Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728 LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 547
Like Tree67Likes
  1. #461  
    Quote Originally Posted by urq20v View Post
    Great thread!I am however a little confused about the OTG cable.I have purchased this one:
    USB Host OTG Micro B Cable Adaptor for Samsung Galaxy S/SII/S2 Nokia N810 N900 | eBay
    is it the correct type?
    Thanks.
    Yes.
  2. #462  
    Just ordered this usb to rj45 10/100 ethernet adapter. Any chance of this working? Mounting or driver needs?
    USB 2.0 10 / 100 Fast Ethernet LAN Network RJ45 Adapter, #9346
  3. #463  
    The USB OTG mcro-B cable has pin 4 tied to pin 5 ground. A normal data cable will not work. This ID pin grounding at the connector is to tell the device to turn on its 5v USB VBUS and go to mastering mode. Problem is touchpad does not have a 5v supply to run VBUS and its USB physical differential drivers need 5v from outside world to work. The pin 4 connection only exist at the micro-B connector end and must be shorted at the micro-B connector. This is what make a USB OTG cable over a regular data USB cable.

    Most powered USB hubs only supply the power pack's +5v VBUS to the slave ports and do not push the 5v back up to the master port input. A few powered USB hubs do supply 5v back up the master port for charging purposes. A Y-cable is the best solution to ensure you get the 5v input to the touchpad.

    The touchpad has a single 3.8 v cell Li-Ion polymer battery of 6300 mA hours. Normally, the sensing of the USB-OTG cable would active a DC-DC converter to supply the +5v to VBUS. But touchpad appearently has no such DC-DC converter. It needs to have 5vdc supplied to its input VBUS connection from the outside world on the micro-B connector.

    The large 6300 mA battery requires 2 to 3 amps of charging current from the USB port to charge the battery in any reasonable amount of time. This is in far excess of the normal USB spec limit of 500 mA. (most smartphone violate the 500 mA USB spec limit) The touchpad does not charge the battery when plugged into a computer USB port. The HP charger shorts the data+ and data- lines together to tell touchpad it has the high powered power supply is connected. The HP power pack also runs at 5.3 vdc to allow for some voltage drop in the USB cable while drawing 2 amps through it. You will get a warning message if you use a third party USB power supply that does not have D+ and D- shorted together.
  4. #464  
    Quote Originally Posted by RCinFLA View Post
    The USB OTG mcro-B cable has pin 4 tied to pin 5 ground. A normal data cable will not work. This ID pin grounding at the connector is to tell the device to turn on its 5v USB VBUS and go to mastering mode. Problem is touchpad does not have a 5v supply to run VBUS and its USB physical differential drivers need 5v from outside world to work. The pin 4 connection only exist at the micro-B connector end and must be shorted at the micro-B connector. This is what make a USB OTG cable over a regular data USB cable.

    Most powered USB hubs only supply the power pack's +5v VBUS to the slave ports and do not push the 5v back up to the master port input. A few powered USB hubs do supply 5v back up the master port for charging purposes. A Y-cable is the best solution to ensure you get the 5v input to the touchpad.

    The touchpad has a single 3.8 v cell Li-Ion polymer battery of 6300 mA hours. Normally, the sensing of the USB-OTG cable would active a DC-DC converter to supply the +5v to VBUS. But touchpad appearently has no such DC-DC converter. It needs to have 5vdc supplied to its input VBUS connection from the outside world on the micro-B connector.

    The large 6300 mA battery requires 2 to 3 amps of charging current from the USB port to charge the battery in any reasonable amount of time. This is in far excess of the normal USB spec limit of 500 mA. (most smartphone violate the 500 mA USB spec limit)
    Not sure what the question was but good answer thus far.....
    The touchpad does not charge the battery when plugged into a computer USB port. The HP charger shorts the data+ and data- lines together to tell touchpad it has the high powered power supply is connected. The HP power pack also runs at 5.3 vdc to allow for some voltage drop in the USB cable while drawing 2 amps through it. You will get a warning message if you use a third party USB power supply that does not have D+ and D- shorted together.
    Not quite. The TouchPad WILL draw charging current from a PC USB Port ot other source WITHOUT the Data Lines bridged but only a couple of hundred milliAmps. In order to charge at full rate, it needs the Data Lines bridged AND held at ~2.7V using a HIGH Impedance Potential Divider with a Pull-up of 250K and a Pull-down of 300K.
  5. #465  
    I'm having an error opening files such as pdf's or docs in Internalz, and trying to open a .mkv results in a no file handler error.

    Copying files then opening works though.

