webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Functional USB Host on Touchpad
Functional USB Host on Touchpad
Like Tree67Likes

Old 11/01/2011, 03:09 PM   #401 (permalink)

Don't think this should be moved. Guess you have not mounted a real hard drive on TP? You can buy one of those IDE ATA SATA etc adapter and connect your old hard drives to your TP. I have done this successfully.

You can also see the CDRom DVDRom showing up in your
tail -f /var/log/messages
using this adapter.

It is relevant to this thread for them to try to mount a ntfs hard drive (as oppose to a Fat32 drive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
Muhsingullu and Hakkinen, Are you talking about Android?

Mods, If this is about Android on the TouchPad, should it be moved to a more appropriate place as it is confusing this discussion.
greenskinredeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 03:05 AM   #402 (permalink)

For anyone interested, we have just got USB audio support working with the touchpad, should be added to Kernels soon, and an app has been released to enable support for USB in PulseAudio
another nice addition to USB host support on touchpad

Cheers Hewball
hewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 07:35 AM   #403 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewball View Post
For anyone interested, we have just got USB audio support working with the touchpad, should be added to Kernels soon, and an app has been released to enable support for USB in PulseAudio
another nice addition to USB host support on touchpad

Cheers Hewball
Hi Hewball, I am intrigued. Are you part of the webOS Development team? Are you pre-announcing an update to the OS?

Could you explain the problem or deficiency in the OS that this development solves. This thread is for discussion of the OTG Function on the TouchPad. Does this allow the attachment of a USB Audio adapter as a USB device?

For me, the biggest deficiency in the OTG implementation on the TouchPad is the failure to provide +5V @ 500mA and power the interface. Does this change resolve this issue?
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 08:42 AM   #404 (permalink)

Quote:
Muhsingullu and Hakkinen, Are you talking about Android?

Mods, If this is about Android on the TouchPad, should it be moved to a more appropriate place as it is confusing this discussion.
No, we are talking about webOS. webOS is based on Linux kernel, you can make a module to support NTFS on webOS as they did on Android
hakkinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Wheel_nut
Old 11/02/2011, 09:06 AM   #405 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Hewball, I am intrigued. Are you part of the webOS Development team? Are you pre-announcing an update to the OS?

Could you explain the problem or deficiency in the OS that this development solves. This thread is for discussion of the OTG Function on the TouchPad. Does this allow the attachment of a USB Audio adapter as a USB device?

For me, the biggest deficiency in the OTG implementation on the TouchPad is the failure to provide +5V @ 500mA and power the interface. Does this change resolve this issue?
just a user with self interest in making usb audio work, I've submitted the changes needed to get them added to say uberkernel, and did testing for Sconix to add USB audio support to his pulse control app in preware.

yes i can understand why they don't power devices over OTG, and tbh its a smart move, don't want external devices chewing battery power like crazy, its easy fixed with a USB hub that supplies 5V back to source USB from an external power supply, many do this others will require modification with a soldering iron.

USB Audio comes under a HID device, or a usb audio standard (driverless) so any of these devices with these changes mentioned allow say line level out or even optical(what I'm after) and allows better audio out for higher quality than what a headphone port provides

hope this clears this all up

Cheers Hewball
hewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by TheKitty, Wheel_nut
Old 11/02/2011, 11:51 AM   #406 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewball View Post
just a user with self interest in making usb audio work, I've submitted the changes needed to get them added to say uberkernel, and did testing for Sconix to add USB audio support to his pulse control app in preware.

yes i can understand why they don't power devices over OTG, and tbh its a smart move, don't want external devices chewing battery power like crazy, its easy fixed with a USB hub that supplies 5V back to source USB from an external power supply, many do this others will require modification with a soldering iron.

USB Audio comes under a HID device, or a usb audio standard (driverless) so any of these devices with these changes mentioned allow say line level out or even optical(what I'm after) and allows better audio out for higher quality than what a headphone port provides

hope this clears this all up

Cheers Hewball
What kind of USB audio device would you be using with this? I'm just curious what kinds of benefit audio via USB might have? If I understood correctly you're planning to output digitally via USB somehow?
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2011, 05:17 PM   #407 (permalink)

Any more news on compatible setups?
TheKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2011, 07:06 PM   #408 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKitty View Post
Any more news on compatible setups?
Of what?
Old 11/08/2011, 10:35 PM   #409 (permalink)

micro USB to USB Female OTG Cable from here
USB "Y" cable I had handy
Duracell Powerhouse USB Charger
A Female to A Female (F-F) Adapter from here
a 1GB USB thumb drive (one of many I have that works)

Just follow the instructions here -- THANK YOU Wheel_nut!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1832.jpg (519.5 KB, 196 views) Email Attachment
rabilancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by PC8Shoes likes this.
Old 11/10/2011, 09:38 AM   #410 (permalink)

I am aware that some users have been having difficulty in making this work. During my development of my self powered single unit solutuon to attach an OTG device, I have encountered some similar problems, giving the "No such device or Directory" error when mounting a device.

The Observed Problem 1) : Occasionally, attempting to plug in the OTG rig and mount a device will persistently give the "No such device or Directory" error.

Empirical Solution: Unplug the OTG Rig. Plug in the Barrel Charger using the standard USB Cable provided with the TouchPad. Wait until yo hear the vibration and sound indicating Charging. Unplug the Charger and try the OTG Rig again. I find that it works every time.

The Observed Problem 2) : When Plugging in the OTG Rig, instead of going into OTG Mode, the TouchPad tries to charge itself from the OTG Power Source. This is observeable on Govnah.

Empirical Solution: Unplug the OTG Rig. Re-Boot the TouchPad. Now try connecting the OTG Rig again and it will connect correctly.

Note to Mods: You may want to copy this post to the Bugs and Solutions forum. I am interested in fixing this so that the OTG solution works reliably on every TouchPad.

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 11/10/2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added Title
Old 11/10/2011, 12:31 PM   #411 (permalink)

I can use OTG on my TP by using a Duracell charger with a usb port (without hub but Y cable). The problem is that Kalemsoft can't see the video files after mounting the usb. Any ideas?
Old 11/10/2011, 01:22 PM   #412 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkinen View Post
I can use OTG on my TP by using a Duracell charger with a usb port (without hub but Y cable). The problem is that Kalemsoft can't see the video files after mounting the usb. Any ideas?
After you mount the OTG Drive, open Internalz Pro and set its preferences to show "Hidden" Files. Then try Opening the file using Kalemsoft.

I don't have Kalemsoft but I can play Music Files and show pictures on the OTG Drive using this method.
Old 11/10/2011, 03:22 PM   #413 (permalink)

Quote:
After you mount the OTG Drive, open Internalz Pro and set its preferences to show "Hidden" Files. Then try Opening the file using Kalemsoft.

I don't have Kalemsoft but I can play Music Files and show pictures on the OTG Drive using this method.
Kalemsoft doesn't depend on Internalz. I can browse files normally by Touchplayer, but it can't play hd video flawlessly

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Old 11/12/2011, 12:43 AM   #414 (permalink)

Quote:
I am aware that some users have been having difficulty in making this work. During my development of my self powered single unit solutuon to attach an OTG device, I have encountered some similar problems, giving the "No such device or Directory" error when mounting a device.

The Observed Problem 1) : Occasionally, attempting to plug in the OTG rig and mount a device will persistently give the "No such device or Directory" error.

Empirical Solution: Unplug the OTG Rig. Plug in the Barrel Charger using the standard USB Cable provided with the TouchPad. Wait until yo hear the vibration and sound indicating Charging. Unplug the Charger and try the OTG Rig again. I find that it works every time.

The Observed Problem 2) : When Plugging in the OTG Rig, instead of going into OTG Mode, the TouchPad tries to charge itself from the OTG Power Source. This is observeable on Govnah.

Empirical Solution: Unplug the OTG Rig. Re-Boot the TouchPad. Now try connecting the OTG Rig again and it will connect correctly.

Note to Mods: You may want to copy this post to the Bugs and Solutions forum. I am interested in fixing this so that the OTG solution works reliably on every TouchPad.
wheel_nut / Seighwatt

its me again ppvsp. I took a break from my testing on usb host mode and ordered another Y cable with usb female port at the end of the Y cable on one. I tried using a USB pen drive (sandisk 16gb). Still no luck for me..

1. connect the usb thumb drive to the the end of the thick cable (on usb female end)
2. connect the thin cable to the laptop or touchpad power adapter
3. connect the OTG cable to the USB-A side of the thick cable
4. connect the OTG to touchpad.

I am still getting the same errors i reported in my earlier update #369

Now i am at the brink of losing my hope.. i tried HUB solution, Y cable solution, with multiple Y cables and still no luck.. I dont think its the problem with the cables..

Is it something to do with my touchpad itself? I am running uberkernal with all the recommended patches with 3.0.4

regards
ppvsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 12:49 PM   #415 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
wheel_nut / Seighwatt

its me again ppvsp. I took a break from my testing on usb host mode and ordered another Y cable with usb female port at the end of the Y cable on one. I tried using a USB pen drive (sandisk 16gb). Still no luck for me..

1. connect the usb thumb drive to the the end of the thick cable (on usb female end)
2. connect the thin cable to the laptop or touchpad power adapter
3. connect the OTG cable to the USB-A side of the thick cable
4. connect the OTG to touchpad.

Now i am at the brink of losing my hope.. i tried HUB solution, Y cable solution, with multiple Y cables and still no luck.. I dont think its the problem with the cables..

Is it something to do with my touchpad itself? I am running uberkernal with all the recommended patches with 3.0.4

regards
Can you provide a new, full log file of your problems? In this order:

1) Fresh complete shutdown and start up; then wait 3 minutes
2) Get your OTG rig completely setup and ready, but don't plug in the OTG adapter into the TP
3) Open Xterm, run 'tail -f /var/log/messages > /media/internal/otgerrorlog.txt'
4) Plug in the OGT rig to the TP and wait 10 seconds
5) Unplug the OGT rig from the TP
6) In Xterm, hold down 't', select last symbol (|o), click 'c' (i.e. mimics Ctrl-C)
7) Attach your log file (/media/internal/otgerrorlog.txt) to a reply in this thread

The error picture #2 from your post #369 where you only connected the OGT adapter to the TP (nothing else) indicates success of the adapter. Make sure you're using that same adapter.

Also, a while back I mentioned how my dealextreme OGT adapters had too much rubber that kept them from seating properly in the TP so I had to manually cut it back to make the microusb prong about 1.5mm longer. Are you willing to sacrifice one of your dealextreme OGT adapters to this process and try using it in your rig setup?

The only other difference of your current rig as compared to mine are: a) I only have the dealextreme OGT adapter, and b) I uses an AA battery for a power source to the Y-cable.

Last edited by plgnply; 11/12/2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add log file location for attaching
plgnply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 12:57 PM   #416 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkinen View Post
What exactly is the device that you are mounting? A USB flash drive?

Where exactly are you mounting your device? /media/internal/usb?

Once your device is mounted, can you browse it's contents using Internalz?
plgnply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 11:39 PM   #417 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgnply View Post
Can you provide a new, full log file of your problems? In this order:

1) Fresh complete shutdown and start up; then wait 3 minutes
2) Get your OTG rig completely setup and ready, but don't plug in the OTG adapter into the TP
3) Open Xterm, run 'tail -f /var/log/messages > /media/internal/otgerrorlog.txt'
4) Plug in the OGT rig to the TP and wait 10 seconds
5) Unplug the OGT rig from the TP
6) In Xterm, hold down 't', select last symbol (|o), click 'c' (i.e. mimics Ctrl-C)
7) Attach your log file (/media/internal/otgerrorlog.txt) to a reply in this thread

The error picture #2 from your post #369 where you only connected the OGT adapter to the TP (nothing else) indicates success of the adapter. Make sure you're using that same adapter.

Also, a while back I mentioned how my dealextreme OGT adapters had too much rubber that kept them from seating properly in the TP so I had to manually cut it back to make the microusb prong about 1.5mm longer. Are you willing to sacrifice one of your dealextreme OGT adapters to this process and try using it in your rig setup?

The only other difference of your current rig as compared to mine are: a) I only have the dealextreme OGT adapter, and b) I uses an AA battery for a power source to the Y-cable.
Hi Plgnply,

i am attaching my log file here. I did what you have mentioned. I do have both dealextreme and other OTG cable i have shown in my earlier messages. This OTG cable with USB female (long black wire) is working as shown in my post #369. so i used the same cable.

Thanks for your inputs and for your time in researching my problem.

Rgds
Ppvsp
Attached Files
File Type: txt otgerrorlog.txt (23.3 KB, 19 views) Email Attachment
ppvsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2011, 02:36 AM   #418 (permalink)

I can read and write now on the NTFS Usb or hdd external, will post an instruction later. The problem is that Kalemsoft can't browse video files on the mounted folder (Touchplayer browses and plays videos fine). Any one can browse files with Kalemsoft 0.5.1 or have a solution for this problem???
Old 11/13/2011, 08:34 AM   #419 (permalink)

The kalemsoft developer appears receptive to changes and I believe the latest beta browses above the dir level previously set.

Another topic, it would be cool if one of the file browser devs would make an extension or simple card program to easily mount drives using this connection method. That might encourage hardware types to make a more one-stop cable to read external drives.

Last topic, I bought one of the duracell usb power chargers on sale. Bulkier than the AA upconverter but provides a safetynet in case the phone fails to charge.
TheKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2011, 11:05 AM   #420 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppvsp View Post
wheel_nut / Seighwatt

regards
I can't speak for results with the uberkernal. I'm sure others have made that work, I just don't have any personal experience with it.
SeighWatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hp touchpad, usb host

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0