Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    I have just checked out my OTG cable and pins 4 and 5 in the micro usb end are NOT connected.It appears I have been sent a standard micro usb to usb A adapter cable and not an OTG as I ordered in my post #460.
    This is the one I use. Cheap as Chips.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
    i scanned but not thoughouly read all 500 posts..

i just have question::

Using a MicroUSB OTG Cable and a USB Female to 2 USB A Male Power Extension Y Cable:

a. Connect the Thumb Drive to the Female USB end of the Y Cable
    b. Connect the Heavy (Main) cable USB plug of the Y Cable to the OTG Cable
    c. Connect the Light cable USB plig of the y Cable to your TouchPad Power Supply
    d. Now plug the OTG Cable Micro USB Plug into the TouchPad

of these, i dont see which cable is long enough to go from power supply to usb plug of Y cable..

or do you just set up TP next to wall outlet..

sorry if i missed the easy answer to stupid question..

was it covered if this will support a HDD?

thanx
    You have spotted the reason why I dislike the Y Cable setup. The USB Female end is too long and the Power end is far too short to reach the Power source. I think I have discussed this earlier in this thread.

When using this, I use a USB extension cable to extend the Power plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    You have spotted the reason why I dislike the Y Cable setup. The USB Female end is too long and the Power end is far too short to reach the Power source. I think I have discussed this earlier in this thread.

When using this, I use a USB extension cable to extend the Power plug.
    tyvm for fast response....

seems like someone talked about a battery solution.. iir

soo,, an external drive is out of the question?

i mean if not, then this setup would only be worth it to me to transfer large files cuz
    there are many other ways to transfer a couple hundred MB

thanx again
    I think the best solution is an otg-cable and a hub like this one: Functional USB Host on Touchpad

Heres another shop ebay art.no.130486226433
    Last edited by veerona; 12/21/2011 at 05:17 PM.
    I have one of those on order but for now, I am using a USB1.1 Hub (YES USB1.1 Hub) with an OTG Cable and a Single AA Emergency Battery Charger to power the rig. I have posted links to these components earlier in this thread.

Don't buy the 2x AA Emergency Charger. It produces weird results.
    Quote Originally Posted by veerona View Post
    I think the best solution is an otg-cable and a hub like this one: Functional USB Host on Touchpad
    wow.. that looks handy as pockets...

has anyone hooked up external hard drive??..
    seems like if flash drive works, then it should..
    still might want a longer cord between hub and otc cable

makes me wonder about TP drivers for other inputs.. blue tooth mouse, etc

thanx
    Last edited by amkaos; 12/21/2011 at 05:16 PM.
    No problem with HDD if it is not ntfs formatted. Otherwise you have to put the ntfs drivers onto the TP.
    With the linked hub i tested flashdrives, hdd, usb-sdcard reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by veerona View Post
    No problem with HDD if it is not ntfs formatted. Otherwise you have to put the ntfs drivers onto the TP.
    With the linked hub i tested flashdrives, hdd, usb-sdcard reader.
    great.. thanx
    Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread! It would be really helpful if somebody would post a how-to summarizing all the progress so far for us non-experts--either at the beginning of the thread, if Plotovef is still with us and willing to edit the first post, or in a new thread with a link here.

I've ordered the solar USB hub veerona recommends, and an OTG adapter, but I'm not clear on what, if any, software mods may be needed or available, and I haven't been able to follow the discussion here well enough to be sure I understand that aspect of it. A step-by-step guide would be really helpful.

Thanks again for all the work y'all have done!

Jim Crutchfield
    Long Island City, NY
    Thanks to AstroTep for finding the Solar powered USB Hub which I got today and can confirm that it works perfectly with an OTG Cable.

Because this thread is now 25 pages long and the Signal to Noise ratio here is not good, I have started a new thread here:

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...e-kbd-etc.html
    Connection chain:

CF card reader > powered USB hub > OTG cable > Touchpad

I couldn't get the card reader to light up, so I restarted the TP and then tried mounting it. It worked! For ten minutes, not sure what happened then but it stopped working. I didn't get a chance to unmount it, any opinions on whether this may affect future attempts to mount?

Since then I've restarted and tried to duplicate the results with no success.

Any thoughts?

Daniel
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    No need for y adaptor, the Kensington USB is self powered and works as long as I reboot the TouchPad before mounting the card reader, flash drives or external drives.
    If anyone wants my y cable (3 male prongs), I will drop it in the mail for you if you cover my original $5 cost.
    Bluenote can you workflow out the diagram of how you hooked everything up.. I still can't get my Touchpad (using a OTG USB cable + Ycable) to acknowledge my Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor or external powered HDdives.

If anyone could just draw it out for me (Mr. Lameo) that would be great.
    Vibes4me, See Post #255 in this thread.

Since you have a Y Cable with all three Male A USB Connectors, you will need a USB A Female to Female adapter to facilitate plugging the Thumb Drive into the Y Cable.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    2 Port 2.0 USB Hub - Self Powered for laptop netbook pc | eBay

would this work as the Y cable? if i plugged in a battery to one socket and my USB stick into the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by urq20v View Post
    I have just checked out my OTG cable and pins 4 and 5 in the micro usb end are NOT connected.It appears I have been sent a standard micro usb to usb A adapter cable and not an OTG as I ordered in my post #460.
    Hello!

I am having the same problem that I can not make it to work. Using Xterm when I try to use ls -ltr /dev it does not show any thing.

Can some one please tell me how to check out yhe OTG cable I got is correct?
    How to check the pin 4 and pin 5 of the micro usb?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_ck View Post
    I built a USB OTG cable from a normal Micro USB cable ,
    I soldered pin 4 and pin 5 together . ( sense pin and GND )
    At the end I have a OTG cable.

it's work !
    Tested on webos and CM7 .
    Hello!

Can you please show each end of you cable in a bigger photo?. I would like to see how you build it.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Here is a picture of a working setup.

1) MicroUSB OTG Cable eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2) USB Hub (with MicroSD Card and USB Adapter) eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

3) Emergency USB Power supply (1x AA Battery) eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I had to adapt the white USB Cable to fit the Power coaxial input to the Hub. An alternative would be to use a USB A Male to USB A Male adapter and plug iit into one of the 4 Ports. USB 2 type A Male to A Male Converter Adapter Connector | eBay
    Hello!

I like your setup. As I can see the original USB hub does not come with the pwr cable as shown in your photo. Can you, please, show some more details how you made that USB hub and connected to power?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by urq20v View Post
    Hello!

I am also having problem with my OTG. Can you help me how you tested your OTG cable with multimeter? The mini usb side is very small to put any probe tips in it to check.

Thanks.