    Kalemsoft cannot see the files either using version 0.5.3
    Last edited by Bismar; 12/12/2011 at 06:05 AM.
  6. #466  
    @Bismar: From what I've gathered on this long thread, that's basically how it works. Internalz will see the files, but other apps won't.

    I just got it set up and it worked right off the bat, but same thing - can't see files with other apps. I was mostly wanting to use this to browse camera pictures on the big TouchPad screen while I'm traveling, but Internalz is way to slow for that to be practical. I'll have to copy them over every time I want to see them. On the bright side, I guess that gives me a backup too.

    I'm not sure how you set up file associations in Internalz.
  7. #467  
    I just got these cables and it is working with a few USB thumbdrives.

    OTG Cable: Micro USB OTG Host Cable Samsung Galaxy SII S2 i9100 | eBay
    USB Splitter: New USB 2.0 Female to Dual USB A Male Power Y Cable | eBay

    ..and an external USB power supply; I tried a couple (including HP) and they all worked. Can view files with Internalz and copy with that or Xecutah.
  8. #468  
    Thanks to this thread i am able to use external usb-devices, eg. thumbdrive, sdcard reader.
    But i need a solution for my wishes, is there any app or patch that i can view my photos from the sdcard?
    At the moment its only possible to view them with internalzpro.This is not very comfortable.
    Another question, i have gemini file manager installed, but the mounted usb drives are not visible in the usb folder.Somebodys help is very apreciated.tnx.
  9. #469  
    I believe this cable can be easily modified by swapping the HDMI plug for a USB female plug (and soldering all 4 contacts). Of course, this is to be used in conjunction with factory USB cable+charger and USB stick.

    1080P MHL Micro USB Male to HDMI Female + Micro USB Female Adapter Cable for HTC G14/Samsung i9100 - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Last edited by rioachim; 12/14/2011 at 08:55 AM.
  10. #470  
    Quote Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
    I believe this cable can be easily modified by swapping the HDMI plug for a USB female plug (and soldering all 4 contacts). Of course, this is to be used in conjunction with factory USB cable+charger and USB stick.

    1080P MHL Micro USB Male to HDMI Female + Micro USB Female Adapter Cable for HTC G14/Samsung i9100 - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

    The best part: you charge the Touchpad and have USB Stick mount at the same time.
    You would be better off with a piece of string with three knots in it.

    You really need to RTFT.
  11. #471  
    When the source code of TP will be realeased, I hope we can make it power the USB OTG
  12. #472  
    I hope the OS Code will allow SD readers!
  13. #473  
    How can i manage to make the files, which exists in the usb folder visible?
  14. #474  
    In Internalz Pro Preferences, there is a setting to enable "Hidden" files to be made visible.
  15. #475  
    I switched this on in Internalz Pro, but the files are not visible neither in GeminiFileManager nor in Wifi File Browser. So its very annoying to view JPGs one by one with InternalzPro.

    By the way,a workaround maybe to copy the files with Internalz, but how can a i mark all files for copying?
  16. #476  
    Quote Originally Posted by veerona View Post
    I switched this on in Internalz Pro, but the files are not visible neither in GeminiFileManager nor in Wifi File Browser. So its very annoying to view JPGs one by one with InternalzPro.

    By the way,a workaround maybe to copy the files with Internalz, but how can a i mark all files for copying?
    copy the whole folder.

    press the folder for a longer time and you should see a pop up window allowing you to copy.
  17. #477  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    copy the whole folder.

    press the folder for a longer time and you should see a pop up window allowing you to copy.
    Thats it!
    I tried that, but i think didn`t press long enough.
    Now its fantastic, i can mount my cheap SDHC USB CardStick and see my photos.Great.
    Tnx alot.
    I love my TP more and more.
  18. #478  
    I have connected everything up,OTG cable,y adapter (2 male to 1 female),TP power supply and Sony memory stick but only get the "device may not charge" message.
    Perhaps my OTG cable is no good?








    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Yes.
  19. #479  
    See my post #261 on Page 14 of this thread.

    Pay particular attention to the descriptors "Male", "Female". "Thick" and "Thin".

    If you are using an OTG Cable, you should NOT get the "charging" message.
  20. #480  
    Yes, post #261 is all very clear and understood,but unfortunately to this point it has not worked for me.I can only assume my OTG cable is not working as it should.I will try and check the terminal connections with my multimeter.



    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    See my post #261 on Page 14 of this thread.

    Pay particular attention to the descriptors "Male", "Female". "Thick" and "Thin".

    If you are using an OTG Cable, you should NOT get the "charging" message.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions