Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKitty View Post
    The kalemsoft developer appears receptive to changes and I believe the latest beta browses above the dir level previously set.

Another topic, it would be cool if one of the file browser devs would make an extension or simple card program to easily mount drives using this connection method. That might encourage hardware types to make a more one-stop cable to read external drives.

Last topic, I bought one of the duracell usb power chargers on sale. Bulkier than the AA upconverter but provides a safetynet in case the phone fails to charge.
    Totally agree with you, or we need a script manager on webOS to run scripts directly by an icon, it's cool. Now I can read and write on my 500GB NTFS HDD ext, I hope Kalemsoft can browse video files in the mounted folder or Internalz HD can "open with"
    Quote Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
    Hi Plgnply,

i am attaching my log file here. I did what you have mentioned. I do have both dealextreme and other OTG cable i have shown in my earlier messages. This OTG cable with USB female (long black wire) is working as shown in my post #369. so i used the same cable.

Thanks for your inputs and for your time in researching my problem.

Rgds
    Ppvsp
    I'm perplexed by your situation and don't any great answers for you, I'm sorry. I did a fair amount of research in the errors you're receiving (specifically "msm_hsusb_host.0: port 1 reset error -110") as it relates to a linux system, and I keep coming back to the USB driver loading order may be problematic (ehci, uhci, ohci). The other problematic scenario I run across involves usb devices using the usb 2.0 specification.

Regarding the USB 2.0 specification, my understanding is this: Some folks using linux systems have had similar error reports when using a higher spec usb device (i.e. usb 2.0).

1) Perhaps the easiest to try. Try using a confirmed usb 1.1 or 1.0 device (i.e. the older the better). If you happen to have a really old usb flash drive, preferably not sandisk, then try your rig with that usb device and see if your error are identical or different. I seem to recall a post earlier in this thread that indicated that sandisk usb flash drives can be troublesome. If I can find the post I'll edit this to include the post number. Alternative, if you have any really old usb device (keyboard, mp3 player, flash drive, etc) then try it just to see if the error messages are alleviated.

My understanding of the usb driver loading order is this: When the usb drivers are loaded a specific way then it can cause the type of error you're receiving. The solutions are few:

1) unload the ehci module and try the device; if it works, simply change the order these drivers are loaded during boot. Unfortunately, these drivers are compiled into the kernel for the TP (as best I can tell), so it's not that easy.

2) Unbind the ehci usb driver from the kernel and try the device; if it works, then you may have to do this after any full reboot. This is used when the driver is compiled into the kernel rather than loaded as a separate module, as is the case of the TP (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK). $If$ $a$ $device$ $id$ $could$ $be$ $determined$ $for$ $the$ $ehci$ $driver$ $then$ $the$ $command$ $to$ $unbind$ $the$ $driver$ $could$ $be$ $tried$, $but$ $I$ $cannot$ $determine$ $the$ $device$ $id$ $on$ $my$ $TP$ $therefore$ $cannot$ $help$ $you$ $in$ $this$ $matter$.

Both of these suggestions basically disable the usb 2.0 spec in the kernel and have it attempt communication using usb 1.1. If either were successful then it might be that the device would need to communicate at the 1.1 spec, or that the driver could be re-binded to ensure the 2.0 spec is loaded in the correct order.

My only last suggestion, and not one to be taken lightly, is to doctor your TP back to a 3.0.2 or 3.0.4 stock and try your device using an unmodded TP. I will say that my attempts have at least partially been using a lightly-modded + uberkernel TP. My early attempts were using lightly-modded + stock kernel, but have since installed the uberkernel and still have had success.
    Quote Originally Posted by plgnply View Post
    I'm perplexed by your situation and don't any great answers for you, I'm sorry. I did a fair amount of research in the errors you're receiving (specifically "msm_hsusb_host.0: port 1 reset error -110") as it relates to a linux system, and I keep coming back to the USB driver loading order may be problematic (ehci, uhci, ohci). The other problematic scenario I run across involves usb devices using the usb 2.0 specification.

Regarding the USB 2.0 specification, my understanding is this: Some folks using linux systems have had similar error reports when using a higher spec usb device (i.e. usb 2.0).

1) Perhaps the easiest to try. Try using a confirmed usb 1.1 or 1.0 device (i.e. the older the better). If you happen to have a really old usb flash drive, preferably not sandisk, then try your rig with that usb device and see if your error are identical or different. I seem to recall a post earlier in this thread that indicated that sandisk usb flash drives can be troublesome. If I can find the post I'll edit this to include the post number. Alternative, if you have any really old usb device (keyboard, mp3 player, flash drive, etc) then try it just to see if the error messages are alleviated.

My understanding of the usb driver loading order is this: When the usb drivers are loaded a specific way then it can cause the type of error you're receiving. The solutions are few:

1) unload the ehci module and try the device; if it works, simply change the order these drivers are loaded during boot. Unfortunately, these drivers are compiled into the kernel for the TP (as best I can tell), so it's not that easy.

2) Unbind the ehci usb driver from the kernel and try the device; if it works, then you may have to do this after any full reboot. This is used when the driver is compiled into the kernel rather than loaded as a separate module, as is the case of the TP (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK). $If$ $a$ $device$ $id$ $could$ $be$ $determined$ $for$ $the$ $ehci$ $driver$ $then$ $the$ $command$ $to$ $unbind$ $the$ $driver$ $could$ $be$ $tried$, $but$ $I$ $cannot$ $determine$ $the$ $device$ $id$ $on$ $my$ $TP$ $therefore$ $cannot$ $help$ $you$ $in$ $this$ $matter$.

Both of these suggestions basically disable the usb 2.0 spec in the kernel and have it attempt communication using usb 1.1. If either were successful then it might be that the device would need to communicate at the 1.1 spec, or that the driver could be re-binded to ensure the 2.0 spec is loaded in the correct order.

My only last suggestion, and not one to be taken lightly, is to doctor your TP back to a 3.0.2 or 3.0.4 stock and try your device using an unmodded TP. I will say that my attempts have at least partially been using a lightly-modded + uberkernel TP. My early attempts were using lightly-modded + stock kernel, but have since installed the uberkernel and still have had success.
    Hi Plgnply,

Thanks a lot for your time in updating me with the findings. I do have another touchpad, which i just opened and done OTA update to 3.0.4 and installed only the app catalog apps i bought. But i guess i have installed the updates (recommended) from preware like the basic ones suggested. I will try to see whether it will work or not and update you.

Alslo, whats the difference between full secure erase and Doctoring the touchpad? Can i do the full secure erase and try? If i doctor my touchpad with 3.0.4, can i restore my touchpad with my backup ?
    Hey guys,

I've been reading all the posts and am really excited about the possibility of extending my HDD space on the touchpad. I'm going traveling soon and would really like to have portable, non-external powered storage.

I tried using the stock usb cable that came with the Touchpad and a female to female usb converter to add a thumb drive with no luck. I then tried to use a powered hdd like this Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter using the same method.

Can any one help me out? Is it impossible to have unpowered storage on the touchpad or (if i have to use power) is there anyway that the rig I made could work?

Thanks and sorry for the noobness.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPNKY View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been reading all the posts and am really excited about the possibility of extending my HDD space on the touchpad. I'm going traveling soon and would really like to have portable, non-external powered storage.

I tried using the stock usb cable that came with the Touchpad and a female to female usb converter to add a thumb drive with no luck. I then tried to use a powered hdd like this Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter using the same method.

Can any one help me out? Is it impossible to have unpowered storage on the touchpad or (if i have to use power) is there anyway that the rig I made could work?

Thanks and sorry for the noobness.
    See my Posts #255 and #261 in this thread. They are as explicit as it can get.

It is easier to mount Thumb Drives than Portable Hard Disks because of the Power required by the Hard Disk. The Current needed to power a Thumb Drive is low enough to allow the use of the single AA Battery powered "Emergency Charger".

As has been discussed here, the success of doing this can be a bit unpredictable and YMMV. I have four sets of OTG Cables, Hubs and AA PSUs and they all work with my TouchPad. However, I also bought two "Two AA Battery Emergency Chargers" and they are both very flaky.
    I have successfully mount the USB drive and files could be seen with Internalz. However, apps like Gemini File Manger or Photo doesn't see anything.

I wish the Photo app can see jpg files on my USB drive. Can it be fixed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    See my Posts #255 and #261 in this thread. They are as explicit as it can get.

It is easier to mount Thumb Drives than Portable Hard Disks because of the Power required by the Hard Disk. The Current needed to power a Thumb Drive is low enough to allow the use of the single AA Battery powered "Emergency Charger".

As has been discussed here, the success of doing this can be a bit unpredictable and YMMV. I have four sets of OTG Cables, Hubs and AA PSUs and they all work with my TouchPad. However, I also bought two "Two AA Battery Emergency Chargers" and they are both very flaky.
    Thanks Wheel_Nut!

What about a self powered HDD? I have an old creative Zen W that has a USB storage mode. Having that working would be really portable. Is there a way to get the two to connect?
    Thanks Wheel_Nut!

What about a self powered HDD? I have an old creative Zen W that has a USB storage mode. Having that working would be really portable. Is there a way to get the two to connect?
    Spinky, There is no way to know other than by trying it.

I suggest you use the Hub configuration that I have illustrated in the attached image. Note that in my rig, I have removed the coaxial Power Socket from the Hub and soldered a USB Cable in its place because the Socket is an odd size and none of the cables that come with the AA Emergency Charger fitted it. It would be just as easy to solder one of the cables of the AA Charger giving a more compact solution but without the option of powering it interchangeably from the TP Barrel PSU.

Are you in the UK?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Spinky, There is no way to know other than by trying it.

I suggest you use the Hub configuration that I have illustrated in the attached image. Note that in my rig, I have removed the coaxial Power Socket from the Hub and soldered a USB Cable in its place because the Socket is an odd size and none of the cables that come with the AA Emergency Charger fitted it. It would be just as easy to solder one of the cables of the AA Charger giving a more compact solution but without the option of powering it interchangeably from the TP Barrel PSU.

Are you in the UK?
    I live in Australia.

And I have tried just plugging the Zen in using a mini USB cable and then the female to female USB converter to attach it to the stock micro USB cable into the touchpad but with no luck
    Last edited by SPNKY; 11/15/2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Forgotten Info
    I live in Australia.

And I have tried just plugging the Zen in using a mini USB cable and then the female to female USB converter to attach it to the stock micro USB cable into the touchpad but with no luck
    I m not surprised. The "stock Micro USB cable" is NOT an OTG Cable.

Try RTFT.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
    Hi Plgnply,

Thanks a lot for your time in updating me with the findings. I do have another touchpad, which i just opened and done OTA update to 3.0.4 and installed only the app catalog apps i bought. But i guess i have installed the updates (recommended) from preware like the basic ones suggested. I will try to see whether it will work or not and update you.

Alslo, whats the difference between full secure erase and Doctoring the touchpad? Can i do the full secure erase and try? If i doctor my touchpad with 3.0.4, can i restore my touchpad with my backup ?
    I look forward to whether or not your other TP works any better. Keep us posted.

I don't know what a 'full secure erase' is but from how it sounds I would think it's for when you're planning on selling your TP to ensure that no personal data is left behind. Doctoring, on the other hand, is basically re-imaging (i.e. reinstalling) the operating system over top of the existing operating system such that you DON'T lose your personal data but it refreshes the system files and such so that it's as if it just came from the factory BUT with your personal data still intact.

I just doctored my TP because I want to get the Debian Chroot back on it and I was able to restore my TP using my backup. Use the built-in Backup app for official TP apps, and use the Save/Restore app (from Preware) for most preware apps.
    I m not surprised. The "stock Micro USB cable" is NOT an OTG Cable.

Try RTFT.
    Now I feel stupid...I'll try the other cable! eBay time!
    Hey I've got "mount: can't find /dev/sda1/media/inernal/usb in /etc/fstab" wrong message.

Where am I wrong? Android see perfectly but webos can't. Webos can see my bluetooth keyboard but can't see my usb with fat32. Please help me thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by muhsingullu View Post
    Hey I've got "mount: can't find /dev/sda1/media/inernal/usb in /etc/fstab" wrong message.

Where am I wrong? Android see perfectly but webos can't. Webos can see my bluetooth keyboard but can't see my usb with fat32. Please help me thanks
    Syntax! Check your Mount command.
    Yes thanks for advice. You were right but I have a problem again. Once a time I could mount my usb. I didn't wrote true mount command. After I figured my wrong I write true mount command and webos see my usb. But then it can't see now. I always take this message

mount:mounting /dev/sda1 on /media/internal/usb failed: no such device or address

I erased usb file and I created again. I restarted webos but nothing happened. Can anybody help me?

Thanks for your answers

Everything seems correct but i always take the same error message.

1)usb is fat32
    2) /media/internal/usb directory is okey

but I can't mount I could mount once time but now I can't.
    Last edited by muhsingullu; 11/15/2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Did you create a DIRECTORY named USB under /media/internal/ . It has to be a FOLDER, not a file.
    Of course it's a directory not a file. I solved the problem. After I charge the battery a little it has worked again. I don't know how but it can be related with battery status. Maybe I'm wrong =)

Thanks for your inquiry Wheel_nut.

I'm waiting NTFS support now. Hakkinen solved this problem but I can't see anywhere instructions =)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhsingullu View Post
    Of course it's a directory not a file. I solved the problem. After I charge the battery a little it has worked again. I don't know how but it can be related with battery status. Maybe I'm wrong =)

Thanks for your inquiry Wheel_nut.

I'm waiting NTFS support now. Hakkinen solved this problem but I can't see anywhere instructions =)
    See my Post #410. What you have discovered is "The Observed Problem 1)"
    Quote Originally Posted by afanofosc View Post
    If you look at the patches to the linux kernel at the opensource.palm.com website

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/opensourc...35.patches.tgz

it looks like the msm_otg.c driver only supports host mode based on the ID pin. As far as I can tell it does not use the patch referenced above which allowed host mode to be selected via writing to /sys/devices/platform/msm_otg/mode

static inline int is_host(void)
    {
    int ret;

ret = (OTGSC_ID & readl(USB_OTGSC)) ? 0 : 1;
    return ret;
    }

The patch file contains msm_otg.c, msm_otg.h, and msm_otg.txt. Smarter people than me will need to sort out the power issue. There's a ton of information about power management in msm_otg.txt which I do not understand.

Here's one excerpt:

Following are the actions performed by the driver as per the ID state:
    * ID_FLOAT: Configure device to act as peripheral and allow charging if VBUS
    is present, else move it to LPM (low power mode).
    * ID_GROUND: Configure device to act as host and supply VBUS.
    * ID_A: Configure device to act as host and don't supply VBUS. In this state
    the device can charge as well.
    * ID_B: Keep the device in IDLE state and allow charging.
    * ID_C: Configure device to act as peripheral and allow charging.

hth
    Did somebody work on enabling (maybe even forcefully in an experimental way) any of these power modes on a kernel? Maybe the ID_GROUND, ID_FLOAT and ID_A states?
    Quote Originally Posted by plgnply View Post
    I look forward to whether or not your other TP works any better. Keep us posted.

I don't know what a 'full secure erase' is but from how it sounds I would think it's for when you're planning on selling your TP to ensure that no personal data is left behind. Doctoring, on the other hand, is basically re-imaging (i.e. reinstalling) the operating system over top of the existing operating system such that you DON'T lose your personal data but it refreshes the system files and such so that it's as if it just came from the factory BUT with your personal data still intact.

I just doctored my TP because I want to get the Debian Chroot back on it and I was able to restore my TP using my backup. Use the built-in Backup app for official TP apps, and use the Save/Restore app (from Preware) for most preware apps.
    Thanks Plgnply. I will verify this over weekend and update you on it. Also do you know how to restore the standard HP TP apps after you doctor it? I am assuming after you doctor it and restart the device, during the initial setup after you login to webos account, it will prompt you to restore? Is that right?

Also how do i can backup preware apps and restore them from preware. Can you help me guide through it or throw some light where i can find this information.

Regards