Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If that's the case, what's this (check under host negotiation protocol):

USB On-The-Go Basics - Maxim

I find it hard to believe that certain keyboards would be unsupported, since they all use the HID API. Then again, there's a standard for printers too and HP didn't seem to do it the easy way, so maybe they'll surprise me again here.
    You're right it should be fine. All I can say is that i've had experience with a USB keyboard that wouldn't work in bios, but was fine when the OS booted. While another different brand KB worked perfectly for both.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    If that's the case, what's this (check under host negotiation protocol):

USB On-The-Go Basics - Maxim

I find it hard to believe that certain keyboards would be unsupported, since they all use the HID API. Then again, there's a standard for printers too and HP didn't seem to do it the easy way, so maybe they'll surprise me again here.
    All posters to this thread should update to reflect if a USB OTG cable was used or not before mouthing off that the findings couldn't be replicated.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    All posters to this thread should update to reflect if a USB OTG cable was used or not before mouthing off that the findings couldn't be replicated.
    That is not only unnecessary, but the original poster (and founder) only used a basic micro-usb to female usb adapter.

If I have time later I'll rig up a DIY USB OTG cable (that is assuming there IS anything different, and a quick look at that article has me believe the only difference is internal), but I very much doubt it'll make any difference.

EDIT: Yep, as I suspected, it's identical:
    When attached to a PC an OTG device requires a cable which has a USB Standard-A plug on one end and a Micro-B plug on the other end. In order to attach a peripheral to an OTG device the peripheral either needs to have a cable ending in a Micro-A plug which is inserted into the OTG device's Micro-AB receptacle or the OTG device itself needs an adapter cable which has a Micro-A plug on one end and a Standard-A receptacle on the other. The adapter cable enables any standard USB peripheral to be attached to an OTG device. In order to attach two OTG devices together requires either a cable with a Micro-B plug at one end and a Micro-A plug at the other or can be achieved using a combination of the PC cable and adapter cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by izzeho View Post
    That is not only unnecessary, but the original poster (and founder) only used a basic micro-usb to female usb adapter.

If I have time later I'll rig up a DIY USB OTG cable (that is assuming there IS anything different, and a quick look at that article has me believe the only difference is internal), but I very much doubt it'll make any difference.

EDIT: Yep, as I suspected, it's identical:
    And yet it's not working for you, and the original poster specifically mentions a MicroUSB OTG cable. Hmmm...
    And yet it's not working for you, and the original poster specifically mentions a MicroUSB OTG cable. Hmmm...
    Is it working for ANYONE other than the OP? I'm pretty sure I've so far seen 1 working, 4 not working. Law of percentages would suggest I'm right, and he's done something funny. Regardless I'm going to try with my powered hub at work tomorrow and another keyboard and see how that goes.
    Last edited by izzeho; 09/04/2011 at 05:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I don't think the problem lies in the micro USB cable. I think its not using a powered hub that sends 5v down the input USB port, connected to the touchpad. Most hubs only provide power to just the peripheral side. He mentions in the video to use a hub that provides power on the "upstream"? That's maybe what he was referring too.
    The hints from the author of video:
    1. you need OTG cable, where the ID pin is shorted to provide Touuchpad a hint that you want usb host mode.
    2. you need "Y" cable to provide power to upstream port.
    Alright I've actually bothered to have a sit down and read through USB OTG specs sheet and it does seem there is a fifth pin added for the spec. Essentially it is floating on the slave and grounded on the host. If micro-usb wasn't so dang small I'd just solder on a fifth pin connected direct to ground, but I don't like my chances. Guess I'll order one in.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanD View Post
    The hints from the author of video:
    1. you need OTG cable, where the ID pin is shorted to provide Touuchpad a hint that you want usb host mode.
    Not shorted, but grounded (although I suppose it depends your definition of shorted).

Quote Originally Posted by vdubskey View Post
    I don't think the problem lies in the micro USB cable. I think its not using a powered hub that sends 5v down the input USB port, connected to the touchpad. Most hubs only provide power to just the peripheral side. He mentions in the video to use a hub that provides power on the "upstream"? That's maybe what he was referring too.
    Makes sense. Although my Y cable powers the touchpad when I plug it in, and there is definitely 5v at the connection to both the keyboard and touchpad.

EDIT: Which does lead me back to my original question, why did the OP link to a regular spec USB adapter that doesn't seem to support OTG?

EDIT2: Seems the usb cable packaged with the tablet comes with 5 pins on the micro side, I may just be tempted to hack it up.
    Last edited by izzeho; 09/04/2011 at 05:35 AM.
    I'll let the images speak for themselves:

EDIT: Ok it doesn't really show it, but it works :P Shorted Pin 4 and Pin 5 (ground and ID pins) together and automagically worked. I've tried keyboard/mouse. The device seems to assume both are keyboards. It detects USB storage devices and I'm trying know to see if I can get them to mount.

EDIT2: Now to mod a 5v battery pack to supply power for portable usage :P
    Last edited by izzeho; 09/04/2011 at 07:06 AM.
    huxley309, chrisx, m76 and 3 others like this.
    That's awesome stuff! Now if we can get it to work with a hdd I'm fully sorted for travelling (I carry a battery pack that supplies 5v-1A anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
    That's awesome stuff! Now if we can get it to work with a hdd I'm fully sorted for travelling (I carry a battery pack that supplies 5v-1A anyway)

(My university work USB, in hindsight probably wasn't a wise test device for unstable mounting)
    Smartarse lol
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
    Smartarse lol

It seems to access it perfectly fine and if I symlink I can even have the movies/images/audio on the USB device showing up in Kalemsoft/inbuilt players.

I'd try a hard drive, but the only "external" (it's a USB->Sata converter hooked to an old HDD) is formatted to record for my TVs PVR function... and its recording True Blood at the moment :P

Now bring on VBUS so I don't have to lug around my desktop PC to connect things while I'm 'on the go'.
    Last edited by izzeho; 09/04/2011 at 07:54 AM.
    m76 likes this.
    Thanks for the great work so far.

Personally I believe a (functional) mouse will increase the usability and productivity of the TG by a lot. Things like selecting text, quickly moving (precisely) to a location, etc.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

It seems to access it perfectly fine and if I symlink I can even have the movies/images/audio on the USB device showing up in Kalemsoft/inbuilt players.

I'd try a hard drive, but the only "external" (it's a USB->Sata converter hooked to an old HDD) is formatted to record for my TVs PVR function... and its recording True Blood at the moment :P

Now bring on VBUS so I don't have to lug around my desktop PC to connect things while I'm 'on the go'.
    Can you test a digital camera or sd card reader?
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Can you test a digital camera or sd card reader?
    Not really. May or may not have completely destroyed my cable with the soldering iron (they're fragile, stranded wires, gimme a break :P). That said I tried a USB stick and a phone and both seemed to mount ok.
    Not really. May or may not have completely destroyed my cable with the soldering iron (they're fragile, stranded wires, gimme a break :P). That said I tried a USB stick and a phone and both seemed to mount ok.
    damn with all the cables I have floating around, and my cool heat soldering iron, I might have to give it a shot
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    damn with all the cables I have floating around, and my cool heat soldering iron, I might have to give it a shot
    It's actually rather simple if you pull back the rubber around the end you just need to match Pins 4 and 5 with those on the other side and connect them. And if you need a female to female USB adapter, just pull a 2 port USB off a motherboard and connect the pins for each together (bit of solder connecting them is all that's needed).

Sure it's dodgy, but it gets the job done.

DIY USB OTG CONVERTER FOR i9100! IT WORKS! - xda-developers

Has a bit more information.
    thanks I have a few PCs that need to be wiped and tossed
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, I am working with the CM devs on this.

-- Rod
    Is it possible to power the usb with a custom kernel?
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast