Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Is it possible that someone could make an app to automate all of this?

it could be as simple as 3 buttons to mount,view,unmount
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelight0 View Post
    Is it possible that someone could make an app to automate all of this?

it could be as simple as 3 buttons to mount,view,unmount
    It all depends on how permissions work in webOS. The software part of it is done in Xecutah/Xterm which is a linux terminal emulator. I ordered the hardware to do this, and I plan on developing something quick to make this whole process easier.
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    I have this AC powered USB hub:

So all I would need is a Micro USB to USB Female Cable USB- OTG and one of these:

It has 2 USB male and 1 USB mini male since my external hard drive is mini usb to usb.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    That looks like it might do it - here's a picture of my working USB hub setup to give you an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Thanks for the pic kevets.

How were you able to then access whats on the external hard drive/flash drive?

I'm looking to access movies/pictures that are stored on the external.
    Quote Originally Posted by myPad5 View Post
    Thanks for the pic kevets.

How were you able to then access whats on the external hard drive/flash drive?

I'm looking to access movies/pictures that are stored on the external.
    Use InternalzPro.
    Currently I think the only way to get a drive mounted is to use Xterm/wTerm and the appropriate Linux commands to mount. If NTFS, you'll need the ntfs-3g optware package installed as well. Once it's mounted, Internalz will be able to display the contents.

As far as viewing a movie, I think Touchplayer is the only one that will navigate a mounted drive currently.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I'm still struggling with this whole set-up - - hoping someone can help. I've looked at the pics but not having much luck. Here is what I plan on buying from amazon to finally get pics from an SD/CF card reader onto the touchpad:

USB Solar hub - - Amazon.com: 4 Port Solar Powered Battery USB Hub & Charger Adapter: Camera & Photo

Micro USB OTG - - Amazon.com: Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories

USB Y Cable - - Amazon.com: Utstarcom Oem Universal Y Adapter Usb Data Cable With Two Male & One Female Connector: Cell Phones & Accessories

Can someone please tell me if the connections would go like this:

Step 1 - - Plug Mini USB OTG into Touchpad
    Step 2 - - Plug one end of Male USB Y into the Female end of the Mini USB OTG
    Step 3 - - Plug other end of Male USB Y into USB Solar hub
    Step 4 - - Plug SD/CF Card Reader into USB Solar hub

Step 5 - - Use XTerm mount command to mount SD/CF Card Reader

Step 6 - - Can I copy/backup those pics to the Touchpad to view?

Once I do this I will gladly post a vid or step by step pics, I am just not this technologically advanced, but I am not this technologically challenged either.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!
    DD, If you are using the Solar Hub, you don't need the Y Cable.

Just follow the instructions here http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...e-kbd-etc.html
    Thanks WheelNut...., but wouldnt i need an USB to USB cable to go from the female end of the USB OTG into the Solar hub?

Also, when i have tried it with other cables/hubs and tried to:

Open Xecutah/ Xterm and type: mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
    ...... Then type: ls /media/internal/usb to make sure it shows the files on the drive.

I get an error message stating there is no connection?

Thoughts on helping me troubleshoot that?
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_dave View Post
    Thanks WheelNut...., but wouldnt i need an USB to USB cable to go from the female end of the USB OTG into the Solar hub?
    No. The Solar Hub has a MiniUSB Upstream port and comes with a MiniUSB to USB A Cable

Do you get any errors?

...... Then type: ls /media/internal/usb to make sure it shows the files on the drive.

I get an error message stating there is no connection?
    Are you able to see the files in the /media/internal/usb directory using Internalz Pro? Did you remember to set it to show Hidden Files?

Thoughts on helping me troubleshoot that?
    As I have said before, the TouchPad USB2.0 implementation is very flaky. The Solar Hub seems to put a predictable USB handshake into the chain and makes it work reliably for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post

Do you get any errors?

Are you able to see the files in the /media/internal/usb directory using Internalz Pro? Did you remember to set it to show Hidden Files?

As I have said before, the TouchPad USB2.0 implementation is very flaky. The Solar Hub seems to put a predictable USB handshake into the chain and makes it work reliably for me.
    This is when I receive the error message - - I cant even get past the first part.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post

No and Yes.
    No I can not see anything in the /media/internal/usb directory because I can not connect to it.

Yes I have show Hidden Files on

I think will go into hiding until after I order/recieve from Amazon.
    I'll be back in a few.
    Thanks
    I was looking at the Maxim MAX8903 datasheet and it doesn't appear to support applying voltage to the USB power line. It's only an input not an output. I think this might be why we will always have to externally power the USB in master mode. The datasheet never mentions enabling power to the USB power.

Maybe someone sees it different.

Has HP ever commented on this? Maybe they added a circuit to disconnect the USB power and supply it through another path?
    smiloPad likes this.
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    What format should my external hard drive be so the Touchpad can read it - NTFS or FAT32?
    FAT32 out of the box, NTFS will work also but it requires an install of the ntfs-3g optware package to access it.

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    ok thanks
    ok ...so if I have a external HDD that requires no external power (wd passport) can I use a Y cable with usb to touchpad and external drive and then 3rd branch to a separately powered usb strip I have receiving power not from the computer but from an a/c connection ??
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    ok ...so if I have a external HDD that requires no external power (wd passport) can I use a Y cable with usb to touchpad and external drive and then 3rd branch to a separately powered usb strip I have receiving power not from the computer but from an a/c connection ??
    It may work. .... but it may not. This is because you will not have eliminated the flaky behaviour of the TouchPad when connecting OTG USB device. The only reliable device I have found is the USB Solar Hub described in the other thread.

If using a Y Cable, you will still need an OTG Micro B Cable interposed between the TouchPad and the Y Cable. In this case, you could power the Disk by plugging the Y Cable Power plug into a USB "Power Strip" PROVIDED THAT the "Power Strip" is capable of supplying USB 2.0 specified current.
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veerona View Post
    Use InternalzPro.
    Then what? What does it show up as under InternalzPro?

I have everything hooked up and opened Internalz but am not able to find anything.
    Did you set Preferences in Internalz Pro to show Hidden Files?

Did you "Mount" the USB drive? You should be able to browse the contents of the Drive in the Directory to which you mounted it.