webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Functional USB Host on Touchpad
Functional USB Host on Touchpad
Like Tree67Likes

Old 11/17/2011, 09:54 AM   #441 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
Thanks Plgnply. I will verify this over weekend and update you on it. Also do you know how to restore the standard HP TP apps after you doctor it? I am assuming after you doctor it and restart the device, during the initial setup after you login to webos account, it will prompt you to restore? Is that right?

Also how do i can backup preware apps and restore them from preware. Can you help me guide through it or throw some light where i can find this information.

Regards
You are correct about the standard HP TP apps and any you may have bought from the App store; after the doctor, during the initial setup, you will be prompted to restore your data. BE SURE TO DO A 'BACKUP' JUST PRIOR TO DOCTORING, as it will ensure that your most recent settings/data are restored. Here are some notes to myself after doctoring about what I needed to do:
-restore will commence on reboot and take a little while depending on how much was backed up
-restore from your newest backup (that you should have just created)
-redo all account credentials (passwords only)
-redo some software app updates via Software Manager
-HP App Catalog glitch; fix by using Software Manager, click on yield sign, and try again

Regarding preware apps: Using the preware app Save/Restore should allow you to save some of your preware apps and data, however it won't save it all. The app itself has a description of what apps/data it can save from when installing it from preware. Also, in order to restore this data after the doctor you'll need to install preware and the Save/Restore app again. Patches, kernels, tweaks and such will not be backed up, but that is kind of the whole point; plus, they are easy to install again when you wish.

Again, BE SURE TO DO AN HP APP 'BACKUP' JUST PRIOR TO DOCTORING.

Just so you're aware, the whole process seemed very long winded and daunting the first time I doctored my TP, but because I took notes the whole way through, the second time was fairly painless and quick; plus, I already had a virtual linux system setup and ready for the process. It would be worth looking through some of the tutorials that have been posted by members so you are aware of all of the steps required.
plgnply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2011, 08:21 AM   #442 (permalink)

Hi Everyone. I have been fascinated reading this thread from the beginning. The whole thread is, however, very confusing for someone who has never done any hardware hacking.

I just got in the OTG cable (Amazon.com: Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Nokia N810 / N900, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9. New Version with more accommodating "L" shaped connector! - Better than Motorola Camera Connection Kit!: Electronics) and Y cable (Amazon.com: USB A Male to Male Power and Sync Y Cable for 2.5 inch Drives: Computers & Accessories) that I ordered. I was hoping to use the USB hub that I have lying around (Newegg.com - BELKIN F5U045 4-port USB 1.1 Hub) instead of the female-female connector.

I plugged in the short A end of the Y cable to my TP barrel power adapter, the long end into my OTG cable, and the B end into any port on the hub. I plugged a thumb drive into another port on the hub, and when I plugged in the power adapter the light on the thumb drive blinked once then stayed on. However, the TP did not recognize it.

I tried sticking a Dell USB keyboard into the hub instead thinking it would be a simpler test and the TP did not recognize that either.

Is it the way I am hooking everything up that is not working, or do I need different components?
U.S. Robotics PalmPilot 1000 --> U.S. Robotics PalmPilot Professional --> Palm III --> m505 --> Palm IIIc --> Tungsten T3 --> Samsung SCH-i760 (Windows Mobile) --> Motorola Droid (Android) --> now back to Palm with the Touchpad
AstroTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2011, 08:54 AM   #443 (permalink)

The good news is that you have the correct OTG Cable. Also, the Y Cable is useable but you need a Female to Female USB Adapter.

The Belkin Hub is USB 1.1 standard and will probably NOT work even if correctly connected. You MUST connect the USB PLUG into the Y Cable. You cannot connect the Y Cable to any of the four downstream ports of the Hub.

So, Follow this procedure. The sequence is important.:

1) Plug the Thick end of the Y Cable into the OTG Cable. (Doesn't matter which THICK end)

2) Plug a Female to Female USB adapter into the other THICK end of the Y Cable.

3) Plug your Thumb Drive into the Female to Female adapter.

4) Plug the THIN USB Plug of the Y Cable into the Barrel PSU

5) Plug the OTG Cable into the TouchPad

Now mount the drive.
Wheel_nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: AstroTerp
Old 11/18/2011, 08:57 AM   #444 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTerp View Post
Hi Everyone. I have been fascinated reading this thread from the beginning. The whole thread is, however, very confusing for someone who has never done any hardware hacking.

I just got in the OTG cable (Amazon.com: Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Nokia N810 / N900, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9. New Version with more accommodating "L" shaped connector! - Better than Motorola Camera Connection Kit!: Electronics) and Y cable (Amazon.com: USB A Male to Male Power and Sync Y Cable for 2.5 inch Drives: Computers & Accessories) that I ordered. I was hoping to use the USB hub that I have lying around (Newegg.com - BELKIN F5U045 4-port USB 1.1 Hub) instead of the female-female connector.

I plugged in the short A end of the Y cable to my TP barrel power adapter, the long end into my OTG cable, and the B end into any port on the hub. I plugged a thumb drive into another port on the hub, and when I plugged in the power adapter the light on the thumb drive blinked once then stayed on. However, the TP did not recognize it.

I tried sticking a Dell USB keyboard into the hub instead thinking it would be a simpler test and the TP did not recognize that either.

Is it the way I am hooking everything up that is not working, or do I need different components?
Ok I figured it out. I had to plug the OTG in the male host port on the hub. I then left the Y cable plugged into power and any port on the hub, and the keyboard plugged into the hub and it worked! Next to try the thumb drive again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20111118_085350.jpg (392.5 KB, 164 views) Email Attachment
U.S. Robotics PalmPilot 1000 --> U.S. Robotics PalmPilot Professional --> Palm III --> m505 --> Palm IIIc --> Tungsten T3 --> Samsung SCH-i760 (Windows Mobile) --> Motorola Droid (Android) --> now back to Palm with the Touchpad
Old 11/18/2011, 09:15 AM   #445 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
The good news is that you have the correct OTG Cable. Also, the Y Cable is useable but you need a Female to Female USB Adapter.

The Belkin Hub is USB 1.1 standard and will probably NOT work even if correctly connected. You MUST connect the USB PLUG into the Y Cable. You cannot connect the Y Cable to any of the four downstream ports of the Hub.

So, Follow this procedure. The sequence is important.:

1) Plug the Thick end of the Y Cable into the OTG Cable. (Doesn't matter which THICK end)

2) Plug a Female to Female USB adapter into the other THICK end of the Y Cable.

3) Plug your Thumb Drive into the Female to Female adapter.

4) Plug the THIN USB Plug of the Y Cable into the Barrel PSU

5) Plug the OTG Cable into the TouchPad

Now mount the drive.
Thumb drive did not work with my setup. I guess I will have to break down and order a female-female connector.
Old 11/18/2011, 09:21 AM   #446 (permalink)

Quote:
Thumb drive did not work with my setup. I guess I will have to break down and order a female-female connector.
I stand corrected. I unplugged and replugged everything and plugged the power adaptor into a different outlet and LASTLY plugged the OTG into the TP and now it sees my thumb drive.

Now we just need someway to mount and unmount quickly to make it convenient to make the TP unstoppable.
Old 11/18/2011, 11:18 AM   #447 (permalink)

Quote:
I stand corrected. I unplugged and replugged everything and plugged the power adaptor into a different outlet and LASTLY plugged the OTG into the TP and now it sees my thumb drive.

Now we just need someway to mount and unmount quickly to make it convenient to make the TP unstoppable.
Did I say that the sequence was important?
Old 11/18/2011, 02:23 PM   #448 (permalink)

I have been having unpredictable results when trying to Mount a USB Drive. After observing the above posts by AstroTerp who is using a USB1.1 Hub and seems to be getting reliable and predictable results, I tried an old USB1.1 Hub on my TouchPad.

The results are very surprising. The USB1.1 Hub connects and mounts first time every time.

The USB2 Hub will not now connect at all. I suspect that it may do so after a re-boot.

If I use my Y Cable Rig with a USB2 Thumb Drive plugged directly into the Y Cable, it will not connect. If however I connect the USB 1.1 Hub to the Y Cable and then plug the Thumb Drive into the USB 1.1 Hub, it connects and mounts reliably and repeatably.

My Conclusion is that the USB2 implementation on the TouchPad is flaky!
Old 11/18/2011, 03:12 PM   #449 (permalink)

There is a great deal of chances that the USB implementation was not activated because of compliancy issues to the USB2 standard from a hardware perspective. USB 1.1 being much less demanding it is not surprising it provides a more stable and reliable connection.

I have not had any stability issues with any USB2 card, card reader or even USB hubs I have. However, I don't have a firesale TP if that has any influence on this. I have not tested on my wife's TP which is a fire sale device, so can't say if it does matter.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

If you like the help I am providing
Support my work:

RICKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2011, 06:08 PM   #450 (permalink)

Quote:
I have been having unpredictable results when trying to Mount a USB Drive. After observing the above posts by AstroTerp who is using a USB1.1 Hub and seems to be getting reliable and predictable results, I tried an old USB1.1 Hub on my TouchPad.

The results are very surprising. The USB1.1 Hub connects and mounts first time every time.

The USB2 Hub will not now connect at all. I suspect that it may do so after a re-boot.

If I use my Y Cable Rig with a USB2 Thumb Drive plugged directly into the Y Cable, it will not connect. If however I connect the USB 1.1 Hub to the Y Cable and then plug the Thumb Drive into the USB 1.1 Hub, it connects and mounts reliably and repeatably.

My Conclusion is that the USB2 implementation on the TouchPad is flaky!
Hi WN,

May be this could be one reason on why i couldnt get anything working in my case. You can see my posts on what errors i am getting (i already posted pictures previously to your replies). I tried every possible combination and was not successful. Also you can verify the log i attached in post #417 (#414,415) and reply from plgnply (#422)

The only chance i have is to try with another TP i have which doesnt have any kernal mod installed except the standard TP apps. I will try all these combos and update you on the results..

I need to find a USB 1.1 thumb drive now
ppvsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2011, 10:41 AM   #451 (permalink)

Ppvsp, I wish I could give you a sensible answer to your problem other than to try and buy a USB 1.1 Hub. The Belkin one seems to be out of stock at Amazon.

I am researching how to cripple a USB 2 Hub to 1.1 standard because I have six USB 2 hubs and only one USB 1.1 unit.

I spent a couple of hours last night trying to select MicroSD USB adapters which work (more) reliably with the TouchPad. Of the 10 that I have, ONE (which works fine on my Laptop) doesn't ever connect but the other nine will connect intermittently but only after cycling the UDB port through a Charging cycle on the Barrel Charger. Also, sometimes the Mount fails the first time but mounts successfully on the second try.

I am certain that this is a webOS issue because Android users have reported that Android powers the interface AND automatically monts the Drive.

Let's hope that the next release of webOS addresses this irritating problem.
Old 11/19/2011, 11:03 AM   #452 (permalink)

Quote:
Ppvsp, I wish I could give you a sensible answer to your problem other than to try and buy a USB 1.1 Hub. The Belkin one seems to be out of stock at Amazon.

I am researching how to cripple a USB 2 Hub to 1.1 standard because I have six USB 2 hubs and only one USB 1.1 unit.

I spent a couple of hours last night trying to select MicroSD USB adapters which work (more) reliably with the TouchPad. Of the 10 that I have, ONE (which works fine on my Laptop) doesn't ever connect but the other nine will connect intermittently but only after cycling the UDB port through a Charging cycle on the Barrel Charger. Also, sometimes the Mount fails the first time but mounts successfully on the second try.

I am certain that this is a webOS issue because Android users have reported that Android powers the interface AND automatically monts the Drive.

Let's hope that the next release of webOS addresses this irritating problem.
See my reply #422 for information that I found regarding USB 2.0 issues as they relate to linux system, as well as a couple ideas on disabling the 2.0 specification
plgnply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 02:17 PM   #453 (permalink)

I have noticed that with my setup (the USB 1.1 hub) that the TP loses the connection to my keyboard when the screen times out. I then have to unplug and replug in the OTG to reset it.

Does anyone have a solution for this other than leaving the screen powered on and draining battery?

EDIT: Also I have noticed that sometimes when I go to turn the screen back on the TP reboots.
Old 11/21/2011, 05:41 PM   #454 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgnply View Post
See my reply #422 for information that I found regarding USB 2.0 issues as they relate to linux system, as well as a couple ideas on disabling the 2.0 specification
Hi Plgnply,

Sadly i noticed that my other touchpad is also updated with Uberkernal and other required patches from Preware. I thought its stock but it isn't. I tested that touchpad also and found the same issue with it for usb 2.0 thumb drive.

I need to find a USB 1.1 hub or thumb drive now or doctor one of my touchpads. I will try to doctor one during this thanksgiving and let u know the results.

Now a days its pretty hard to get a usb 1.1 device

The only thing i never tried now is to try with usb card readers.. I will try this also and let u know the results...
ppvsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 12:22 PM   #455 (permalink)

Can the drive be mounted using DOSbox for WebOS perhaps?

http://www.precentral.net/dosbox-0-74-webos

The precentral screen shot conveniently shows mounting a linux directory as a drive letter.

Last edited by TheKitty; 11/22/2011 at 07:59 PM.
TheKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 03:25 PM   #456 (permalink)

I know that this thread has not been very active in a while but I wanted to give an update on my USB host testing.

Yesterday I received my order of this (http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Powered-...bosnation0e-20) solar powered USB hub based on someone's suggestion earlier in this thread. I just wanted to report that it works great with both my USB keyboard and my USB thumb drive. The hub's internal battery powered both accessories without needing the y-cable or other form of external power.
Old 12/04/2011, 07:17 PM   #457 (permalink)

Quote:
I know that this thread has not been very active in a while but I wanted to give an update on my USB host testing.

Yesterday I received my order of this (Amazon.com: 4 Port Solar Powered Battery USB Hub & Charger Adapter: Camera & Photo) solar powered USB hub based on someone's suggestion earlier in this thread. I just wanted to report that it works great with both my USB keyboard and my USB thumb drive. The hub's internal battery powered both accessories without needing the y-cable or other form of external power.
wow that is boss
bpanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2011, 07:55 AM   #458 (permalink)

Quote:

Yesterday I received my order of this (Amazon.com: 4 Port Solar Powered Battery USB Hub & Charger Adapter: Camera & Photo) solar powered USB hub based on someone's suggestion earlier in this thread. I just wanted to report that it works great with both my USB keyboard and my USB thumb drive. The hub's internal battery powered both accessories without needing the y-cable or other form of external power.
Looks pretty convenient for TP users. Can you charge it using normal +5V supply, or only from solar?
mooman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2011, 12:51 PM   #459 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman1 View Post
Looks pretty convenient for TP users. Can you charge it using normal +5V supply, or only from solar?
It can be charged from any +5 supply with a USB port. Which is good because solar charging Is REALLY slow.
Old 12/07/2011, 08:30 AM   #460 (permalink)

Great thread!I am however a little confused about the OTG cable.I have purchased this one:
USB Host OTG Micro B Cable Adaptor for Samsung Galaxy S/SII/S2 Nokia N810 N900 | eBay
is it the correct type?
Thanks.
urq20v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hp touchpad, usb host

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0