pay more for the OTG cable because I need it now for the upcoming trip and the ones from ebay are coming from China. Seller already sent email that it shipped.

I just bought this below for the Y cable, can someone please confirm this is the right setup and I can indeed plug back into the Kensington for power as the video showed a person plugging into laptop for power and that is no good for me as I would like to leave the laptop at home?
    Amazon.com: OEM UTStarcom Universal Y Adapter USB Data Cable With Two Male & One Female Connector: Cell Phones & Accessories

ps Many thanks for your help, Gergev.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bluenote; 09/11/2011 at 05:27 PM.
    I already have the Kensington 7 port hub in the house(I actually bought it used for $6 plus shipping)

I'm willing to pay more for the OTG cable because I need it now for the upcoming trip and the ones from ebay are coming from China. Seller already sent email that it shipped.

I just bought this below for the Y cable, can someone please confirm this is the right setup and I can indeed plug back into the Kensington for power as the video showed a person plugging into laptop for power and that is no good for me as I would like to leave the laptop at home?
    Amazon.com: OEM UTStarcom Universal Y Adapter USB Data Cable With Two Male & One Female Connector: Cell Phones & Accessories
    If I'm reading about that Kensington hub correctly, it is powered by AC, yes? If so the Y cable shouldn't be necessary. You'll just be able to hook the touchpad (and peripherals) into the hub and be good to go. So all you really need is a usb male to male cable (to go from the OTG cable to the hub, I suppose the Y cable could serve that purpose, just leaving the 3rd branch unconnected or as extra power.)

EDIT: That OTG cable gergev posted WILL NOT work, it's Micro AB which the touchpad won't take. The Y cable you selected also won't work, you need male on all 3 prongs.

Something like this would work:
    http://www.amazon.com/Male-Power-Syn...5782551&sr=1-4

Quote Originally Posted by zybor View Post
    Would using a micro usb to usb adapter/cable and then plugging in a usb to SD card adapter (with SD card in) allow me to access the photos and stuff on the SD if I navigate to the host folder in internalz? Just wanna know before I go and get an adapter. Thanks.
    It depends on the cable for a start, OTG spec cables require the 5th pin be shorted to ground, only OTG specced cables will do this.

It will also not just show up in internalz, you will have to mount it through terminal first (which won't be too difficult if you do a bit of Googling) and then it'll show up wherever you mount it in internalz.
    Last edited by izzeho; 09/11/2011 at 06:12 PM.
    It depends on the cable for a start, OTG spec cables require the 5th pin be shorted to ground, only OTG specced cables will do this.

It will also not just show up in internalz, you will have to mount it through terminal first (which won't be too difficult if you do a bit of Googling) and then it'll show up wherever you mount it in internalz.
    As only OTG cables work (I'm guessing touchpad doesn't recognise device when non-OTG cable used?) and just looking back in the thread, I take it shorting requires some soldering? And I'm sure my google skills are up to finding out how to mount.
    If I'm reading about that Kensington hub correctly, it is powered by AC, yes? If so the Y cable shouldn't be necessary. You'll just be able to hook the touchpad (and peripherals) into the hub and be good to go. So all you really need is a usb male to male cable (to go from the OTG cable to the hub, I suppose the Y cable could serve that purpose, just leaving the 3rd branch unconnected or as extra power.)

EDIT: That OTG cable gergev posted WILL NOT work, it's Micro AB which the touchpad won't take. The Y cable you selected also won't work, you need male on all 3 prongs.

Amazon.com: USB A Male to Male Power and Sync Y Cable for 2.5 inch Drives: Electronics

Yes, Kensington hub is powered by AC.
    For y cable, I followed your recommendation to cancel what I bought, thanks, and I bought instead:
    Amazon.com: USB A Male to Male Power and Sync Y Cable for 2.5 inch Drives: Electronics

For OTG, I bought
    Amazon.com: Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Nokia N810 / Nokia N900, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9. New Version with more accommodating "L" shaped connector! - Better than Motorola Camera Connection Kit!: Electronics

If this all looks good, I'll check back-in later this week when the items come.

thanks.
    Yes, Kensington hub is powered by AC.
    For y cable, I followed your recommendation to cancel what I bought, thanks, and I bought instead:

For OTG, I bought

If this all looks good, I'll check back-in later this week when the items come.

thanks.
    Looks good, in theory, I can't say for certain whether it'll work or not, there haven't really been too many people that have tried so far (I imagine they are all waiting for their OTG cables to arrive and then we'll have a huge burst of testers).

Quote Originally Posted by zybor View Post
    As only OTG cables work (I'm guessing touchpad doesn't recognise device when non-OTG cable used?) and just looking back in the thread, I take it shorting requires some soldering? And I'm sure my google skills are up to finding out how to mount.
    Soldering a regular microUSB cable, or just buying a cable that is stated as OTG as these are pre-soldered (if that's the correct way of putting it).
    [QUOTE=izzeho;3148224]If I'm reading about that Kensington hub correctly, it is powered by AC, yes? If so the Y cable shouldn't be necessary. You'll just be able to hook the touchpad (and peripherals) into the hub and be good to go. So all you really need is a usb male to male cable (to go from the OTG cable to the hub, I suppose the Y cable could serve that purpose, just leaving the 3rd branch unconnected or as extra power.)

EDIT: The Y cable you selected also won't work, you need male on all 3 prongs.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Male-Power-Sync-Cable-Drives/dp/B002ZUV9IK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315782551&sr=1-0+QUOTE&tag=webosnation0e-20]

looks like I was not able to cancel the first y cable and I will get it probably tomorrow along with the otg, the second y has not even shipped yet. You wrote above that I could use the first y because the usb hub has ac. Was that incorrect? Edit: I suppose I could go to radioshack and buy something to turn that female into a male.
    Last edited by bluenote; 09/13/2011 at 07:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    watching thread with interest to see how many devices will actually work.

perhaps a list of success posts could be linked into top thread.
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast