Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    @izzeho - just to confirm....should only the micro end be shorted 4/5?

essentially i connected two female cables from a motherboard USB add-on card like this

Last edited by cobra; 09/04/2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: edit missed your post explaining it exactly
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    You're right it should be fine. All I can say is that i've had experience with a USB keyboard that wouldn't work in bios, but was fine when the OS booted. While another different brand KB worked perfectly for both.
    I've had a couple experiences using usb keyboards on laptops that changed the settings of the internal keyboard making it unusable when the usb was unplugged. It was caused by using Fn on the usb keyboard. Recovery is simple if you know the proper key combo, but finding the key combo is time consuming. I don't know if the TP will be affected the same way, but I'd stay away from the Fn key if I plugged a usb keyboard into one.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    Is it possible to power the usb with a custom kernel?
    I'm also interested in knowing if power can be redirected from battery to micro usb port via kernel/patch. So when you go to dump some of your friends albums, you don't show up with a mess of hacks and cables to get the job down. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubskey View Post
    I'm also interested in knowing if power can be redirected from battery to micro usb port via kernel/patch. So when you go to dump some of your friends albums, you don't show up with a mess of hacks and cables to get the job down. Lol.
    Well if kernal support can't activate it I'm sure a hardware mod would be relatively simple... Does the TP battery output 5 volts?
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    @izzeho - just to confirm....should only the micro end be shorted 4/5?

essentially i connected two female cables from a motherboard USB add-on card like this

You'll find if you look at the link I posted the pin 4 (which is the ID/sense pin) is unconnected and there is only 4 pins (and 4 wires running the length of the cable) at the other end. So yes you'll only need to short it at the micro end.

This is also because the OTG spec says if your going to be peripheral the ID pin should be floating (i.e. unconnected) and this is usually why that pin is unconnected in micro usb cables.
    Hi there,

If I plug a camera (with USB mass storage mode), do I need an external power source and a Y-cable ? SInce the camera has its own battery, I guess not but I'm not sure. This in order to empty the camera on the touchpad.
    txultra likes this.
    I'd love to be able to connect my camera to my Touchpad and upload photos to Flickr while on vacation.

:-)

Cheers, Josh
    I'd like to ask, in layman's terms, what exactly is needed to accomplish plugging in a small, regular flash drive (those thumb or jump drives)

I have the OTG cable from the xoom, what else exactly do I need.
    I have hubs, adapters, all kinds of junk, but nothing works.

Specifically is it just a powered USB hub from any local store? and a genuine Y cable? plus the OTG?
    NO other modifications are needed? no DIY stuff?
    I know this might be a lame post, but the whole thread is kind of confusing to me.
    thanks
    maybe someone with more knowledge on the hardware end can validate the possibility of being able to manually switch the host mode such as in the case below without the need for the OTG cable?

See the "Manual role switching" section:
    http://www.harbaum.org/till/n800_usb/index.shtml

There is no musb_hdrc folder under /sys/dev/platform on the TP but I found the link below which mentions a msm_otg folder which does exist on the TP.

https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/qu...b402ad692d0ffa
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrinkley View Post
    I'd like to ask, in layman's terms, what exactly is needed to accomplish plugging in a small, regular flash drive (those thumb or jump drives)

I have the OTG cable from the xoom, what else exactly do I need.
    I have hubs, adapters, all kinds of junk, but nothing works.

Specifically is it just a powered USB hub from any local store? and a genuine Y cable? plus the OTG?
    NO other modifications are needed? no DIY stuff?
    I know this might be a lame post, but the whole thread is kind of confusing to me.
    thanks
    Did you watch the video? It's pretty self-explanatory. You definitely need a y cable for now until maybe homebrew can program a patch to deliver power to the USB slot.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    maybe someone with more knowledge on the hardware end can validate the possibility of being able to manually switch the host mode such as in the case below without the need for the OTG cable?

See the "Manual role switching" section:
    http://www.harbaum.org/till/n800_usb/index.shtml

There is no musb_hdrc folder under /sys/dev/platform on the TP but I found the link below which mentions a msm_otg folder which does exist on the TP.

https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/qu...b402ad692d0ffa
    Wow that's interesting. I'm gonna start writing host to every file under the directory I can find (as there is no mode option =/) and see what happens. The power/control toggle is of particular interest.
    Would something like this work? It's self powered so it can be the truly portable solution on the go:
    http://www.kokeygadgets.com/featured...y-pack-review/
    Looks like it but I'd wonder for how long it'd work
    With 4 rechargeable batteries even 5 hours, depending on usage of course, would be great, but it's just a guess. I hope it works, I can't seem to find anything similar, meaning self powered so you can take it with you fully charged and use with thumb drives, card readers and so on...
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    looking forward to layman clarification so as to know exactly what hub, y-cable to buy and what card readers, flash or hd drives and cams work. Congrats to wiring hacks, sadly thats above my skill and tool set.

thx for efforts and communication of developments.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgf2002 View Post
    looking forward to layman clarification so as to know exactly what hub, y-cable to buy and what card readers, flash or hd drives and cams work. Congrats to wiring hacks, sadly thats above my skill and tool set.

thx for efforts and communication of developments.
    Realistically all you need is a Y-Cable, a USB OTG cable, a hub (or a female to female USB adapter) and a power source (be it a laptop, desktop or some 5v regulated batteries).

OTG adapter:
    Micro USB On-The-Go Host OTG Adapter (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Female-Female:
    USB Cable Coupler Extension Connector - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Y Cable:
    USB Female to 2 USB A Male Power Extension Y Cable New | eBay
    (This actually performs the task of the female-female adapter as well as the USB port is female on one end).

You then connect the OTG into the device, the Y cable at the 2 prong ends goes in to the Touchpad and a power source and at the other end you connect the peripheral.
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    Wow that's interesting. I'm gonna start writing host to every file under the directory I can find (as there is no mode option =/) and see what happens. The power/control toggle is of particular interest.
    I would try exactly what it says since it will create the mode file if it does not exist. Perhaps if the file does not exist it treats the mode as peripheral. No idea if this will actually work, since the code shown was a patch for a different chip (8x50 rather than 8x60).
    Quote Originally Posted by afanofosc View Post
    I would try exactly what it says since it will create the mode file if it does not exist. Perhaps if the file does not exist it treats the mode as peripheral. No idea if this will actually work, since the code shown was a patch for a different chip (8x50 rather than 8x60).
    If you look at the patches to the linux kernel at the opensource.palm.com website

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/opensourc...35.patches.tgz

it looks like the msm_otg.c driver only supports host mode based on the ID pin. As far as I can tell it does not use the patch referenced above which allowed host mode to be selected via writing to /sys/devices/platform/msm_otg/mode

static inline int is_host(void)
    {
    int ret;

ret = (OTGSC_ID & readl(USB_OTGSC)) ? 0 : 1;
    return ret;
    }

The patch file contains msm_otg.c, msm_otg.h, and msm_otg.txt. Smarter people than me will need to sort out the power issue. There's a ton of information about power management in msm_otg.txt which I do not understand.

Here's one excerpt:

Following are the actions performed by the driver as per the ID state:
    * ID_FLOAT: Configure device to act as peripheral and allow charging if VBUS
    is present, else move it to LPM (low power mode).
    * ID_GROUND: Configure device to act as host and supply VBUS.
    * ID_A: Configure device to act as host and don't supply VBUS. In this state
    the device can charge as well.
    * ID_B: Keep the device in IDLE state and allow charging.
    * ID_C: Configure device to act as peripheral and allow charging.

hth
    The wikipedia article may also help. It describes 3 other states in addition to A or B (ground or floating)

USB On-The-Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OTG adds a fifth pin to the standard USB connector, called the ID-pin; the micro-A plug has the ID pin grounded, while the ID in the micro-B plug is floating. The device that has a micro-A plugged in becomes an OTG A-device, and the one that has micro-B plugged becomes a B-device. The type of the plug inserted is detected by the state of the pin ID .

Three additional ID pin states are defined[4] at the nominal resistance values of 124 kΩ, 68 kΩ, and 36.5 kΩ. These permit the device to work with a USB Accessory Charger Adapter which allows the OTG device to be attached to both a charger and another device simultaneously.[6] These three states are used in the cases of:
    A charger and either no device or an A-device that is not asserting VBUS (not providing power) are attached. The OTG device is allowed to charge and initiate SRP but not connect.[6]
    A charger and an A-device that is asserting VBUS (is providing power) are attached. The OTG device is allowed to charge and connect but not initiate SRP.[6]
    A charger and a B-device are attached. The OTG device is allowed to charge and enter host mode.[6]

So perhaps one of these resistance values on the ID pin will tell the HP Touchpad to be in the ID_GROUND state which apparently means it will act as host and supply VBUS.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    guys
    +1, love this thread, all I want it for is for mounting memory cards..

ideally : ROM Patches + OTG adaptor + sd card
    however if otg+Y cable+ battery pack is the only solution , so be it!

Angelo
    Angelo
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast